• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Fuel Stabilizer

For those of you who store the NSX during the Winter. What type of fuel stabilizer is safe to use and doesn't damage the O2 Sensors and the catalytic converters? Also, will the fuel stabilizer adversely effect the smog test? Thx.

Last edited:
It has been years since I have used any in several different cars. I just fill them up with the highest octane ethanol free Shell gas available. They are stored in a heated garage with no temperature fluctuations. I've had no issues after 5 or 6 months of storage.

If your Evap system works properly, there is probably less need for stabilizer if you do are doing seasonal storage with the tank full. Fuel oxidation and moisture accumulation is not going to be an issue with a full tank that is sealed.

That said, I like a little insurance so I have been using fuel stabilizer during winter storage for the last 10 years. I have no brand affinity because I am a little suspicious that they all come from the same source (Recochem). I have variously used Motomaster, STP and Sta Bil - whatever happens to be on sale at the time. We don't have emission testing; but, I have never triggered an OBDII code for my O2 sensors. If you check the web sites for most of these products they claim they are safe for O2 sensors and catalytic converters.

FWIW I too store the car in a garage attached to the house but I do put some Stabil in the tank. Been doing this for years -- never any issues.

Best,
Jeff

Stabil was my go-to when I was in NY. I also read that you can use Seafoam to perform the same function.

thank you all for the information.

I am in Southern California where the weather is quite mild. My situation is that the car is rarely driven. I just want to ensure the gasoline doesn't go bad while it is sitting in the garage.

I'll give Stabil a try.

Back