• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Get Married - Yeah or Nay?

I have been married and I would...

• ...never do it again

Votes: 26 45.6%
  • ...only do it again with a great pre-nup

Votes: 14 24.6%
  • ...look forward to doing it again, with the right chick

Votes: 16 28.1%
  • ...CAN'T WAIT to do it again. Being single and 40+ sucks.

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters
I'm in the same boat as you. I also think there is no reason for marriage. Why do people get married? Because their parents got married and their parents got married (also why most people are the religion they are). Because society says it's what you are supposed to do. I honestly don't think I need to bring the law or a written contract into my relationship. I think that if my girlfriend really wanted to get married, we would do it 'off paper'.

Good point, but what about the beneficiary part. What if something were to happen to you as a husband? Where would assets such as R.E and such go?
:wink:

I think that if my girlfriend really wanted to get married, we would do it 'off paper'.

Lol... so you can still have the overarching marriage contract, but then write a bunch of side letters? haha:biggrin:

As for the "Texas Hold 'em -100% All In" approach to marriage

vs.

"My word is as strong as oak, sweetheart"

I personally think there should be some middle ground. Like a lease. You're bound for a few years but can still walk away relatively unscathed if need be.

Off topic, but this is the *one time* when it's nice having a forum (and car ownership demographic) that is 99% dudes. It keeps the opinions honest without a bunch of bitches polluting the discourse with emotional garbage. :biggrin: j/k Mermi.

Off topic, but this is the *one time* when it's nice having a forum (and car ownership demographic) that is 99% dudes. It keeps the opinions honest without a bunch of bitches polluting the discourse with emotional garbage. :biggrin: j/k Mermi.

LOL... It would be funny if our wifes are on here and we don't even know it.:biggrin:

There are of course exceptions to this, so if you're a woman, and this doesn't describe you, then you're one of those.

I think many women have grown up envisioning their perfect wedding. Like we played with cars as kids, part of their playing is the pretend wedding. It's in their books, their magazines, they dream about it all their lives. They want to be that bride in white, it's incredibly special to them. To not allow them to have their wedding is like not allowing us to have our dreams.

If you love someone like that, I think it's important to fulfill that dream for them, and it's an honor for us to be that person that they have always dreamed of.

On the other hand, if they've already been married once, then I see no need to do it again :).

Lol... so you can still have the overarching marriage contract, but then write a bunch of side letters? haha:biggrin:

As for the "Texas Hold 'em -100% All In" approach to marriage

vs.

"My word is as strong as oak, sweetheart"

I personally think there should be some middle ground. Like a lease. You're bound for a few years but can still walk away relatively unscathed if need be.

Well people can still get married by a priest and have a ceremony and everything, but not complete a marriage certificate (i think that's what homos do).

Would that be a good middle ground?

Good for me AZ isn't a common-law marriage state!!!

I'll keep it short 'n sweet, just like most marriages these days!

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE BEEN MARRIED:
what are your thoughts? yes, no, maybe so?

BTW, the financing the wifey operation thread made me think of this. But seriously... 9/10 married guys I know all lament "don't get married bro" and I just want the straight skinny.

Lets assume you are financially successful, so marriage would just be for personal reasons.....

There is no right answer.

Some people are perfect for marriage, and others are not suited for it.

You just have to know yourself and your partner well enough to know if marriage is for you or not.

LOL did you want to get married or not?

Yeah, of course some time. I love the idea of 2 kids, a lab, and a hot wife in a maid outfit that cooks good steaks.

It's the "you gotta know yourself" part that I laughed at...

<well timed interuption>
ohhh, another off topic -- the TV is on and I just saw Konnie Huq, of Blue Peter (UK kids show host hottie), is now a BBC talk show host. haha. I shared a flight to Miami next to her a few months ago and tried my best to join "The Club" with her somewhere over the Atlantic ocean.

