• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

for those with a MP3 changer...

yo

Registered Member
I am getting ready to install the alpine MP3 changer into my 91. I am going to leave the stock head unit instact, just replacing the changer itself. I have been told that when the changer gets to song 100, the display reads 01 on the head unit. This brings up a few questions:

1) how does one directly select say song 167 (167 pushes of skip?)
2) how do you guys categorize your cd's? do i have to just say, here are 6 cd's of random mp3's?

-ryan

yo said:

1) how does one directly select say song 167 (167 pushes of skip?)
2) how do you guys categorize your cd's? do i have to just say, here are 6 cd's of random mp3's?

-ryan

1) Push the back button until you are able to access the last song

2) I put mine in individual folders.

1. you are correct... you must push the advance button 167 times. This isn't practical so I don't really try to locate songs.. just put the disk in and select random play and let it go.

2. I just dump all the files to the root directory. The head unit does not show folders anyway. If you have them in folders, it still groups them as if they were all in the root directory.

2) I put mine in individual folders.

uh, does this work on the headunit? i have read it does not, but the changer is folder aware...

i have also read about using the 'direct' option on the headunit. does this feature work for songs over 99?

1. you are correct... you must push the advance button 167 times. This isn't practical so I don't really try to locate songs.. just put the disk in and select random play and let it go.

what about if you are in a 'mood' for a particular type o music. i was think about making a couple random cd's for slots 1-3 and then maybe a few catergorized cd's for the last slots...

mikec said:
...you must push the advance button 167 times...

Hmmm, that's what I thought. This is Reason Number 1 why I passed on an mp3 player. Invariable, the song I will want to hear will be song 398 (or was that 394? 402?). :D

Reason Number 2 is that, because I am a big fan of the latest hip-hop grooves, I end up cutting my own discs regularly (all legit of course). Even if I had an mp3 disc(s) that had my current favorite set of songs, I would need to update it in a fortnight (or a month) to burn the latest songs on the waves. So not only would I need to reburn the CD, but I would also need to figure out which 18 songs on the current playlist I need to get rid off to make space for the new set.

There are definite benefits to having an mp3 player -- don't get me wrong. Lots of Primers have them here. I think it would be a boon if you've got a dedicated set of songs by a particular artist you just love and want to compile or, say, if you are planning to take a long road trip and don't want to have to stop every six hours to reload -- there are numerous other reasons as well. For me personally, however, I find I prefer having a recent model of a regular CD-changer, and just keep cutting new discs when I've got the latest hits.

Regards.

You can always just use the MP3 changer as a regular changer. It's still one of the newest Alpine units and is pretty cheap.

Personally, I do a combination of genre CDs and the regularly updated custom favorites disc. The genre CDs I really load up with nearly my whole library of a given genre. The custom favorites just includes my favorites. If I can fit it on a Redbook image, I dont even use the MP3 capability on that one...

spookyp said:
You can always just use the MP3 changer as a regular changer. It's still one of the newest Alpine units and is pretty cheap...

I agree. Except that since I don't really create genre CD's, rather than using an MP3 changer like a regular CD changer, I'd just rather save myself the money (still about a $75 dollar differential, which represents half the cost of the latest non-MP3 Alpine CHM series, the S30) and buy a regular CD changer.

Regards.

Back