• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Front loader washing machines....need advice

I'm with Steve - After wasting money on all kinds of "high-tech" appliances that broke after 3-4 years of service ($600 vacuums, $2k washer/dryers, $2k refrigerators, etc) we now buy the cheap stuff. Already it's outlasted the fancy stuff and we are way ahead of any potential energy savings.

So what if the washer/dryer don't look that cool or are a little louder - nobody ever really sees them. Wife would prefer the nicer ones, but she now agrees I was right :biggrin:

Maybe it's just me, but I seem to have the worst luck on expensive things.

My $0.02.

Dave

I'm with Steve - After wasting money on all kinds of "high-tech" appliances that broke after 3-4 years of service ($600 vacuums, $2k washer/dryers, $2k refrigerators, etc) we now buy the cheap stuff. Already it's outlasted the fancy stuff and we are way ahead of any potential energy savings.

So what if the washer/dryer don't look that cool or are a little louder - nobody ever really sees them. Wife would prefer the nicer ones, but she now agrees I was right :biggrin:

Maybe it's just me, but I seem to have the worst luck on expensive things.

My $0.02.

Dave

One thing I disagree with - vacuum. We opted for a $2k Rainbow. It does an amazing job, no dust, uses water, comes COMPLETELY clean, and will last us damn near forever. My parents bought one in 1982 and to this day, it still operates like brand new.

Any other vacuum I've purchased in the past, turns to shit after awhile.

One thing I disagree with - vacuum. We opted for a $2k Rainbow. It does an amazing job, no dust, uses water, comes COMPLETELY clean, and will last us damn near forever. My parents bought one in 1982 and to this day, it still operates like brand new.

Any other vacuum I've purchased in the past, turns to shit after awhile.

Yes the Rainbow vacuums are excellent. I like the central vac but Renee prefers using the Dyson. If I had to pick a vac it would be the Rainbow. They use to be sold door to door but I have not seen a salesman in years.

We don't need a zillion features, we just want clean clothes from a washer that will last. Does anybody make anything like that any more?

I have a Samsung front-loader that'll be delivered in about 15 minutes. Got it for about $700 at a Labor Day Weekend sale. Feature light, but who cares? Just wash the damn clothes. Samsung's at or near the tops of Consumer Reports, so I hope it's good.

i heard from repair electronic workers that samsung are junk. get a maytag, before samsung owners get mad i own a front washer and dryer plus side by side frig. just dont forget to buy the extended warranty. funny thing is the top of the line maytag from about 5 years ago out performs my sammy pair from less than a year ago. the wrinkle release from the sammy doesnt work like how they claim.

I have a Samsung front-loader that'll be delivered in about 15 minutes. Got it for about $700 at a Labor Day Weekend sale. Feature light, but who cares? Just wash the damn clothes. Samsung's at or near the tops of Consumer Reports, so I hope it's good.

It seemed to be a no win no matter what we looked at. Everything had complaints about breakage and everyone had complaints about every company's warranty when they attempted to have it repaired. We ended up with an LG being delivered on Friday (it was a toss up between that and Samsung). It was around $600 after delivery and tax thanks to the labor day sale.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/LG+-+4....hite/9283456.p?id=1218074326852&skuId=9283456
9283456_ra.jpg

Last edited:
One observation about most if not all these front loaders,the washers have a rubber seal in front and after awhile if you peel back the layers of rubber there is pretty good mold growth:frown: One salesman offered some additive called effresh or something like it...btw our duets are trouble free running daily for 3.5 years..

One observation about most if not all these front loaders,the washers have a rubber seal in front and after awhile if you peel back the layers of rubber there is pretty good mold growth:frown: One salesman offered some additive called effresh or something like it...btw our duets are trouble free running daily for 3.5 years..

Yep and the seal also traps a lot of crap. If you don't clean it every so often water will leak out of the front of the machine. I have already had the door and seal replaced on my front loader and it's less than a year old. I did go for (well Renee did) one with the bells and whistles this time. So far besides the door and seal they are working well. I don't think there is a good way to win the washer and dryer game. It's a crap shoot no matter what way you look at it. The tenants in our old house brought with them this crazy dryer. It's like 7 foot tall and has drying racks and all sorts of features. I hope like hell it doesn't break and they leave it there because I bet it weighs 500 pounds and I don't want to be the person to get rid of it. It took 4 guys to carry it in the house!

Keep the doors and detergent tray open on the washer to avoid mold! :wink:

I also read not to use the regular laundry detergent. You need to use special efficient detergent. The regular stuff I guess gums up stuff and you need a lot less with these water efficient machines. Course that could just be marketing crap and all you really need to do is use less regular detergent (it's cheaper than the efficient stuff).

If you have an on site septic system then powder is better because it crystalizes in the catch tank...liquid gets pumped into the mound and can over time gum up the works....

I also read not to use the regular laundry detergent. You need to use special efficient detergent. The regular stuff I guess gums up stuff and you need a lot less with these water efficient machines. Course that could just be marketing crap and all you really need to do is use less regular detergent (it's cheaper than the efficient stuff).

We've had front load washer/dryer for the past 12 years. Had the first Maytag Neptune which is still working but this was the one plagued with the mold issues. Unfortunately, the same design has been used on other and I think that is why they still have issues. We temporarily retired this setup and replaced it with the Samsung top of thel model which has been great for the past year, no issues with mold or water retention in the front seal. We also have a Duet setup at our cottage which has worked perfectly for the past 3 years and it does ALOT of big loads although infrequently compared to home. No mold issues or water retention. We have always used regular detergent without problems with septic for the past 12 years and no problems with the septic system. Definitely use less detergent.

We just got the Electrolux front loaders...they were pricey but they are great so far. We were amazed at how quiet they operate and the steam/sanitize option is pretty cool as well. No regrets on purchase so far... they were around 3500 for the pair before rebates.

Back