• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Frontal collision safety

OK, I posted a thread a while back about the safety of the NSX when I was shopping for one. Generally, people said it was a pretty safe car from experience. I wound up buying a 93.

However, every time I drive it I get a little uneasy about the lack of an engine in the front. So much that I avoid driving at night (deer and drunks). Maybe that is a good thing, but this question remains unanswered for me: Does the lack of the engine up front compromise the safety of the NSX compared to a car with an engine there?

I know that things have come along way since the original Volkswagon Bug and that the front is reinforced, but is it reinforced enough to be comparable to a front-engined car?

I would like some opinions that are backed up by fact, not just assumptions.

TIA!

Rob

------------------

[This message has been edited by nsx808 (edited 17 October 2001).]

is it reinforced enough to be comparable to a front-engined car?

It has BETTER crash protection than most front-engined cars.

This is not just based on speculation or pride; it's based also on actual crashes that many of us have seen and heard about.

The car was developed to sustain moderate front end collisions. But, if you remove the spare tire, which was incorporated to help the impact your chances of having an injury increase. If you look closely, you'll realize that your feet are pretty far foward and I'd suspect at least a broken foot/ankle in a crash if you don't have the spare tire.

On the otherhand, accident avoidance is the ultimate protection. I think that you are being a little to paranoid. Drive the car and enjoy it.

-Cheers

I saw a blue NSX-T (not sure what year model) hitting a guard rail on the freeway about two weeks ago. He was pushed off the road by another car whose driver was on the phone and not paying attention, he over corrected, spun and hit the rail at perhaps 30 to 40 mph - I'm just guessing on the speed. Damage? Front bumper was cracked, bumper skirt destroyed, both front fenders slightly buckled, and the hood was also compromised but the damage to it was not clear. The rest of the car looked like it had no damage. I followed the tow truck and talked to the owner of the car right after the accident. I think the NSX is one strong car!

I've always assumed that because there is no front engine, you are actually less at risk of injuries during front end crashes...primarily because there is no engine between you and the crash to catch fire. Plus, I would think this would improve the car's ability to crumple.

Of course, what do I know? I'm just an artist.

------------------
--akira3D
'00 Acura NSX-T (red/black), '97 Honda Civic HX (black), '01 Lexus IS300 (black/black)
"Reality is better than the dream..."

akira3d.com/nsx

[This message has been edited by akira3d (edited 17 October 2001).]

This is a very open ended question. What are you comparing it to? Many cars are safer. Many are not. You can not generalize when you discuss auto safety. Sure, you would be safer driving a Peterbilt, but would rev at 8,000?

I actually crashed my '91 into a tree, head on, doing about 40 mph. The driver side door opened after the accident (it was my fault, I was being silly on a slick road)! This is a safe car. I broke a rib due to the seatbelt tenisoner, but I was otherwise unaffected.

Compared to say, a new Civic. Or even something like an Audi TT.

Originally posted by Juice:
This is a very open ended question. What are you comparing it to? Many cars are safer. Many are not. You can not generalize when you discuss auto safety. Sure, you would be safer driving a Peterbilt, but would rev at 8,000?

Originally posted by Dr.Lane:
The car was developed to sustain moderate front end collisions. But, if you remove the spare tire, which was incorporated to help the impact your chances of having an injury increase. If you look closely, you'll realize that your feet are pretty far foward and I'd suspect at least a broken foot/ankle in a crash if you don't have the spare tire.

I contemplated taking the spare out to reduce weight, but decided against it since I figured it helped out weight distribution. Now I have another reason to keep it.
biggrin.gif

Ok, here's a good comparison of safety:

2001 Honda Civic (my friend owns one) and our 1996 Infiniti Q45.

I feel safer in both cars than I do in my NSX. How do they compare?

1. Go to http://photos.yahoo.com/gheba_nsx

2. Click on 25.3.2001 -(

3. Check out the photos of the results of a frontal collision of the NSX at over 100 mph. The driver walked away without so much as a scratch. You can see how both ends of the NSX are designed to crumple and absorb the impact while protecting the passenger compartment.

If I were going to be in a crash, I would rather be in my NSX than in either of the cars you mention. And I don't think there's anything wrong with either of those cars; in fact, each is probably among the best in its class.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 21 October 2001).]

You can see the Civic at
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ncap/cars/1690.html

And the Infinity at
http://www.highwaysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/97008.htm

Note that the Infinity shown is a '97, so its stats may be better than a '96.

Unfortunately I cannot find any NSX information on the internet regarding crash safety. I do know most injuries occur when a person's body decelerates too quickly. In this case the NSX may be better than a front engine car because the engeneers don't have to worry about the engine being shoved back.

3. Check out the photos of the results of a frontal collision of the NSX at over 100 mph. The driver walked away without so much as a scratch. You can see how both ends of the NSX are designed to crumple and absorb the impact while protecting the passenger compartment.

Wow, it held up well. Do you know the details of that crash?

[This message has been edited by nsx808 (edited 22 October 2001).]

As reported at the time on the NSX e-mail list:

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 22:20:28 -0800
Subject: The end

Dear Friends,

I have a really sad news: about 4 hours ago (it is now 8:00am
here) I totally destroyed my '91...
I am speechless and I need to write this to part my thoughts
with someone that probably can understand what I feel.
First of all, I have no physical damage, really nothing and this
is amazing if you could give a look at the wreck of my car.
Even not an headache. The cockpit is perfect inside. The car is
really destroyed outside. The NSX is really a safe car for the
driver in case of a bad accident.

What happened? I was driving about 100mph on a three lane highway
and when moving from the center to the left lane to better
approach a light left-turn I lost control and I finished with
the nose against left the guard rail and then bounced right
after a 360 (trapassing the other two lanes) against the other
guard rail with the front where the aurbag opened at a speed of
about 40mph.
I have a friend that was driving at about 300 ft behind me and
told me that he did not understand why I went against the guard
rail... I really have no explanation now... like if I was giving
a slight right turn that "transformed" into a harder one.
Bit I am still confused, these four seconds are really messed up
in my mind and I perfectely remind to have waited for the airbag
to open in one of the thousand things that flew in my head during
and between the two impacts.

The police performed all checks and everything (alcool 0,0% and
drugs test) was fine. I was also brought to the ospital for a 5 min
check were everything was perfect and the doctor was amazed of this.
Now I will have to contact the insurance and this will be the
worst part I guess... :-(

Will I own another NSX in future? I hope... all depends on the
insurance company...

I'll keep you informed.

I'll also try to sleep now but I fear it will be impossible

ciao
Giuseppe

PS: Swiss NSXers I'll speak with you tomorrow or in the next days
because I need a little psycological support

=====
Giuseppe
'91 NSX Red/Black/Black

Ok, I decided to register to Prime after lurking it since the very beginning! ...seems incredible it took me so much...
smile.gif

Everything stated here above is true, the car behavior during the frontal crash was unbelievable!
The doctor that went out of the ambulance did not want to believe that I was really inside that wreck that only resembled to a car (there was fluids and parts of the car in about 100m of autobahn).

...and I am here alive now to testify this!

Giuseppe "you only live twice" Martino

------------------
'91 NSX Red/Black *totaled* #9 Oversea NSXCA member
'91 NSX Silver/Black/Black http://photos.yahoo.com/gheba_nsx

Back