• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Future NXSPO

Originally posted by Lionel W:
Could somebody let me know where future NSXPO's will be held. 2003, 2004, 2005 ?

NSXPO 2003 in and around Infineon Raceway (formerly named Sears Point) north of San Francisco.

NSXPO 2004 in and around Watkins Glen, New York.

Both events are targeted for mid-October, with final dates pending finalization of contracts with the various venues involved.

The site of NSXPO 2005 is scheduled to be selected towards the end of 2003.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 12 November 2002).]

When will the site/hotel be selected for NSXPO 2003 in NoCal? Thanks, I don't want to miss it again.

------------------
  • 1997 NSX-T
  • 1983 El Camino
  • 1972 VW Bug

the 2003 is even farther... maybe I should wait till the 2004 NY one..by that time I can imagine my this NSX with almost 100k and I'm looking to pickup a new NSX in 2 years..or else I might be ended up running as the last place...

Another NSX?my friends think that I'm crazy.. they think with this $ I can buy faster cars... but NSX got this magic on me .. like sorta NSX decease?

------------------
the art of chasing down my friend's white 3000gt at com. ave

NSXCA # 1690 "Sabrina"

Originally posted by coolnsx:
When will the site/hotel be selected for NSXPO 2003 in NoCal?

The site (Sonoma, California, at the north end of San Francisco Bay) has already been selected. The target hotel has been identified but won't be announced until the dates are finalized and the contracts are signed, just in case there is any change. Don't worry, it should all be announced some time this winter and you'll have plenty of time to make your arrangements.

Originally posted by BostonNSX:
the 2003 is even farther... maybe I should wait till the 2004 NY one..

Or, maybe you should go there by plane.

Here are some of the things I enjoy doing at NSXPO:

1. Meeting and getting to know other NSXers
2. Seeing and checking out all the NSXs and what people have done to them
3. Going for drives in the country as a group
4. Hearing the information at the seminars
5. Taking part in the fun activities that are scheduled
6. Enjoying meals and entertainment with all my friends, new and old
7. Watching the NSXs zooming around the racetrack
8. Driving my NSX around the racetrack

I've been to NSXPOs with, and without, my car. I've found that when I fly to an NSXPO without my car, I can enjoy all of these activities except the last one. Which means that I still have a heck of a great time there. And there are always plenty of empty passenger seats available for the drives and such, which lets me spend even more time alongside another NSXer friend.

Does it have a friendly environment to first timers? Is it easy to make friends there (this sounds lame/naive for some reason) regardless of your age categories (20s, 30s, 40s, and so on)?

Originally posted by Tiger740:
Does it have a friendly environment to first timers? Is it easy to make friends there (this sounds lame/naive for some reason) regardless of your age categories (20s, 30s, 40s, and so on)?

I think so. What do you say, first timers? NetViper? Soulstice? cbr600? (Hey cbr600, thanks again for the ride to the airport!) Others?

I've only been to one NSXPO (2001) and I have to say that I had a great time, but I do think one area that could have been better was how first timers were handled.

As with many organizations and meetings there are cliques and groups of people who hang together. It's also the case where things were very informal and laid back...and that's fine, however...

I did notice at the last NSXPO there were a number of people who, IMHO, felt a bit lost. These were newcomers and some were couples and some were people who came by themselves. I came alone, and I remember going out of my way to strike up conversations to make a few of these people feel more comfortable.

I think by the end of the event these people had eventually made friends and connections and had a good time, but I did think at the time, it would have been nice if someone would have acted as a welcoming ambassador for these newcomers. It would have helped to set expectations.

Perhaps this latest NSXPO was different, I'm not sure.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
1976 Honda Accord 5 spd, 3 door Blue/Blue
1977 Honda Accord - Custom - Under Construction
1986 Chevy Suburban
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

Jim,

This is a very good observation. Obviously if this occurs it is not intentional, but I can see how it can happen. It is a good point to consider going forward for all NSXPO planning committee's. Maybe there should actually be an intro at the first meeting/dinner to annouce new members/first time attendees.

The down side I guess is some folks are not that comfortable being annouced in a crowd. We will have to think about that going forward.

As always I made some great new friends and spent time with old ones at NSXPO2002. But I am sure there were some new folks I did not meet.

Thanks for mentioning this.

Tiger740,

It is a very friendly environment. We have a blast, repeat attendees as well as newcomers. I believe we even had some non-NSX owners attend at least to observe the track days. But, I know you will be an official attendee next year
smile.gif

LarryB

[This message has been edited by Larry Bastanza (edited 13 November 2002).]

