• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Going to Amsterdam in a week any suggestions

I work periodically in Germany and when I do I usually take off and go somewhere, this time I am going to Amsterdam. I have been before as a kid, 11, so I don't think it counts. I am sure red light district will have a whole new meaning. Anyway any suggestions on places to go? no I don't want to catch anything that won't wash off with soap and water!!

I hope your work doesn't drug test:eek: !!! have fun:biggrin:

The bike and card are great ideas. It's hard to get around in the city. I always got lost and ended up at some canal. No place to park. Great city.

Be careful. Dog poop everywhere...

Check out Casa Rosa (the place with the peeing elephant fountain out front):) Whatever you do, don't volunteer to be participant in the interactive segment. The suckers who accept the invitation to go on stage become the laughing stock of the show.

Van Gogh museum was very cool and that's coming from someone that doesn't care too much about art.

Heineken factory is a good time, go thirsty.

Last edited:
i was there this past new years... it was damn cold!!!!

Some things to check out for touristy stuff:
Van Gogh Museum
Heineken Experience
Anne Frank's House
Red Light District
and the obligatory coffee shop.

The Green Grasshopper and Bulldog are big coffee shops and can be pretty fun. The small ones are great for meeting locals and such as well.

http://kenji.kenjim.com/index.php?s...=com_gallery&Itemid=14&include=view_album.php

Postitute boat races. Four girls@200ea. Each boat gets a blonde and a brunette, a captain and a bullhorn...

Attachments

• boatrace1.gif
    boatrace1.gif
    31.1 KB · Views: 78
  • boatrace2.gif
    boatrace2.gif
    26.1 KB · Views: 85
  • boatrace3.gif
    boatrace3.gif
    27.8 KB · Views: 80
  • boatrace4.gif
    boatrace4.gif
    29.6 KB · Views: 85
Catch one of the sex shows. I went to one with a big group of people (including my girlfriend - now wife) so it was pretty interesting... it might feel kinda strange going in by yourself though. They're not like peep shows or anything, they are performed on a theater stage with nice seating and what not.

If you're Jewish like me (I see you're from Florida :smile:), or even if you're not, you'll have to visit the the Anne Frank Museum. They have left the home almost exactly as it was when Anne Frank lived there... it is extremely moving.

The red light district is interesting. There is definitely somebody (or something) for everyone there!

Of course the Van Gogh Museum is a must. You might want to check out the Grasshopper club too (it's a coffee shop). It's one of the bigger ones. If you're not into drugs, which I am not, then don't eat a space muffin, which I unfortunately did ("when in Rome"). I felt like I was going to die. :frown:

redshift said:
Catch one of the sex shows. I went to one with a big group of people (including my girlfriend - now wife) so it was pretty interesting... it might feel kinda strange going in by yourself though.

I am not going to be there by myself, I am from London and have a fair amount of family from there anyway one of my cooler cousins is going to meet me. To say he's crazy is a bit of an understatement. I know we will have fun, other friends may join too. I am pretty open minded so it might be on the todo list.

redshift said:
If you're Jewish like me (I see you're from Florida :smile:), or even if you're not, you'll have to visit the the Anne Frank Museum. They have left the home almost exactly as it was when Anne Frank lived there... it is extremely moving. :

I am planning on doing this, did it as a kid but it may be more interesting now as a great piece of history. Oh if you saw me you would know I wasn't jewish, although I guess sammy davis junior was, funny assumption about florida though :)

redshift said:
You might want to check out the Grasshopper club too (it's a coffee shop). It's one of the bigger ones. If you're not into drugs, which I am not, then don't eat a space muffin, which I unfortunately did ("when in Rome"). I felt like I was going to die. :frown:

Heard some interesting stories about space cakes some good some bad, had a bad experience once with brownies in college so its not hard to convince me to stay away from space cakes

Go to the Kinder Dijk (quite far outside A’dam) or somewhere where they have wind mills operating (the old kind).
Go inside while they are turning. You will never forget it. It’s the most awesome thing to see. Powerful and very impressive. The power and the noise of the blades as they blast past is awesome.
From a distance wind mills look cute, but when you are standing right next to them, you feel their power and speed (and danger).

Inside it is all wood, the gears and everything, and the whole huge thing creaks and moves, like a huge wooden warship. It’s a marvel of engineering, no wonder they were top secret in their day.

You can’t imagine their power until you’ve seen one close up.

Ask the guy there if he has a broken gear tooth for you. Great souvenir! Real too. Not made in China.

Back