Anyway... yeah, this is why I can't get married. :biggrin: :eek:

Yeah, of course some time. I love the idea of 2 kids, a lab, and a hot wife in a maid outfit that cooks good steaks.

It's the "you gotta know yourself" part that I laughed at...

<well timed interuption>
ohhh, another off topic -- the TV is on and I just saw Konnie Huq, of Blue Peter (UK kids show host hottie), is now a BBC talk show host. haha. I shared a flight to Miami next to her a few months ago and tried my best to join "The Club" with her somewhere over the Atlantic ocean.

Anyway... yeah, this is why I can't get married. :biggrin: :eek:
LOL

yea, we've all been there, trust me. Well, most of us once we get married, try to put all that out of our minds. Life's much easier that way.

interesting thread, I think about it like this and presented this thought to my wife before getting married.

"@ the end of the day is it worth it, no matter what happens apart from us abusing each other(mentally/physicall) is it worth it? if the answer is yes than I want you to say yes... now keep in mind this isn't an answer you can change."

just a little more backround I said this almost immediately after I proposed and told her not to answer right away that I would wait till she was sure. You see I am not like most men my age (27, 25 at the time) I feel that marriage is a serious commitment and should never be looked at as "well if it doesn't work out I will just divorce". We went into our marriage knowing that we would never leave eachother no matter how messy I am, bitchy she is, etc...

even though I haven't changed my beliefs she still had to sign a prenup :) and its simply because I know I would never give up on her but you can never be 100% about anyone elses decisions:wink:

How old is your wife again? :) Or are you just saying that men shouldn't get married until 35 :).

PS, I was married 3 weeks before I turned.........35.

Maybe it is just for men I guess.:confused: I know if I had married the girls I, um , well, hung around with...I would be divorced like..ah.....whats the max RPM on the NSX again.:eek: :wink: :biggrin: :redface: Well maybe not that much.

The wife is 28 on Dec 11th. We have been hanging out now for the last 10 years.

I guess 3 weeks before 35 works too. I know if I had gotten married before even 30 I would have been in big trouble. I am a totally different person now compared to back in my 20's.

This may not sound politically correct, but I'll throw the idea on the table anyway ...

Most men love (exotic) cars and beautiful women.

For example, we love NSX. But at the same time, NSX is not our only love. I would love to own and experience an R8, a WRX STi, a F355, RS4, Evo, 911, a Maserati, etc. If not all at the same time (of course that's the best case scenario), I would be in heaven if I can own them just during a period of my lifetime.

Now switch the subject to woman. Most of us love beautiful women, regardless of nationality, race, etc. So it is within our basic instinct that we want to be with different beautiful women.

So back to the marriage thing, in a marriage you should only have one woman and only one, which is against our basic instinct. I would say for some, the fact of only facing one woman for the rest of life is even a torture, not even considering what if that woman is the wrong person.

The dream lifestyle for many is to be able to experience as many exotic cars and beautiful women as possible in a lifetime. So, what's the point of getting married?!

However, that kind of lifestyle is unrealistic for the most of us.

So what we should do then? We should work hard and earn as much money as we can. With enough of the green stuff and enjoy as many exotic cars we can afford, and date different beautiful women this world offered us!!! Money talks in this capitalistic world we live in.

Disclosure - this idea did not came from me.

Last edited:
I'd have to say that the most important aspect of my marriage (other than mutual love) is that husband and wife agree upon their roles in the relationship (whatever those roles may be).

For example, my wife and I agree that the husband is the head of the household. Now, she DOES get feisty from time to time, but then again, she LOVES it when I put my foot down, so it works out.

Anyway... remember: if each person's first priority in the relationship is to take proper care of the other person, look out for the partner's benefit, and be willing to put self last, then the major issues should mostly go pretty smoothly, as his needs will be met by her, and hers by him (two way street).

I like the way you put it! Why there are not many guys out there have this kind of revelation? No wonder all the good guys are married.

Back