• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Front brake Pads, any difference between 00 and 02+?

I need to order some Porterfield R4's. According to their 2002 catalog, P/N AP503 is only listed up to 00 NSX. Can someone verify if the 02+ NSX shares the same P/N?

I agree with Andrie,you might as well use 8 oz porterhouse steaks :p They will last as long as the porterfields!

docjohn said:
I agree with Andrie,you might as well use 8 oz porterhouse steaks :p They will last as long as the porterfields!

Really?? Is it that bad? Never knew that. Well, a friend just got me some so I will try it out. Next round will be the Carbotech.. Thanks to everyone that replied.

Colorful comments aside let me explain my porterfield experience.On my stock 96 brakes I used the r4s and they lasted one track day.On the street they were ok compared to stock,but dustier.When I went to bbk I again tried r4s and again one track day only and they were toast.The r4 you seek is a more agressive pad which I have never tried.Plus my experience was 4 years ago so who knows if the formulation is the same,but to be honest I have had much better wear and fade resistance with track/street pads from other brands that I never went back to porterfield.I like Pagid,Ferrodo,hawk,and cobalt.

Just like with tires, most brands of brake pads come in a variety of formulations (models). Depending on your needs, any particular brake pad may be great or terrible.

For example, like docjohn, I have had a bad experience using Porterfield R4S pads at the track (the backing plates softened enough to fold around the caliper piston :eek: ). But those pads are okay for everyday street driving. As he notes, Porterfield also makes track-only pads, the R4; those who use them generally like them a lot.

The same thing can be said for pads from Cobalt Friction, Hawk, Carbotech, etc; all these brands make some pads that are designed for everything from street driving to track use only. Track pads tend to have more grip and more resistance to fade at high temperatures; the downside is that they tend to squeal and dust, and need to warm up to be fully effective.

Right now I'm really enjoying the Cobalt Friction GT Sport brake pads; they're great for my needs. I use them on the street and on the track; they just barely squeak on the street (almost none) but they grip nicely on the track and last as long as most other pads. But those who switch pads for track use are more likely to love the Cobalt Friction Spec VR pads, which generally get rave reviews from the diehard track folks.

Back