• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Gauging interest: Comptech Superharger Group Buy

I am interested. Just like everyone else depends on the final cost. Targa kit.

Thanks

Hmm... this thread makes me want to drive my already-supercharged-384rwhp NSX. BRB. :biggrin:
PS: For anyone hesitating, if you can pull the money together, this is the best roi you can make in the NSX in terms of performance, smiles, resale value etc... You can't go wrong. :cool:

Guys, I will fight hard to get the best price, of course it depends on the number of real interested buyers, but this list is growing much faster and larger than I expected. It's not going to be $7K. My guess is that we will land some place between 8-9K. So if that is not within your budget, I would say don't put your name on the list. I am going to give this GB time to reach maturity... so if you are in a real rush, this may not help you either. It'll be a few months. This gives people to prepare as this is a large investemnt for most people. Also it will take Comptech some time to put all the kits together. So it's not an order today receive tomorrow thing. But if you can wait, and are really interested, I can tell you itll be the best price you can get. Because it will most likely turn into a pretty large order. I think there is some pent up demand for this, and that is why I decided to put it together. It is more cost effective and easier for Comptech to put 15 kits together than one. So the power of all you guys getting together is what will save all of you money.

Last edited:
Hmm... this thread makes me want to drive my already-supercharged-384rwhp NSX. BRB. :biggrin:
PS: For anyone hesitating, if you can pull the money together, this is the best roi you can make in the NSX in terms of performance, smiles, resale value etc... You can't go wrong. :cool:

I agree. It is really really hard to go back to NA once you have had an extra 100 HP. The car is just so different. Yes, 500 and 600 are fantastic but that is a whole other very expensive game. Pretty much any Acura dealer can install the CTSC, and they can also remove it in one day. Although it isn't cheap, if you count the per dollar horsepower, people spend money on a lot worse things. $1500 here, $1000 there, another $700 here, another $800 there, and at the very end they have spent the same amount and haven't gained HALF of what this simple kit delivers. There are cars on prime that have logged over 75,000 miles with these kits installed, and more than a few kits have been installed on cars that have had high milage on the engines. 6-7 psi of boost on an engine that is in good shape is not that much stress. Not just on the motor, but on the entire drivetrain.

- - - Updated - - -

You have the best GBs. You've even got me wanting to join and I already have one! This is the best CTSC GB since the last Nopi. Actually there hasn't ever been a GB after that I reckon.

I do predict an SOS 2.1L GB coming up soon though lol

Yes, that was right before the breakup of Comptech Machine and CT-engineering. That was like 6-7 years ago, and a lot of guys participated.

I do imagine other vendors will react to this, but honestly, they have gone a different route with their systems. No one selling a system here and a system there but at high margins has much motivation to offer a group buy at low margin. Why? when those customers come to you anyway... and I don't blame them, it is more difficult putting together one kit at a time.

I just think Comptech has a great product but they are terrible at creating business for themselves. When was the last time any of us saw anyone from comptech on this board talking about the whole myriad of quality NSX products they make? A company that was many times the standard for aftermarket Acura parts quality. The only company that sold parts through Acura dealers. So if they aren't going to do it, I will. I will just put together a group of people and approach them. I already did have a small convesration with Nate about this.

Just to add..I installed mine myself being extra careful and cleaning stuff along the way all in about 12hrs. You can probably install it yourself better than ACURA techs by being careful. The kit is really very well designed which is partly why ACURA installs it in-house. It's very easy to install.

- - - Updated - - -

Also +1 for Nate. He was very helpful when I had questions while I was considering a 2.3L

Last edited:
Just to add..I installed mine myself being extra careful and cleaning stuff along the way all in about 12hrs. You can probably install it yourself better than ACURA techs by being careful. The kit is really very well designed which is partly why ACURA installs it in-house. It's very easy to install.

Yes, it really is that simple. You just install, check your AFR readings to make sure everything is going smooth and you are done. I looked at it and realized I could have saved the money and installed it myself. There are a ton of little OEM Honda bags in the kit. Where it is possible to use OEM parts, they did. Thanks Ryu, I think it is good to get this information out. It'll cut down on all the PM's I get.... LOL

Wish I could, but still hard to justify the price. Guess I would have to drive/ride in a CTSC NSX.

I have before but that was years before I got my 91. So I can't compare.

Price possibly for a 3.2 Targa (no brace needed)

I am not sure what you are saying, are you asking for a price? If so I don't have exact pricing yet, as before I am going to take the list of customers and see what I can shop the price down to. But you know rough pricing... I can tell you it will be the lowest you can get on this system, becsuse already its turning into a sizeable GB. Do you have a serious interest and want to be added to the list?

- - - Updated - - -

am i the only one that wishes indidnt have my ctsc so i can participate?

No, you aren't. I wish I didn't have one so I could participate too. It's an illness... LOL

Wish I could, but still hard to justify the price. Guess I would have to drive/ride in a CTSC NSX.

I have before but that was years before I got my 91. So I can't compare.