Originally posted by Larry Bastanza:
But, I know you will be an official attendee next year
smile.gif

LarryB

Thanks, Larry.. You must have a power to foresee the future
wink.gif
!!

NSXPO 2001 was my first event with the club and I had similar concerns at first as to whether I should drive to Wisconsin from New York to be with people I had never met and, except for one person, with people I had never even spoken with or emailed.

I had such a great time that I have become more active in attending events in the Northeast and even my wife has joined me for some of them, including the 1712 mile drive to Texas last week. I have also formed lasting friendships with many of the persons I met for the first time in Wisconsin.

It may seem intimidating to the first-timer but just remember that we all have one thing in common: an interest, and for some an obsession, with the NSX. That automatically makes you one of the family and you will be surprised how easy it will be to fit in and become friends with other NSXers.

If you don't want to take the plunge and make your debut at an NSXPO, start locally by getting a drive together or just plan on meeting somewhere for lunch or dinner and get to know other owners in your area. Then start making plans to take that group in a caravan to California in 2003 and New York in 2004. You won't be disappointed.

Bob

One thing that I've observed is that there are certain group dynamics that form during the caravans that drive together to the event. When a group drives a long distance together, they do a certain amount of bonding, so that close friendships form even before they arrive at the event. Those with club radios have even more opportunity to get to know each other en route. People from these caravans often end up spending much of the event together, sitting together at meals, etc - hence the "cliques" that Jim mentioned, although I would not use that word because it implies hostility towards the rest of the attendees that simply doesn't exist.

Obviously, the more you make a point of meeting other people, the more friends you will make. I have found that most people at NSXPO are incredibly friendly when approached. All it takes is a bit of effort - introducing yourself to others, sitting down with strangers at group meals (who will no longer be strangers by the end of the meal), etc.

Another idea to consider might be to add our NSXprime usernames to our name tags at the event. I think a lot of us are familiar with writings under various usernames here, but don't always realize that those are same individuals we are meeting face to face.

Assigning people to small groups for activities works well too. For example this year I think most participants got to know the people on their karting team pretty well.

I think Nashville should be considered for a future national NSX event.

Why?

1) Nashville is very centrally located in the US, allowing more people to come.
2) The new Nashville Superspeedway is located just outside town and is a state of the art, new facility (and it just hosted an IRL race this past year).
3) The Opryland Hotel would make for a wonderful site to house everyone.
4) Barnman calls this his home.
smile.gif

Seriously, the Viper Club of America just had their Viper Owner's Invitational 7 here in town this fall, and had over 700 cars and 1000 people attend. It was quite a sight to see all those Vipers in town.

There many things to do and see here (drives down the historic, picturesque Natchez Trace...attending the Grand Ole Opry...going to fabulous country eateries serving country ham and eggs, biscuits, gravy...etc.).

Just a thought.

The site for each NSXPO is determined by the club's board of directors using a bid process. The board seeks written proposals for conducting the event. The proposals are submitted by a group of members with the expectation that this group will become the planning committee for the event; specific roles and responsibilities for each of the members are outlined in the proposal. Other elements for the proposal include identifying the racetrack to be used and the feasibility of getting desirable schedule dates there; other activities to take place in addition to the track event; the hotel to be used as headquarters; the availability of venues for meals; the experience of the committee members at holding local and regional NSX Club events; and a few things that I'm forgetting at the moment. The club's board evaluates this along with the location of previous NSXPOs and the proximity to club members so that it moves around the country from year to year, giving most members the opportunity for some of the NSXPOs to be reasonably close to home sooner or later. The next bid process will be announced late in 2003 for the selection of the site for NSXPO 2005.

The last several NSXPO sites were selected because they offered not only a great racetracks and other facilities, but also a planning committee with lots of experience holding events on behalf of the NSX Club of America. My best advice to those hoping for an NSXPO event in a particular location is to join the club if you are not already a member, and start organizing local and regional NSXCA events in your area. These can be anything from a track event, to a meeting at a dealer with a tech session, to group drives, to restaurant meals together. Club funds are available to help publicize/subsidize these activities. Contact the representative for your region for advice regarding holding club events.

I had a great time for a first-timer. I met some really great guys right away. Lud is right about the carting activity.. it really helped make some connections. I was a little nervous about going someone and not knowing a soul, but it worked out well. I would say some group activities on the first day would help make first-timers feel more comfortable.

