• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Forced induction clutch choices

It is time to change out the tranny to short gears,at that time i will change out the clutch. I am wondering what choices people have made concerning forced induction and clutch choices. I have a CTSC (Autorotor) with an exedy twin disk race clutch i may go with or redue the stock clutch ,or?

Well, I can say i just put a RPS. I love it! that as far as build-quality, I don't think you can beat it. It comes with a lighten flywheel, as well the whole Assembly is lighter than stock. The RPS Aluminum Flywheel @ 8lbs is 7.5lbs lighter than the OEM 5 speed fly and ~26lbs. lighter than the OEM 6 speed fly - either way it allows way more HP to get through to the wheels. I could
not be any more satisfied with the clutch :biggrin:

I don't know how much power you are making but there are 2 stages.
I just have intake on my car, but i am putting a 75 shot on my car, I have the stage 1. I know it will be good for that. If you are FI than maybe the stage 2 ?

RPS stage 1 is 450ft lbs
RPS stage 2 is 550ft lds

I'd recommend the RPS with a street disc. Very good quality, and very smooth engagement.

Again, I can't say enough about how happy i am with the RPS. It is not a totally on or off clutch. Like ELITE said it has nice engagement, It improved the ease of shifting. It let you use half pedal engagement shifts. I am still braking my in. So i have not yet broke the tires lose :biggrin: , or chirp them. ( 400 miles brake in at least) The motor rev's Noticeable quicker. losing weight in that area is a big help to performance. No chattering at low idol, or at take offs.

I am installing the RPS clutch tomorrow. I drove a car with the older version and I was VERY impressed. No chattering and it wasn't like a on / off switch. I hear the new version is improved as far as pedal feel (takes a little less effort). Science Of Speed sells the latest version of the RPS and they usually ship them out in a reasonable amount of time.

Sockeye said:
It is time to change out the tranny to short gears,at that time i will change out the clutch. I am wondering what choices people have made concerning forced induction and clutch choices. I have a CTSC (Autorotor) with an exedy twin disk race clutch i may go with or redue the stock clutch ,or?

I highly recommend against the Exedy. You will find it extremely shuddery and noisey making street driving very difficult. The RPS in comparison is lighter and much easier to engage for use on the street and track.

Regards,
-- Chris

brandonson said:
I am installing the RPS clutch tomorrow. I drove a car with the older version and I was VERY impressed. No chattering and it wasn't like a on / off switch. I hear the new version is improved as far as pedal feel (takes a little less effort). Science Of Speed sells the latest version of the RPS and they usually ship them out in a reasonable amount of time.

Congrats on the RPS choice. I think it's the best clutch available. Smooth as silk engagement but quick too--almost a contradiction. No shudder at all. Great quality product. The pedal effort is significantly more, but totally daily driveable and livable. You adjust quickly.

Chris, is the new style indeed less pedal effort? Can you elaborate on that? Is there any adjustment/substitution available for the existing older style? How much improvement is there in effort?

It's been my experience that the stock clutch is good for around 400 rwhp give or take. I've been running the stock clutch in my SC'd NSX @ 400 rwhp until recently (actually, it's still on the car). I'm building the engine for more boost/HP, so I've opted to swap for the RPS.

CDX_NSX said:
It's been my experience that the stock clutch is good for around 400 rwhp give or take. I've been running the stock clutch in my SC'd NSX @ 400 rwhp until recently (actually, it's still on the car). I'm building the engine for more boost/HP, so I've opted to swap for the RPS.

The stock clutch can handle 400 RWHP no problem. How many actual miles were put on it running that much HP? :biggrin:

There is on one clutch and it will be the last one you will EVER need and 500rwhp is no problem its the TILTON 3 disk composit with light weight flywheel the whole thing wieghs only a few pounds. You will never need to replace it so spend the $5K and never have to do it again. My twin turbo race car loves it.

Steve

Call Shad @ Comptech to order 1-888-626-6783 ext 3

NSXGMS said:
The stock clutch can handle 400 RWHP no problem. How many actual miles were put on it running that much HP? :biggrin:
I'm not absolutely sure as I bought with the SC. However, I believe that it was somewhere around 15k to 20k. It's actually still fine.

CDX_NSX said:

I have the stock clutch in mine also and it does just fine. However, I will upgrade it when its time comes. The BBSC doesn't make a TON of TQ, so I think it is probably easier on the clutch than the CTSC.

Why no love for the Exedy twin:confused: I have it in my high HP car (FD) and now the NSX thats getting the CTSC. It will take some time to adjust YOUR driving but it's light, revs fast, and is positively on but you can slip it if you want.

Jeff

Chris@SoS said:
I highly recommend against the Exedy. You will find it extremely shuddery and noisey making street driving very difficult. The RPS in comparison is lighter and much easier to engage for use on the street and track.

Regards,
-- Chris

Ive got the stock clutch in my car and its held up perfectly for 5k miles of hard, hard driving:biggrin:

ANYTIME said:
Mine went south after 6k miles.
Put SOS on speed dial on your phone .............RPS baby! :biggrin:

Shockingly enough, mine is still PERFECT! I installed my clutch about 1000 miles before my CTSC was installed:wink:

SDNSX said:
it's a lot cheaper if you buy from www.downforce.biz thats where i got mine

To save a few bucks, I'll pass and support a member of the community. If there is a problem, we all know that Chris is a stand up guy and would take care of it. I've never heard a thing about downforces customer service or lack there of.
I bought my RPS clutch from SOS and it included a new throwout bearing. Anyone else include that to make sure there are no issues?

ANYTIME said:
To save a few bucks, I'll pass and support a member of the community. If there is a problem, we all know that Chris is a stand up guy and would take care of it. I've never heard a thing about downforces customer service or lack there of.
I bought my RPS clutch from SOS and it included a new throwout bearing. Anyone else include that to make sure there are no issues?

anytime I don't blame you theres a lot of shady people out there, you probably have been burn by someone, I know I have. but if you ever do business with peter you will know he's the real deal.

SDNSX said:
anytime I don't blame you theres a lot of shady people out there, you probably have been burn by someone, I know I have. but if you ever do business with peter you will know he's the real deal.

I agree, peter is the real deal.

Indeed, not to turn this into a vendor vs. vendor thread, and not to take anything away from SOS, but I've met Peter (aka downforce, aka nsxpowered) and not only is he is a great guy, but also excellent to work with.

OK. Back to the topic of clutches. :D

Back