• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

FXMD - RPS Billet Twin Disc Carbon Clutch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Let's also add the SOS Sport Clutch and Flywheel at 20lbs combined, placing it between the RPS and Exedy in weight.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129119

uhhhh... that's light... is it is lighter than the RPS Twin Carbon because it's a single clutch instead of a Twin?? and the flywheel also looks light... Chris, can you shed some inside info about this??

i NEED a new clutch for my car, as mine is the factory one and have 207.000kms (about 130.000mls). But i have a stock 3.0 engine and soon will remove OEM Headers+Exhaust and install Topspeed headers + Advance Titanium Exhaust + ARC titanium test pipes... it will increase the hp, but i don't think i would benefit of the extra grip the Twin Carbon's have, but i would definitly benefit of their lightness :wink: so, the lightest the better :wink:

and also the cost of the SOS over the RPS is something to consider, because even being able to get the RPS for $1999, it still is $500 more than the SOS one...so...concluding, SOS is cheaper and lighter and i also liked what Chris answered to me in his thread comparing the RPS's with the SOS's.

Nuno

I asked elsewhere - didn't really get a clear answer. Will this clutch make this much of a difference in the rev up/down?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teEQtG4wiNE

Does anyone have video of this RPS unit installed so I can see the rev in relation to what I have OEM?
Yes both the RPS and Exedy will improve the rev up/down of the motor. I need to make a back to back video of the RPS vs. Exedy but the 10 extra pounds of the RPS dosn't really have a noticeable effect and delay over the lighter Exedy. You will not get that kind of rev response of the 350Z (which with a mildly light flywheel have insane rev up/down) out of the NSX without doing more work than just the clutch to decrease rotational weight.

Hi,

as you compare both Twin Carbons from Exedy and RPS, can you also give us their weights, so we can know what wheight savings can we expect between themselfs and to OEM NA1 91-96 and NA2 97-05 ??

I know that the Exedy is one of the most light kits available for NSX (more only perhaps the Tilton's), but i don't know where RPS's fit in this matter...

EDIT:

the RPS info is on the first post...sorry for misreading it...
after a search i can come up with:

RPS weight = 26.5lbs = 12Kg
Exedy weight = 16.1lbs = 7.3Kg (don't know if it's with or without flywheel)
OEM single = 43.9lbs = 19.9Kg
OEM Twin = 35.7lbs = 16.19Kg

man...the Exedy one is light.... as i have a OEM Twin one, the weight savings difference upgrading
to exedy would be hugely higher than with the RPS: 9.2lbs/4.17Kg (RPS) vs 19.6lbs/8.8Kg (Exedy)

and as it is unsprung weight saved, it would make a huge difference in overall performance.

for this to be accurate, i would only need to know if the Exedy's weight is with or without flywheel

Thanks,
Nuno
Nuno, a clutch is rotating weight and not unsprung weight. Reducing rotational weight is huge in terms of HP gain and response. An adverse effect of a lightweight flywheel like the Exedy is harder modulation when starting from a stop. The RPS has more mass (and stock far more than both) which greatly helps leaving from a stop. As I stated above, the Exedy dosn't rev much faster than the RPS and I will make a video of the two.

The Exedy's weight is WITH the flywheel.
Let's also add the SOS Sport Clutch and Flywheel at 20lbs combined, placing it between the RPS and Exedy in weight.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129119
Thanks for Hijacking my thread. Vendors love it when people post links to competing products/vendors in their own thread.

I was actually looking into getting this clutch for my car, as my unknown aftermarket brand still survived after all these years... I still can't figure out what i have. (light pedal effort, but relatively fast engagement.)

but then now I learnt first-hand from Billy this clutch is on the FXMD car... and Vega$nsx 500+whp turbo; why am I dropping this in my light modified, stock engine nsx??

Any other reason I should consider this over the SOS ones?
What should I do....??
It's really up to you. Ryneen is tracks his NSX every month with a stock clutch and I/H/E/Brakes/R-comps. While he would have more whp and response from a lighter clutch, stock is holding up to his uses. A stock clutch costs too much IMO so I probably would go with a good aftermarket unit.

