• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Gift Ideas for Neighbors

Recently my neighbors who I don't know very well came to my aid.
They didn't have to, but did so and stuck around.

I'm not going to go into detail, but fact of the matter is, they did this out of the kindness of their heart and I'd like to reward them for it.
I just don't know how.

I don't know how big this family is, as I don't really socialize with my neighbors.
It was a father and his daughter who I dealt with.

I was thinking of a paid dinner/gift certificate to my favorite 5 star steak house for them, but then that's more in line with what I would like for myself. :biggrin:

Anyone have any ideas?

beeker16 said:
Recently my neighbors who I don't know very well came to my aid.
They didn't have to, but did so and stuck around.

I'm not going to go into detail, but fact of the matter is, they did this out of the kindness of their heart and I'd like to reward them for it.
I just don't know how.

I don't know how big this family is, as I don't really socialize with my neighbors.
It was a father and his daughter who I dealt with.

I was thinking of a paid dinner/gift certificate to my favorite 5 star steak house for them, but then that's more in line with what I would like for myself. :biggrin:

Anyone have any ideas?

Yes. I've got one. You say that you don't really socialize with your neighbors and you don't know the people who came to your aid.

I'd certainly write them a hand written thank you card as a start. I'd also invite them over to dinner. Make them dinner. It's cheap, and a great way to get to know your neighbors. Esp. since they've shown themselves to be good people who are interested in helping out others.

Who knows... maybe a real friendship develops.

I agree with Da Hapa. Do something personal. Spend time with them, express your gratitude and get to know them over a social event at your house. They made a big enough effort to impress you, make a personal effort to show your appreciation.

ChopsJazz said:
I agree with Da Hapa. Do something personal. Spend time with them, express your gratitude and get to know them over a social event at your house. They made a big enough effort to impress you, make a personal effort to show your appreciation.
ken took the words right out of my mouth - invite them over for an afternoon/dinner and get to know them; you may have *lots* in common or you may get an entirely new perspective on life by having known them.

they sound like wonderful people and, in today's world, you can never have too many good people in your life. my wife and i find it comforting to have personal relationships with many of our neighbors and recommend the "extra effort" it takes to cultivate these friendships... the "fun quotient" payback is great.

finally, if you'd like to *give* them a gift of some sort, do so. if they're not so keen on the idea, you can always offer to give a gift to their favorite charity... in their name or anonymously.

good luck!
hal (who would love to hear how this evolves :)

ChopsJazz said:

Ditto. But do a BBQ. Dinner for a first time is too formal, it often requires people to brush up on their social skills/attire that may cause some people to be reluctant or uncomfortable.

finally, if you'd like to *give* them a gift of some sort, do so. if they're not so keen on the idea, you can always offer to give a gift to their favorite charity... in their name or anonymously.

I recommend The Human Fund. :smile:

Back