I enjoyed the track days so much, it don't think it would be the same without them. If you are an instructor, then you get to drive other peoples cars etc. and it would be ok. For a first-timer flying to california and not having their car for the track events, it would probably not nearly as fun, IMO.

[This message has been edited by NetViper (edited 13 November 2002).]

Originally posted by Jimbo:
<snip>

I think by the end of the event these people had eventually made friends and connections and had a good time, but I did think at the time, it would have been nice if someone would have acted as a welcoming ambassador for these newcomers. It would have helped to set expectations.

And Larry commented:

"This is a very good observation. Obviously if this occurs it is not intentional, but I can see how it can happen. It is a good point to consider going forward for all NSXPO planning committee's. Maybe there should actually be an intro at the first meeting/dinner to annouce new members/first time attendees.

The down side I guess is some folks are not that comfortable being annouced in a crowd. We will have to think about that going forward. "

These are very good observations, and we will try to incorporate them at NSXPO 2003.

Actually, the feedback from this successful NSXPO 2002 is giving us an opportunity to further fine tune the forthcoming event ....

Regarding hotels, a committee has done its due diligience with site visits and we literally just received the contract yesterday, so we are in the process of reviewing it ....

On behalf of the NSXPO 2003 planning committee .......

Hrant

[This message has been edited by Hrant (edited 13 November 2002).]

Larry, et al

It is of course, not intentional. Everyone was friendly and accomodating at the event. At NSXPO 2001, I got there early. I was the 3rd NSX in the hotel lot.

If I remember, there were a number of people, who seemed a bit lost and just seemed to be left to their own devices. Of course, it wasn't a huge problem, as people eventually found their way to the first scheduled event, but I think that an initial Welcome meeting or a Kick-off meeting (before any other event) would have really gone a long way to make the newcomers feel more at home and organized.

You wouldn't need to "announce" anyone, but just welcome people to the event, go over the schedule of events, make special announcements and changes, allow people to ask questions, etc

It also would have helped everyone, I think. I believe the first event was the trip to Realtime and it was a bit hectic with people trying to find rides and finding someone to follow, etc. I recall that there were people in the lobby wondering where to go and if there was going to be any kind of intro session. Instead people just wandered off to Realtime.

I say this not to criticize the 2001 event, but to offer constructive feedback for future events. I also didn't mean anything negative by the term "clique". It just means that there were small groups of friends and/or associates. And that's to be naturally expected at any event or club. It's just that for the newcomer, that first day can be a little daunting and I think we can help with an initial Welcome-Orientation meeting.

Regards,

-Jim

------------------
1986 Chevy Suburban

[This message has been edited by Jimbo (edited 13 November 2002).]

Jim,

I agree completely. I have given this some thought for 2004. Typically when we do these kind of events in a business situation there is a "kick off" meeting to get everyone kind of "pumped", and lay out the agenda.

I know with NSXCA we are all "pre-pumped" before we get there
smile.gif

After reading your post I am thinking that it is a good idea the first morning. A "general session" to welcome everyone and lay it all out, with a brief Q&A.

Thanks,
LarryB

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
What do you say, first timers? NetViper? Soulstice? cbr600?

This was my first NSX event ever, and I was also a bit concerned about going someplace where I didn't know anyone for a whole week. But let me tell you, it took very minimal effort to get people talking and to start making new friends. Getting them talking was no problem at all...getting them to stop is much harder!
smile.gif
Seriously though, I met many great people and am very glad I went.

You have to keep in mind, that by coming to this event, you automatically have something in common with everyone there....passion about your car. Also, there was a comment posted earlier about being left to your own devices at a previous NSXpo; I didn't feel that way at all with this years event. The organization and scheduling was very tight and the committee basically held your hand through the whole week.

I just can't shell out enough kudos to the SouthCentral crew for their job.

------------------
'96 Black/Tan NSX-T
NSX-R short gears, Exedy clutch, Dali swaybars, Carbotech brake pads, Bridgestone S-03s

Soulstice,

When I wrote that bit about being left to their own devices, it was my opinion that this was really only for the first opening day/evening. Once things got underway it wasn't an issue.

It sounds like this wasn't an issue with 2002.

Was there an opening Welcome or Kick-Off session at this year's event?

-Jim

------------------
1986 Chevy Suburban

[This message has been edited by Jimbo (edited 13 November 2002).]

Originally posted by Jimbo:
Soulstice,

Was there an opening Welcome or Kick-Off session at this year's event?

We had a reception the first night with some BBQ and a raffle during the registration. It did allow the people arriving in the evening to be greeted by the group as they first walked in the door.

Back