• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3, thread seperation

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3, thread seperation. This happened during my last road trip and im curious as to what can cause this, there are no signs of any pictures from road debris and there was no damage to my nsx when this happened. By the way, my 16 year old spare tire worked just fine and it deflated perfectly to go back in the spare tire space after i had the new tires mounted.

DSC04420.JPG

DSC04421.JPG

I had the same thing happen to an so3 many moons ago.Real freaky seeing your delaminated tire rolling past you on the highway:eek: I did not retrieve it to check,but I reasoned that i probably had a slow leak due to a nail or such and the tire looked ok because the sidewall is so stiff due to all the metal in it and the low profile.Glad you were able to keep the car under controll as I was able to do.Amazing that your spare deflated properly.Did you use the oem inflater?

Last edited:
I had the GS-D3's a year ago and they have quite stiff sidewalls IMHO. I actually ran very low {almost flat} for a ways before I felt anything. Is it possible you were very low on air and did not notice since the sidewalls seem to have turned loose. It's hard to feel it with such stiff sidewalls.

Take home message is just keep a frequent check of tire pressures.

yes, i used the oem tire inflator. There was no damage to my wheel at all and I didn't take any other pics of the tire. Its very possible that the tire pressure changed during my road trip as I only checked the pressure at the beginning of my trip. The sidewall was very stiff and i can only assume that is why my wheel was not damaged. Also, I got lucky that there just happen to be a tire shop 2 miles from where I was that happened to have a set of tires in my size.

Last edited:
I had the GS-D3's a year ago and they have quite stiff sidewalls IMHO. I actually ran very low {almost flat} for a ways before I felt anything. Is it possible you were very low on air and did not notice since the sidewalls seem to have turned loose. It's hard to feel it with such stiff sidewalls.

I agree with this statement, happened to me. It's hard to tell when you are low on air/almost flat because of hard sidewall and/or low profile tires. When you drive like this (unknowingly of course), this car happen from what I understand.

Nice to hear! I just got me a set of those.

FWIW, I've been running a set of these (in 15s) on my Miata with no problems. They're currently at 18K, hope to get another 5K miles before they'll need replacement. I might even replace my current Bridgestones on the NSX with Goodyears when the time comes.

I had no problem running Eagle F1 GSD3 last time. Lasted longest among other tires I had on the car. Good value for money.

Shannon,
Sorry to hear about your latest expense. I switched to these tires when my SO3's died and they have been great. I highly recommend these tires!! Hopefully this was just a case of bad luck. Glad to hear you were ok.

One think I forgot to mention. My tires came in from Tirerack. I had them installed and the car drove bad. Turns out the front two tires were out of round. Never in my life (I'm 41) have I purchased tires that were out of round. Regardless of cost. They sent new ones and the car drives normal again. However, the tire installer scratched my Volks up something nice. So, my first experience with Goodyear's (coming from SO3's) did not start off on a positive note.

Last edited:
I had this happen in July 2005. Iwas driving a Porsche Boxster at the time, on I90 in Pa. After going through a construction area I felt a little vibration through the steering wheel , like I had lost a wheel weight. It soon became obvious it was getting worse, and I needed to get off the road. I coasted to a stop just as the tire completely seperated. The tire was an almost new Falken. I had no damage to the car. Howard

Attachments

• tire002.jpg
    tire002.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 108
I am almost certain that the problem was a sustained period of underinflation. I ran my last set of rear Dunlops underinflated, thinking that it evened out tire wear, but in hindsight being underinflated was too hard on the wheels and caused excessive wear on the inner edge of the tires, the same as what caused your tire to fail. I am back to keeping 40psi in the rear tires.

Indeed too little pressure you ride the edges building heat,too much pressure you ride the center,but still safer from the standpoint of sidewall failure in the first case.

Had the same problem.

My first track event with the car. I carefully set tire pressures before heading out on the track - I've raced cars since 1987, so I'm not a novice. On my first hot lap, coming off the last corner at Sebring (turn 14?) onto the main straight - the sidewall did exactly as pictured and I spun, but luckily did not hit anything. I've never had anything like it happen before. I chalked it up to a defective tire and bought another one.

Is this related to the made in China thread? The maximum tire pressure indicates 50 LBS has anyone any thoughts on what the ideal pressure is for these tires?

Back