• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Gerry Johnson's Turbo kits...

Can anyone here help me find information about GJ's turbo kits ? His website doesn't offer too much information about the level of kits he offers...or if he ships ?? I'm not interested in his radical 550 RWHP personal NSX...or projects as such. I'm more interested in knowning what he offers or has produced to be used with the STOCK motor...as in "base" kits, 360-400 RWHP ...and their cost** Emissions or inspections aren't a concern for me.

*Anyone here have a "base" GJ kit installed on their vehicle ??* I'd be interested in knowning the info on it (specs, RWHP, torque, cost, issues?, etc..)

I think Jerry just handles things on a case by case bases, he doesn't offer any off the shelf kits you can just order.... yet.

The best thing to do call him. He does offer a kit for stock motors. I think it is about 400RWHP.

Rob

nevermind! thats awesome, i'd love to see more details about this then. i'd been looking lately for FI news that appeared over the past 18 months or so, i didn't see anything about jerry having something like this available. where can i find info too?

What kind of 1/4 mile times or 0 - 60 mph times have you recorded?

Any major problems thus far? I live in Chicago, so I'll need to ship my car out to CA for work.

This sounds good, but does he really offer a kit. Meaning we can buy if from him and have it installed at a local shop? For some of us that live over 4000 miles away or an entire ocean away it would be nearly imposible to spend $1000 each way on shipping to get our cars to Gerry. Does he have a basic kit where any competent shop can do the install and tune or does he have to have the car at his shop so he can do the installation? As far as I knew that was the only way so far meaning he has no kit available yet. Hopefully I'm wrong though.

Chris, There has been an instance where Gerry sent a turbo kit out to someone for a local install. I am not sure if he is going to continue offering that or not? Call John or Gerry at Performance Autoworx. I am sure they can work something out, but there is going to be a pretty long waiting list. Good luck

Just an observation here about having a GJ kit. The turbos would not require a wiz to install but the Tec3 is a LOT of work and expertise to program it right. He has done all the instillations so far and is good at it. With no instruction manual you would be on the phone ALL the time and he has none to spare with his work load. I think GJ would be crazy to sell as a do it yourself kit and it would cost more in the longrun in extra time and frustration. Just figure out a way to get the car to Modesto. I know that is not what you want to hear but drop the extra money to get it done right. Dan

selling as a kit

this system was designed by a business. businesses need to make money to survive a good decision would be to sell it as a kit.
and move on.

mmm....

Gerry has done an outstanding job on this system. No doubt, he has experience and expertise to do this right. However, making a "kit", although I am sure not beyond his capabilities, is a whole different "product" project. User manual, tech training, dealer network, phone support, etc.

Putting the parts in a box and putting a price on it IS NOT a kit:)

You need to have a lot of resources for all that. I would have to respectfully disagree that this business needs to make a kit to survive. In fact, if the right resources are not applied, it will kill an otherwise great business.

JMO,
LarryB

Last edited:
Kit mmm...

Not speaking for Gerry, but if it were my product and I was just doing it because I can, I would control the installation of it as well.
With selecting who, when, where and then they accept your terms, it kind of prevents fires. A kit distributed to different outlets gives you very little control. It also elevates your liabilities. Whether they be financially or a issue of credibility... There are dealers that are authorized to do other FI kits, that have those manufacturers on the phone all day long, and they still screw up the install. You look at some of the other specialy tuners, Ruf, Rennsport Systems, Andial, Jackson, you bring your car to them if you want it tuned... Ruf will come to you, although expect a travel fee, but it would be right... Having a small specialty business that's viable without having to advertise or go out and get business is priceless. They can come to you if they want knowing what they are getting, and accepting the terms set before them. There are other kits that can be purchased... I believe he is taking a few of them off to put his on. I don't think those that are purchasing his product cares if the kit was available, I would bet that they are wanting the knowledge that is coming with the system.
JAO

Back