• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

gearbox/clutch mystery problem

Hi guys, this is one of those problems that you only realise that you are having sometime later. A few weeks ago, I was at the lights and pulled away only to hear that shreek noise that you get when you are trying to get away in the wrong (high) gear. I didnt think anything of it at first (maybe I wasnt giving it enough clutch or accelerator) but it seems to happen regularly now, either when I am pulling away from a standstill or the car is rolling and I opt for 2nd gear to speed off.
It cant be my driving style, as this has not changed all of a sudden! I am also hoping it is not the clutch as it was replaced a few months (3000miles) ago. This may be a clue, but ever since the clutch was replaced, the car always smelt of burining rubber every time I parked up after a spin.
Any ideas whats wrong?

the noise you hear.does it sound like a tire chirp? read my post on that.i was told that its the thrust washer misaligned.my tech said dont worry bout it but i am.also to put in the mix i read a post about having dc headers installed they have to jack up the tranny a tad and i was wondering if that could have done the job on the thrust washer if thats what my noise is as it started after header install dc sports.or if its as edo said the clutch needs initailized again.very frustrating. please read my post on my mystery clutch tranny sound and let me know what you think.mine as i said sound like tire chirp even when launching lightly.the only way i get awy with it not doing that is riding the clutch a little on first gear launch (not good to do) and finally have you had headers dc installed recently?
david

Its hard to discribe the noise, but its one of those noises that if you have been driving several years you will have heard before! Its the noise any car makes when you are trying to pull away in say second gear instead of 1st. Trouble is, it doesnt do it all the time.

Back