All you have to do is read the NA performance thread and see the numbers, then suddenly the price per HP of a CTSC looks like a huge bargain. I have spent so much trying to shave off weight... Add it all up and you're like "gee, I could have just added another 100 HP". It may seem pricey but it is a lot of bang for your buck and an item that just transforms the car in one whack. I know NA appeals to a lot of people and I certainly don't want to get into that whole conversation on this thread. But NA horsepower is quite expensive and it is limited. FI horsepower can also get quite pricey because you go over a certain number and suddenly you are stressing the motor and need all sorts of ancillary equipment which again means more $$... The guys that have 400, 500, 600 horsepower (and there are a couple of nuts with 700, 900, and 1000) go through a lot of work and expense. Takes a lot of balls and deep pockets and i commend them for doing it. To me the CTSC occupies a nice sweet spot. Easy, and the most power you can get without headaches.

Last edited:
I may be interested in this...

Think about it and if you want to be added to the list let me know. I want serious people on the list but I am not going to burn anyone at the stake if they need to back out for a reason. I just know there is real demand for this and that I have some serious people... And if everyone gets together, it benefits everyone. Even Comptech may get better pricing on their parts with a large purchase versus one here and one there. You can't do these things all the time. There has to be enough demand and enough people. A lot of people bought on the old group buy 6 years ago including myself. So I think it's time for another.

- - - Updated - - -

ebay price is 8900 for this kit on a coupe. http://www.ebay.com/itm/91-2005-ACU...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cce22ddc0&vxp=mtr So hopefully with all these people we could do better than that.

I can guarantee you that participating in this GB will land you the lowest possible price on this unit. I am working with Comptech not just a vendor.

Last edited:
please put me down for 1 kit. Built for a 92. Do these kits have to be tuned or is it plug and play?

There is no tuning. It is recommended that you have the car on a dyno and check your air fuel ratios after install to make sure everything is working properly. A dyno pull with AFR check is under $100 at most places and it takes about 30 minutes.

Last edited:
please put me down for 1 kit. Built for a 92. Do these kits have to be tuned or is it plug and play?
I think Dave would agree... For old cars and/or high mileage cars you really need to check the health and condition your OEM fuel pump as well as clean your injectors and swap fuel filters.

The CT fueling system is expecting your stock fuel system to be in tip top shape. Any decrease in fuel system performance doesn't just mean a decrease in power output.. it could mean a KABOOM... well.. maybe a smaller kaboom... it's a problem nonetheless.

The dyno and AFR readings will bring these issues to light.

Last edited:
I think any mechanic should do a fuel pressure check with the installation. An AFR check after install to make sure all is good is also wise. A lot of this is common sense and well explained in the installation manual.

Last edited:
Dont take this in a negative way, but if the interest for a GB runs for about 6 months like the Advan RSII GB (still waiting for mine) :rolleyes: then I would guess most people could save enough money. That would be a positive spin on it. Also proably get more people onboard.

Dave, BTW thanks for the brace. :smile:

Last edited:
I might be interested depending on the price for a kit for a 3.2 targa. In no rush and willing to wait for more people to get on board if it drives the price down.
Anyone know if NY State inspection will pass an OBD2 NSX running the CTSC with a stock exhaust?

Turbo2Go, put me down as interested for a couple (since I'd source my own RSTB through Ross). S/Cing the NSX was my primary target mod for the car this year.

My main concern being from CA is that I'd be paying tax on this unit as well. I had also read on a different thread awhile back that Driving Ambition had created a special CT-Engineering based kit for 1K20Go and they were looking to bring the kit to market with an announcement at NSXPo. I didn't attend and haven't read anything about it since, so I'm not sure what the status is, but once you have near-final pricing on this kit, I'll have to weigh my options before fully committing.

Turbo2Go, put me down as interested for a couple (since I'd source my own RSTB through Ross). S/Cing the NSX was my primary target mod for the car this year.

My main concern being from CA is that I'd be paying tax on this unit as well. I had also read on a different thread awhile back that Driving Ambition had created a special CT-Engineering based kit for 1K20Go and they were looking to bring the kit to market with an announcement at NSXPo. I didn't attend and haven't read anything about it since, so I'm not sure what the status is, but once you have near-final pricing on this kit, I'll have to weigh my options before fully committing.
Let me just state I have no dog in this race. Just trying to provide some additional info for your consideration.

Shad is clearly the guru in matters regarding the CTSC design and modifications to it. The blower on 1k2go's car is a bigger 2.3L. It's a beast and it's awesome. It designed to boost at 9lbs though. I believe the kit here is still the 7lb, 1.7L which is what the CARB EO is based upon. A 9lb kit is an entirely different animal. Fuel pump, Injectors, Fuel Pressure Regulator, Fuel management (F/IC or EMS) will be needed... and most importantly will likely throw the CARB EO out the door. I considered the 2.3L kit for a long time. I'm still considering it...

Pros and Cons...

Guys lets not go too far off topic here and change the thread to a technical thread, this has been discussed elsewhere. The larger supercharger that shad used is coming through Comptech, and as I said, they will sell a kit with that charger. But it is not legal, it is not a bolt-on, it needs tuning, injectors, pump, AEM EMS, Etc. Its cost is not even close, and not having a shad next to you for tuning is an issue. I've spoken to shad a few times and he loves the basic Comptech kit. He did design it after all. Again, for guys that want to spend thousands more, and are ok with dealing with tuners and whatever they subject your motor to, there are other kits. This group buy is not for them.

If you want to read more about the compaison, there is a thread here

- - - Updated - - -

I might be interested depending on the price for a kit for a 3.2 targa. In no rush and willing to wait for more people to get on board if it drives the price down.
Anyone know if NY State inspection will pass an OBD2 NSX running the CTSC with a stock exhaust?

It will pass in every state including NY.

Back