• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

From Jaguar F-Type R to NSX?

Hello All

Long time lurker with first post.

I've been driving a model year 17 Jaguar F-Type R coupe for the last year and a half, and have been eying the NSX for awhile now. I use my F-Type as a daily driver here in Southern California and really love the car.
Question: Are there any current NSX (2nd Gen) drivers here who also have owned or driven the F-Type R? I'm curious to hear your impressions on comparing the two cars when it comes to ride, performance, FUN FACTOR, etc. Also, any suggestions on how to actually get a decent test drive here in the Los Angeles area without putting 5K down for the privilege?
Thanks in advance for any info :)
Cheers!
CRS

I just picked my 2018 NSX and years ago had a 2014 RWD F Type R. Its hard to remember that far back but clearly the Acura is much faster from a dig and more stable at speed. The magnetorheological dampers really work well with the factory springs for good compression and rebound. The F Type was a bit wild especially over speeds past 100 and had rather interesting over steer. Ive only had the NSX for a short time but its definitely a faster more comfortable and better car overall. Confidence is much higher in the NSX over sharp turns and high speed bends.

The Jag definitely has the more aggressive exhaust note though with its dagger chucking back fires. The NSX needs some work here but I have some ideas plotted out. From a looks perspective I chose the NSX yet again. Ill guess that even the AWD F Type cant compete from a dig or a roll.

My local dealer let me drive the NSX with 2 miles on it and I was pretty much sold once I came back did one more test drive.

Last edited:
I just picked my 2018 NSX and years ago had a 2014 RWD F Type R. Its hard to remember that far back but clearly the Acura is much faster from a dig and more stable at speed. The magnetorheological dampers really work well with the factory springs for good compression and rebound. The F Type was a bit wild especially over speeds past 100 and had rather interesting over steer. Ive only had the NSX for a short time but its definitely a faster more comfortable and better car overall. Confidence is much higher in the NSX over sharp turns and high speed bends.

The Jag definitely has the more aggressive exhaust note though with its dagger chucking back fires. The NSX needs some work here but I have some ideas plotted out. From a looks perspective I chose the NSX yet again. Ill guess that even the AWD F Type cant compete from a dig or a roll.

My local dealer let me drive the NSX with 2 miles on it and I was pretty much sold once I came back did one more test drive.

Hey Vic,

Quite a surprise that you ended up with an NSX! It's awesome to have such a knowledgeable guy like you join these boards, but don't forget to join the FB owners group as well. In any case, it would be great to have your input on how the NSX compares to other cars in your stable, primarily the R8, GTS (AMG and 911), since many would cross-shop those cars as well. (And the M5 in terms of straight-line speed.) :).

CRS,

Hope to see you in an NSX soon. I think the main thing you will miss with the Jag F Type-R will be that wicked exhaust, but downpipes/exhaust will help the NSX quite a bit.

Hey Vic,

Quite a surprise that you ended up with an NSX! It's awesome to have such a knowledgeable guy like you join these boards, but don't forget to join the FB owners group as well. In any case, it would be great to have your input on how the NSX compares to other cars in your stable, primarily the R8, GTS (AMG and 911), since many would cross-shop those cars as well. (And the M5 in terms of straight-line speed.) :).

CRS,

Hope to see you in an NSX soon. I think the main thing you will miss with the Jag F Type-R will be that wicked exhaust, but downpipes/exhaust will help the NSX quite a bit.

thanks for the warm welcome--- the car intrigued me and I enjoyed the two drives so I said "lets goooo"

Early returns are not there yet since I have not hit common roads and freeways/toll roads so its hard to compare but:

The R8 is tuned to V10 Plus levels and is faster and quicker but thats expected.
The F90 M5 is shockingly fast from a dig so its close there and its probably faster from a roll (traps are anywhere from 127-129 already at the strip)
991.2 GTS is tuned which makes the comparo very very close... It weighs less and has a better hp/weight ratio from my dynos but again I dont have enough seat time with the Acura
AMG GTS will lose every time from a dig but its tuned and will run a strong roll race.

Handling/Chassis Response/Steering, I need more time but I would not have got this car if it was not rewarding with my drives. And its so easy on the eyes :)

I think the main thing you will miss with the Jag F Type-R will be that wicked exhaust, but downpipes/exhaust will help the NSX quite a bit.

If the F-Type R exhaust is similar to the F-Type SVR, I will miss the exhaust note too.

https://youtu.be/nPkpntQOn5U

Thank you for your reply. I like the idea of higher confidence in the NSX over sharp turns and high speed bends. I love the feeling of putting the power down nice and clean. I do love the visceral engagement of the F-Type and the "aggressive exhaust note with its dagger chucking back fires" The AWD on the F-Type really helps in the corners, but the NSX would most likely embarrass the F-Type.
Cheers!
CRS

Hey Vic,

CRS,

Thanks CAL. So far i've only had to give up some extra things like...food and shelter, to get into the F-Type. I'm looking into selling one of my internal organs to get into the NSX.
CRS

I keep replying with a quote and they get deleted?? Any reason why??

Anyways thanks for the welcome @Cal_92

Ill give some more feedback from a drivers and handling perspective when I get more seat time. But so far its a brilliant ride.

I do feel the R8 is faster from a dig and roll but its tuned past the V10 Plus. I also think the F90 M5 is faster from a roll but it is a big fat pig. The Porsche GTS is tuned and really kills it with the hp/weight ratio so that race would be close. The AMG GTS would lose in a dig race but its tuned also and will fare rather strongly in a roll race.

But again these are more about straightline feel and I need to get more miles in the turns with Acura first. The Porsche GTS amazes me still to this day with what it can do even with 450 oem hp.

Last edited:
hey vic55 what is the significance of your avatar?

@docjohn

About 16 years ago I met an artist that drew that picture and I liked it for personal reasons. I had the portrait transferred to a t shirt and then when avatars were prevalent on the boards (Ive actually been on forums since 2001 via Benz, 6Speed, Audi, Rennlist, Lambo, Fchat, etc) and attached it as my avatar.

Is there anything significant, nah. Just for me I guess.

is it titled "box lunch at the Y"...:eek:

I affectionately call it "dine at the Y"

LOL

Hey on a side note, when I quote here and hit the reply with quite key I get a "moderator has to review your post" disclaimer or something to that nature. Ive never seen that before in any of the forums before. Do you know why?
[MENTION=4282]docjohn[/MENTION]

might be because you are new.

Weird, but true... i tried to reply the below quoting you and again it went to moderator review

Dang rookie (I am)

Welcome to the board and congratulations

Enjoy your car in the best of health

You have a strong fleet

[MENTION=32395]Bricks and Bio[/MENTION]

Thank you sir, Ill post a separate thread once I get back into town. Sorry to the OP for going off topic here.

VIC55!! I'm glad to see you still use the same handle. I don't know if you remember me from mbworld days. You still in SoCal? I'm actually considering picking a 2018 NSX today and been scouring the forum all day. Glad to hear you like the car though, that's actually cred enough for me. I still remember your AMG55.

Back