• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

garage heat opinions

The weather out on the East Coast really bites in the winter.I am thinking about putting heat in my garage.Any recomendations?Should I go with a baseboard heat or forced air heat??

For heat i've found that the Sterling unit below, which is rated for garage use, has preformed quite well and it is low profile enough to be ceiling mounted and not look ugly or get in the way.

I keep my garage at 60f during the winter and boost it a bit if I'm doing some wrenching; it has plenty of BTUs so setting the garage to a desired temperature is never an issue.

This is a Sterling Model "RF" which is Residential Garage Certified.
heater specs: www.sterlinghvac.com/litlibrary/LPRFM-4.pdf

heater2.jpg

heater1.jpg

Bringing this thread back up in the midst of another brutal Chicago winter setting in. I Insulated and drywalled the garage this summer, and am looking to get a nice gas heater as well.

What did you end up doing musclesmarinara2?

There appears to be a multitude of heating solutions. Some of the gas Infrared units look interesting, but I could not find one that suited my needs. I want a natural gas unit, preferrably ceiling mounted; same idea as DanO.

DanO, I looked through the PDF on the unit you got, and it appears you hang it for install...is your unit mounted flush to the ceiling? Also, how much was it, and have you been happy with it's performance? I need to heat about 700 square feet and was thinking of getting 30,000 BTu. I have an 8 foot ceiling so the unit won't be able to hang much at all. The only unit I found that was acceptable was from Grainger, but it required high ceilings.(9+ foot). Thanks.

true said:
...is your unit mounted flush to the ceiling? Also, how much was it, and have you been happy with it's performance? I need to heat about 700 square feet and was thinking of getting 30,000 BTu. I have an 8 foot ceiling so the unit won't be able to hang much at all. The only unit I found that was acceptable was from Grainger, but it required high ceilings.(9+ foot). Thanks.

The unit is mounted directly to the regular drywall ceiling. It was $1,300 professionally installed which included physical installation, ducting, running gas and electrical as well as thermostat and gas/electrical inspection. I have been extremely happy with its performance although with the price of NG these days, I tend to keep the garage around 40F when I’m not working in there. My garage is basically the same size as yours, 700 sq. ft. and 8 ft ceilings. I think to pass inspection, the unit has to be “garage rated”…not sure what that means…but the Sterling model I have meets this rating.

HTH,
DanO

Back