• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Forcing it into gear

Ive tried to look for this answer, but all I come upon is why 1st and reverse is hard to get into.

Im trying to find out why it is a BAD thing to force into a gear when its hard to get into it. Is it just as bad if the car wasnt moving?

Mike

Very bad to force it into gear. Before you start out, row through the gears. If you still can't get it into first, put it into second.. let out the clutch a little... then it should slide right into first.

Sounds like a syncro problem.

both of my nsxs could not get into 1st at speeds over 10mph and every nsx i've test driven was the same.

what causes a synchro to go bad? is it caused by poor shifting?

what causes a synchro to go bad?

mechanical wear

some say that replacing the syncro is expensive and simetimes worth just buying another tranny. Dont know how this is with the NSX. Some say its the slave cylinder leaking or the Hub Selector.

With all this options. Its hard to see what the real problem is, and changing all of these is ....wow expensive.

Mike

If the car is stationary and you have trouble after rowing the gears, then you have some sort of clutch drag. Could be adjustment, warped disk, broken spring on the disk, any number of things. If the car is moving and you have trouble with first, try double clutching. If you learn to double clutch properly, it will go in...tired synchros or not. This will also make your synchros last forever if you do it out of habit. I used to drive a Webster crash box on the street and it definitely improved my technique with the Hewland in the race car... not to mention that I got all the calls to bring home dead cars with broken clutch actuation.

kgb_agent said:
I have never attempted to shift into 1st above 10mph in any of my cars. Why would you?
If you went into a say 20 MPH turn. You would be so far off the power curve coming out in second that you would be giving up a lot. If you are just putting around, no problem. First gear is good for around 45 MPH. I would want it even at 30 MPH. Any slower and you would be out of VTEC for a long time in 2nd. See this FAQ.

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Technical/gearratios.htm

both of my nsxs could not get into 1st at speeds over 10mph and every nsx i've test driven was the same.

Without a double-clutch, my NSX will not go into 1st anytime over 10mph. Usually a double-clutch to 4500 RPM does the trick. Your RPM's would need to be higher for a higher speed downshift.

Before you start out, row through the gears.

I have forced myself to start doing this. Now out of habit I am always 'phantom' shifting at startup. I feel a little stupid when I am doing it. ;)

On a related topic, my first gear has always been nothcy as well. Even when the car is warm, 1st is a bit notchy. To double-clutch anything over 7000 PRM in first has proven to be difficult...

Ryan

I had my first gear replaced when I had the tranny overhaul over the past week. My first gear is so tight and smooth now. It can really agree with the tech that said my 1st gear was worn, upon test driving before service. The car only had 48K miles on it, so I guess 1st gear took some punishment over the past 12 years.

It drives like the 03' I test drove.

You might need some new gears in the transmission. ??????

Tommy

Now trying to decide on a new exhuast. Dali (599.99 or Paddock 700.00)????

Back