• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Fuel Consumption worse with new o2 sensor

When my CEL lights went on, we checked for codes and it showed that the O2 sensors were bad. So I got this 'NTK' Sensors and installed them. CEL went off and everything is great.

However, now my fuel consumption is pretty bad (around 10 - 15 Km difference per around 18 litres of fuel). And I noticed that I can smell a lot more fuel during start ups and warming up of the engine.

Any advice? Thanks

Btw, before any flames form the forums Nazis, I did tried searching for this subject matter but could not find any.

How did you reset the CEL? If you pulled the clock fuse(7.5A in front hood fuse box), you have purged your fuel trim data, and this may be the cause. If you did pull the clock fuse, I would give it a few 100km and recheck it before being too concerned.

HTH,
LarryB

How did you reset the CEL? If you pulled the clock fuse(7.5A in front hood fuse box), you have purged your fuel trim data, and this may be the cause. If you did pull the clock fuse, I would give it a few 100km and recheck it before being too concerned.

Thanks for your reply. Yes I did pull the clock fuse. So if I get you right, I will just need to drive it normally and see if the fuel consumption returns to normal? How many 100Kms do this usually happen? So that I can get a rough idea on when my fuel consumption should return to normal.

Btw, is it also normal for too much fuel odour coming out from the exhaust during start ups and idle?

Thanks

Smelling fuel is not normal. Does you car have the stock catalytic converters? How many miles?

Do you drive your car long enough for it to be full warmed up?

Btw, is it also normal for too much fuel odour coming out from the exhaust during start ups and idle?

Thanks

If the fuel trim data was purged then the engine is probably running rich. That would account for the reduction in mileage and also could have a fuel odor. Like Larry said, give it a chance to re-learn before becoming worried.

Thanks for all the views. I will give it a few more miles.

Btw, L8apex32, yes my car is still on the stock catalytic converters and it has done 50K Km. (around 31068 miles).

Back