• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

frged pistons group buy

Hi everyone I recently starting looking into forged pistons and had a conversation with an acquaintance about just having some made as the cost could be a little cheaper than the available options the only down fall is I would need at least 10 people to have a run of pistons made. so here I am seeing who would be interested in taking advantage of this with me :)

Should enough interest be there then maybe other compressions and specs could be made as I am more than likely gonna want options myself for my rebuild next year.

so what was discussed is 800.00 a set but if the #s of interested buys is higher than I am sure I could get it dropped some too.

the spec's I want would be 90.5MM or 91MM with 9.5:1 compression I want something I can do a stock rebuild more or less but with the ability to boost safer as well as add a little nitrous.

so who's in?

91mm with 9.5:1
1) Blurynsx
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

91mm with 9.0:1
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

91mm with 11.0:1 for you N/A guys incase of an interest :)
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

the manufacturer I will be purchasing from will be Supertech 1)
http://www.supertechperformance.com/
I used there valves and pistons before and have had great success running 500WHP on b-series motors, really well known in other honda circles

Check with the engine guru's to make sure 91mm is OK and safe. I may be interested... Also what make of the pistons as well?

Stephen

the manufacturer I will be purchasing from will be Supertech
http://www.supertechperformance.com/
I used there valves and pistons before and have had great success running 500WHP on b-series motors, really well known in other honda circles

it was at the bottom so you may have missed it :p

This is a 4032 piston. The choice I would go for stroker applications that are normally aspirated.

If I wanted to focus on any FI applications I would go the route of the 2618 alloy.

The "4032" performance piston alloy has a silicon content of approximately 11%. 4032 is a high-silicon, low-expansion alloy. Pistons made from this alloy can be installed with tighter piston to bore clearance, resulting in a tighter seal with less noise. 4032 is a more stable alloy, so it will retain characteristics such as ring groove integrity, for longer life cycle applications. Relative to 2618, 4032 is a less ductile alloy, making it less forgiving when used with boosted and/or nitrous applications. This means that it expands less than a piston with no silicon, but since the silicon is fully alloyed on a molecular level (eutectic), the alloy is less brittle and more flexible than a stock hypereutectic "smog" piston. These pistons can survive mild detonation with less damage than stock pistons.

The "2618" performance piston alloy has less than 2% silicon. This alloy is capable of experiencing the most detonation and abuse while suffering the least amount of damage. Pistons made of this alloy are also typically made thicker and heavier because of their most common applications in commercial diesel engines. Both because of the higher than normal temperatures that these pistons experience in their usual application, and the low-silicon content causing the extra heat-expansion, these pistons have their cylinders bored to a very loose cold-fit. This leads to a condition known as "piston slap" which is when the piston rocks in the cylinder and it causes an audible tapping noise that continues until the engine has warmed to operational temperatures. These engines should not be revved when cold, or excessive scuffing can occur. 2618 is used for extreme-duty racing applications such as NASCAR, ALMS, Formula 1.

Last edited:
This is a 4032 piston. The choice I would go for stroker applications that are normally aspirated.

If I wanted to focus on any FI applications I would go the route of the 2618 alloy.

The "4032" performance piston alloy has a silicon content of approximately 11%. 4032 is a high-silicon, low-expansion alloy. Pistons made from this alloy can be installed with tighter piston to bore clearance, resulting in a tighter seal with less noise. 4032 is a more stable alloy, so it will retain characteristics such as ring groove integrity, for longer life cycle applications. Relative to 2618, 4032 is a less ductile alloy, making it less forgiving when used with boosted and/or nitrous applications. This means that it expands less than a piston with no silicon, but since the silicon is fully alloyed on a molecular level (eutectic), the alloy is less brittle and more flexible than a stock hypereutectic "smog" piston. These pistons can survive mild detonation with less damage than stock pistons.

The "2618" performance piston alloy has less than 2% silicon. This alloy is capable of experiencing the most detonation and abuse while suffering the least amount of damage. Pistons made of this alloy are also typically made thicker and heavier because of their most common applications in commercial diesel engines. Both because of the higher than normal temperatures that these pistons experience in their usual application, and the low-silicon content causing the extra heat-expansion, these pistons have their cylinders bored to a very loose cold-fit. This leads to a condition known as "piston slap" which is when the piston rocks in the cylinder and it causes an audible tapping noise that continues until the engine has warmed to operational temperatures. These engines should not be revved when cold, or excessive scuffing can occur. 2618 is used for extreme-duty racing applications such as NASCAR, ALMS, Formula 1.

Thanks for the input Batmans, I can speak to them and see what their take is on this. I am in no way know enough to have a real conversation about this, but I have used their pistons in other motors in the realms of 2bar so take that for whatever you will. Once again I will give them a call and see if the other alloy would be obtained for forced induction pistons should it be a better product for these applications.

just another thought, the pistons I had in mind for myself will be for 500 area and I personally hate piston slap and think for myself the standar alloy they use would be fine. Should I wanna build a big boy motor like fxmd,lovefab, sos, etc.. then maybe that would be a better option. I think I will wait for other interested parties to comment on what they are looking for and expecting if they wanted to get in on this.

**EDIT**

so I spoke with one of the gentleman from supertech and 2618 can be requested, currently they are filling big orders so to do a change over may take a little extra time. None the less should interest be great enough that can be offered

Last edited:
I learned about the different piston options when my factory pistons in the GTO finally cracked and melted from the supercharger. It was expected.

6200d1260898772-somethings-wrong-my-ls2-img00248.jpg

I spoke with a lot of the piston makers that offer both 2618 & 4032 and they all said that the 2618 will give a larger room to forgive detonation (either from bad tune to failed injectors, etc.). What was conveyed to me is that while the 4032 is stronger than the factory hypereutectic pistons, they can still crack and shatter like my pistons. I also had to replace the head since the piston pieces bounced around in there.

2618 will bend and dent, which in a sense decreases the compression ratio in the problematic combustion chamber. So think of it is self-healing counter measures for mild detonation.

Just food for thought.

You would be best to keep the bore size to the maximum factory recommended 90.5mm size if you are using stock sleeves. If you are able to keep at least three interested buyers together, we could facilitate a group buy on the ScienceofSpeed piston. We have strutted piston design that saves a considerable amount of weight and the oil consumption is superior to any forged piston we have used previously. We have used these pistons for the past 4 years in over 30 engines.

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/engine_performance_products/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/pistons/

If we can help, please let us know.

regards,
-- Chris

Back