• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Garage Floor Ideas for my new home?

Hi.

I'm in the process of building a new home, which will have a 3-car garage. Currently, in my home now (2-car), I have a RaceDeck floor seen here. However, I don't think I want this type of floor again.

I'm looking for alternate ideas. Here is what I desire in a floor:

1. Something that has a wow factor
2. Something that looks very classy
3. Something that will withstand elements and not stain or discolor easily
4. Something that can be easily cleaned
5. Something that doesn't break the bank (not the most expensive option)

I've debated between polished cement, stained/textured cement, etc. I have reservations on epoxy based on mixed feedback, and possibly even a porcelain tile maybe? I plan to do an earth tone colored wall (a light tan color/mocha) with recessed lighting. Interested to see what Prime has to suggest for flooring.

The new garage measurements are 20x32.

I used Drylok on my concrete floor, then went over it in RaceDeck. I have no issues with it, but you didnt mention that type of flooring.

I used Drylok on my concrete floor, then went over it in RaceDeck. I have no issues with it, but you didnt mention that type of flooring.

he has racedeck now and dos'nt like it enough to reuse it....What is your budget? ie how much per sq/ft are you willing to spend?

Will any of this stuff withstand a jack or jack stands?

Acid Stain earthy tones.

I'm leaning towards this idea so far.

he has racedeck now and dos'nt like it enough to reuse it....What is your budget? ie how much per sq/ft are you willing to spend?

I don't have a set budget, but I don't want to spend more than what I spent to lay down the RaceDeck flooring before, which was about $2.50 sq/ft.

Will any of this stuff withstand a jack or jack stands?

The Racedeck flooring I have no in my current home does just fine with both the jack and jack stands, I used them all the time without issue. Also, I've heard that porcelain tiles are strong enough to hold as well without cracking. Ultimately, any solution I choose must withstand jackstands, water, and be somewhat stain resistant so that I can easily be cleaned.

Why aren't you choosing RaceDeck again?

I just bought an older house and the garage is unfinished, so I'm looking at my flooring options also.

Why aren't you choosing RaceDeck again?

I just bought an older house and the garage is unfinished, so I'm looking at my flooring options also.

It seems to flashy for me, I want something that looks a bit more conservative, yet still exotic if that makes sense. Also, when you walk on the RaceDeck flooring, it's not very quiet.

very true, almost sounds like pergo in the house... drop a nickel and everyone knows

Right. Other than the sound, I think its a great floor choice! I've often wondered if there is something I could put between the cement floor and tile to mask the sound (like a roofing mat or whatever it is you put under hardwood floors before installation).

2.50$ sq/ft for tile will most likely mean you have to lay it yourself.....there are porcelin options but you might have to shop at a big box store for them.

2.50$ sq/ft for tile will most likely mean you have to lay it yourself.....there are porcelain options but you might have to shop at a big box store for them.

I'm fine with doing the work myself - I also have a contractor I deal with on small projects that I can just pay hourly if I source the materials.

What kind of cost is acid washing and polishing? Has anyone here done this before? How about longevity and stain resistance? I see all these great photos on the web, but that's just after the job is complete. What does it look like 5+ years later?

I would adventure over to the flooring section of garagejournal.com if you haven't already. Lots of input there with the ups/downs of epoxy, racedeck, sealed concrete, etc.

vegas tiled his garage,pm him.

I've never acid stained a garage floor but I'm sure it's damn easy. There's videos I'm sure since I remember seeing one for a patio awhile back.

There's also different techniques to get a desired effect.

Basic concept is
1. Sand floor to desired smoothness if you want, skip of you want.
2. Apply acid stain
3. Let soak in
4. Neutralize with water and baking soda or powder, forget which one.
5. Rinse clean
6. Apply some kind of sealant.

Acid staining I'm sure is one of the most durable surfaces because
1. It seeps into the concrete
2. If you chip it you can always restrain very inexpensively
3. Depending on HOW you apply the stain it's likely you won't have a solid color like painting. There may be waves, streaks and much more, but that's the cool thing about it I think...

But the durability is basically the same as a plain concrete slab since its a penetrating stain, not some brush on stuff that's more or less a top coat.

Something you COULD do that I've never heard of is to dump a bunch of colored dye when your contractor is pouring the slab. It's doable.

How about polished concrete? Looks good.

polished-concrete-garage.jpg

concrete-004.jpg

Thanks for the mention, Blackend.

My tiles are ceramic, and were .59/sf. I installed them myself; it was my first tile-setting experience. Even with thinset, grout and tools, it wasn't much more than a buck a square foot for the job.

I did the install in February of 2008. So I'm still a few months shy of five full years, but the tile is holding up fine. I mopped it once. But usually I just clean up a spill with a paper towel. You really can't stain tile and its easy to clean -- even dried on oil paint comes up with a razor blade. Welding slag is the only thing that leaves a mark on it.

This is a picture from June of this year:

june282012ad.jpg

Last edited:
WHOA!!!! Nice RSR Replica!

I need to do something with my garage. It looks too generic.

I had Premier Garage flooring put down in my 3-car garage before I moved in to my house, 4 1/2 years ago. I love it. It is slippery when wet, though.

PremierGarage™ floor coating systems are a revolutionary new hybrid polymer chemistry manufactured exclusively for PremierGarage™. PremierGarage™ systems are superior to Epoxy from the standpoint of installation time and return to service, UV resistance, abrasion resistance, chemical resistance, long-term durability, maintenance and shine.

http://www.premiergarage.com/gallery.asp <---Photos and color choices.

http://www.premiergarage.com/faqs.asp<---FAQs.

IMG_6067gym-1.jpg

IMG_4120110621BlueHondas.jpg

Last edited:
You sir, have a great memory. :smile:

It is by far the area of the house I get the most compliments. It's what I would recommend.

Here is my old post on it.
Wow, that is stunning! When I get around to redoing my garage (sigh..), I may reach out to you for the details. I have a similar sized garage, so the costs may be reasonable enough to pass the wife test ;)

Back