• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Good thing about 1995?

Hey prime family!! How are you guys~
all of sudden i had this question myself..

What's advantage about 1995 nsx than later model 1997?

All i can think about is in illinois we don't have to take emission test. That's about it.
Is there other reasons?

It is also on-paper the slowest NSX. That could be a good thing, depending on your perspective haha

It is also on-paper the slowest NSX. That could be a good thing, depending on your perspective haha

This the first thing that comes to mind for me as well.

Oh also 1995 is one of only two years that Midnight Pearl was available as a color, and one of only three years that Brooklands Green was available, so if either of these colors are a must-have for you, then 1995 is what you want.

I read the wiki changes, and maybe it doesn't strike me as obvious, but the wiki notes the 95 has better cornering ability than previous years due to changes in the LSD.

Other than that, there's throttle by wire, +100 lbs, changed 2nd gear gearing, modified air flow to brakes, and power steering.

I don't quite understand how it's slower.

Other than that, though, is there another reason(s) the 95 is less desireable than other model years? I am going to be checking out a 95 soon--the private listing on NSX prime in Bell Canyon (http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/172538-1995-NSX-T-black-original-Owner-low-miles) and am hoping to have a better than "read the wiki" knowledge guide on what to look for and points to know as far as car value.

The seller wants 40,000 and so I'm really trying to learn some stuff and this thread seems the most appropriate to ask.

I may be wrong but since it has the 3.0 motor, if you wanted to boost it, it'd be better due to the sleeves I think. I have a Boosted 96 with a 6spd swap, so I have no complaints. Oddly enough I got the 96 thinking I'd really like the targa top, had the car since Jan. and have only taken the top off once lol.

I see there's been a lot of talk about the particular listing I've posted here. Funnily, op is the person who started this thread and another to get advice about the same listing. While I don't have the luxury of choosing between the ebay steal and this one, I am still interested. I just want to be informed as much as possible.

Any thoughts on the relative pricing of the listing? In a couple other threads posters have said it's a little high. Given the ad itself and added information that there was slight paint/dent repair (seen from one of bangski's other threads), what would be a fair price?

I would have to change the timing belt and water pump, if I'm not mistaken (since they were last done in 2007), which seems to be a 2500-4000 job; the number range is huge because I have seen some argument between members and the wiki has some pretty wide range too, with the closest location being in San Diego (I live in the San Fernando Valley, about 5 hours away).

EDIT. thoughts on the listing I included above vs. this 91? http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...e-Red-Black-5-Speed-Garage-Queen-VIN-MT001067

Last edited:
quite simply the 95-96 allows one to buy a t roof at a lower entry price (depending on miles).Add h/i/e mods and you have close acceleration times...the 6 speed also helps the 97 and up cars.The 95-96 cars are kinda a hybrid being na1 but having tbw and obd2 ecu.

Here's my quick summary on those two listings:

1995 Black
1 owner car which is really nice, allows you to get a good idea for ALL the maintenance history. Once you get beyond a few owners tracking what has or hasn't been done to the car can be tricky.
T-top. Honestly this should be a big question you want to ask yourself - do you want to be able to take the top on/off? If so, your decision is simple.

1991 Red/black top
This is the "classic" style and for some people brings back memories of the fantasies they had over this car when they were younger. A low mileage example of this "classic" look is probably what is driving the price on it up a bit as a car like this will be very desirable to a certain type of buyer.
Light color interior, for some this is good - others bad. figure out which type you are. Interior looks to be in GREAT condition too.
The photos are all from 2006, I would ask for some more recent photos, especially of the interior.

Regarding pricing overall - it fluctuates widely based on mechanics, appearance and sometimes just the person selling it. You are going to have a hard time nailing down exact pricing without tracking the market for a while and keeping detailed notes. Or simplify it and simply pay the price you want to pay and be done with it. Don't worry about people who say "oh I got X for $$" and feel that they paid a lot less than you did, there is a good chance they purchased an entirely different car than you. Not all NSXs for sale are the same.

Best of luck to you.

Thank you for the responses. I'm hoping to get to look at the 95 soon. I live local to the seller and I have a pretty good feeling about it.

Just need to get in and fall hard.

If bangski still looks at this thread, did you make any offers on the car? The seller mentioned a couple out of state people had inquired and made offers. I think I'm in line after a couple people.

Hello benjoewoo.. I was busy with other car and work. Yes. 1995 black and black is in fabulous condition. The owner is very nice and they live in pretty nice neighborhood. No doubt on the car. There are couple potential buyer after me. But seller wants to sell it to me. Because im buying the car for my father. Im only 29. I'm still young to drive these kind exotic car. As an immigrant all parents work so hard to raise their children for
better future. This is my big present for my father how thankful im. I bought the white nsx couple days ago. So im not gonna buy this nice 95 nsx.
Seller wants 40k. If you need more info let me know. I got more pictures all the documents and service records from seller.

Bangski I've sent you a pm asking some questions. Guess I'm still third in line, haha.

EDIT: Read the purchasing guides on the wiki and have some basic things to look at when inspecting/test driving.

Anyone have other suggestions on things to look for/things to watch out for? Particularly, anything to look up in the service records? I'll be browsing 18 some years worth of records other than the Carfax and service record .doc that I've seen, and I am admittedly not the most knowledge in knowing what to look for.

Major findings:

At 56k 6/7 years ago he did the timing belt, water pump, and hoses. He's fixed leaks at that time or prior, and car in pictures shows very well taken care of body. Seems like the front two wheels may have minor curb rash and hub caps have a weird coloring on them, possibly scratch/light/dirt, which I obviously have to see.

He's been more than pleasant in talking and so I'm pretty excited to see because the seller has been amicable and has given me extensive, thorough paperwork. I am someone looking very favorably on the targa top and not particularly performance heavy--fast is nice but the "slow" factor between 95 and pre-95 or post 3.2 switch doesn't really bother me considering this car isn't tracking and will likely be a near DD and the usual performance demands will be accelerating to freeway (yes....CA has something over some other states) speeds.

Last edited:
All NSX's are desirable, but relatively speaking, the 95 & 96's are probably less so than the other model years.

Not true, the market continues to show that 95-96's are more desirable than 91-94's by selling for 10-20% more. This is not due to age difference as the cost difference between a 95 and 96 or a 93 and 94 are probably closer to 5%.

Last edited:
Not true, the market continues to show that 95-96's are more desirable than 91-94's by selling for 10-20% more. This is not due to age difference as the cost difference between a 95 and 96 or a 93 and 94 are probably closer to 5%.

Yup. The targa commands a premium. Plus you don't have to worry about all the little BS fixes of the earlier cars. Hardly any 93-94 cars produced so there's not many coupes out there like that. You'll just have to decide if you want a targa or not, that's really the only decision. Otherwise if you want the 3.2 6speed you'll pay more up front but its cheaper than putting those items in later that's for sure.

Back