You've read the pros/cons of both the RPS and Exedy twin carbon. Both are excellent choices (and I have the Exedy in my personal street car with a stock motor that I daily drive and track occasionally) but the RPS has some advantages: power capacity, lack of chatter, minimal noise, easy on thrust bearings, easy to modulate (from friction material and weight), while revving very similarly to the lighter exedy and being at a better price point.

I don't have personal experience with the SOS clutch but it appears to be a beefier, lighter stock replacement with OEM friction material. I can't comment on the pedal feel but single disc clutches (including the later OEM unit) tend to be harder on the thrust bearings inside the motor. While it might not increase wear/damage to a noticeable degree (since later OEMs had single discs), heavier duty singles tend to be harder on thrust bearings.

uhhhh... that's light... is it is lighter than the RPS Twin Carbon because it's a single clutch instead of a Twin?? and the flywheel also looks light... Chris, can you shed some inside info about this??

i NEED a new clutch for my car, as mine is the factory one and have 207.000kms (about 130.000mls). But i have a stock 3.0 engine and soon will remove OEM Headers+Exhaust and install Topspeed headers + Advance Titanium Exhaust + ARC titanium test pipes... it will increase the hp, but i don't think i would benefit of the extra grip the Twin Carbon's have, but i would definitly benefit of their lightness :wink: so, the lightest the better :wink:

and also the cost of the SOS over the RPS is something to consider, because even being able to get the RPS for $1999, it still is $500 more than the SOS one...so...concluding, SOS is cheaper and lighter and i also liked what Chris answered to me in his thread comparing the RPS's with the SOS's.

Nuno
You should ask Chris this on his own thread.

Yes a single disc has less components than a dual disc clutch, which is probably the leading factor why the SOS single is slightly lighter than the RPS twin carbon. Again keep in mind the difference in rev up/down between the Exedy and RPS twin (10lbs) is a fraction of the improvement the RPS has in modulation over the Exedy (due to additional weight and friction material design). If 10lbs is almost no difference in rev (and its hard even for me to tell), then you probably won't feel a 6lb difference.

Billy

I was in Vegas last week and am going back at the end of this weekend. I will try to video tape a RPS Twin Disc Carbon clutch revving vs. the Exedy Twin Disc Carbon that's in my street car.

We took apart our RPS Twin Disc Carbon clutch that won:

Redline Time Attack - Spring Mountain Motorsports Park
Super Lap Battle - Buttonwillow Raceway
Redline Time Attack - Auto Club Speedway.

After 3 races (and breaking third gear in 2 transmissions) at 700whp+, there is minimal wear and the engagement is as perfect as day 1.

Billy

I was in Vegas last week and am going back at the end of this weekend. I will try to video tape a RPS Twin Disc Carbon clutch revving vs. the Exedy Twin Disc Carbon that's in my street car.

Looking forwarding to hearing the difference. :)

The RPS twin disc clutch is pretty sweet. I drove VegasNSX's car a little bit ago and honestly, the first thing I said was, "Man, this clutch is smooth as butter and easy to drive." I have a comptech PG1 for a reference. I would take that RPS clutch in a heartbeat if I was buying one anytime soon. Very good clutch to replace the OEM with. You can't go wrong I say.

Any updates or video so I can see the difference on the rev-blip? I've been waiting patiently. :)

Any updates or video so I can see the difference on the rev-blip? I've been waiting patiently. :)
PM Vega$NSX. I'm still waiting for him to email me a video of him blipping his RPS Clutch.

I just installed my RPS clutch last week and I must say it does feel like a stock clutch. too bad they wont sale this clutch anymore.

Bryan

You need to break that soon Bryan. Very nice once I got it moving.......too many items in mind....

Yeah... Mark also told me the story behind this.... some business practices just make me mad.... go figure

Dali's rant on his website aside, I think the situation is pretty well clarified in the second posting here:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132695

There's three sides to every story and each vendor certainly has their own fan base, so I was just asking Billy if he could still sell these (and hopefully less than posted MSRP) as I'm certainly ready to purchase something (RPS carbon or carbonetics triple) :smile:

Dave

Billy

Can you clarify whether or not you have these available for sale?
If not, I'd like to close this thread because there's no point for people to insinuate some shady dealings going on. I don't know anything that's not public and I'm not taking sides but I don't like the direction of this thread.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back