• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

google earth spots swastika fountain...

courtesy of The Register:
http://www.theregister.com/2006/07/28/google_earth_swastika/

"Google Earth reveals swastika water feature
Belgian town scrambles to dismantle fountain
By Jan Libbenga
Published Friday 28th July 2006 13:25 GMT

Google Earth aficionados have created a bonfire in the quiet town of Maasmechelen in Belgium, very close to the border with the Netherlands, by revealing that the fountain at the city council office looks like a swastika from the air.

The fountain has spouted happily for over 27 years, but now the mayor says he will replace it, fearing the town will otherwise be doomed.

Seventy-two year old designer Robert Tachelet says he is "not a nazi, and I'm proud of the fountain. The Germans don't have the monopoly on the swastika, it is an ancient symbol of the Sun god".

He's right of course. In Europe by the early 20th century the swastika was widely used and regarded as a symbol of good luck and auspiciousness - it's just that its most enthusiasitic and best known proponents were the Nazis.

In 1979, when Tachelet presented his work to the previous Mayor, the resemblance of the swastika was not a issue. According to Belgian daily Het Laatste Nieuws (The Lastest News) the fountain will now take the shape of a shamrock.

The hunt for swastikas will most likely continue. Last year, a Swastika Junction was discovered in Florida, and Google Earth aficionados are still looking for a swastika house near Dublin which once belonged to the Germans.

Google Earth users can examine the evidence for themselves here. ®
"

"The Juice" does have a point - why do you post random news stories, but then rarely participate in the discussion? I love debates, but I personally would like to actually hear your opinion on the controversial topics you post about.

Ski_Banker said:
"The Juice" does have a point - why do you post random news stories, but then rarely participate in the discussion? I love debates, but I personally would like to actually hear your opinion on the controversial topics you post about.
i must have missed that point in his posting, but can appreciate that you ask that question.

during the course of my day, i work with a number of people around the world (mainly in the americas and emea, but occasionally asia pac) and in the process, read a variety of news / information sites on a fairly wide range of topics. when i see something i think might be of interest, or offer a unique perspective and / or stimulating to those who visit the off topic forum, i post it. my goal in doing this is to stimulate conversation... sometimes irreverent, sometimes serious. if i have an opinion worthy of posting and believe it's worth nothing here, i offer it; if not, i pass.

best,
hal

Man....people need to relax. I know it's not cool, but if you can only tell from the air, I wouldn't worry about it...especially if it's obvious that the intention of the fountain was not to support the nazis.

What if the Nazi's used the clover leaf as their symbol...think of all the highway on ramps we'd have to destroy...

And btw- tell those google earth people to get a life...how many concrete penises have they found? Think of the children!

queenlives said:
i work with a number of people around the world (mainly in the americas and emea, but occasionally asia pac)

I've only heard "EMEA" and "APAC" in the contact center / BPO industry. Are you CIO for a BPO firm? Just curious, PM if ya like. :smile:

The swastika is alot more than a Nazi symbol. It has been a religious symbol in Hinduism and Buddhism for thousands of years.

To make the coorelation of swatika = Nazi is foolish IMHO. The symbol represents a lot more than 20 years of hatred in Germany. By making the arguement that everything swatika needs to be removed you are doing a tremendous disservice to "other" meanings of the symbol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

btw, this commentary doesn't mean that I condone NeoNazi's or any form or racism.:tongue:

Re: google earth spots swastika fountain... Peace sign near me!!!

I found this image neqar my house. The peace signs have been there for years out in the fields . Jeff

Attachments

• Peace signs raleigh nc.jpg
    Peace signs raleigh nc.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 118
Re: google earth spots swastika fountain... Peace sign near me!!!

allstar said:
I found this image neqar my house. The peace signs have been there for years out in the fields . Jeff

Love the avatar. First thing I'm gonna do if I ever get within 500 miles of mountains again will be to jigrig a ski/bike rack out of a targa top.

DrVolkl said:
Man....people need to relax. I know it's not cool, but if you can only tell from the air, I wouldn't worry about it...especially if it's obvious that the intention of the fountain was not to support the nazis.

What if the Nazi's used the clover leaf as their symbol...think of all the highway on ramps we'd have to destroy...

And btw- tell those google earth people to get a life...how many concrete penises have they found? Think of the children!

I agree with you. The swastika, believe or not appears in many other buildings as well and most of the posts for hanging clothes at retail stores. the posts are actually designed in the shape of a swastika so that when the clothes are hung on each of the four arms , customers can see the clothing from either direction.

http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/july2005/220705swastikabuilding.htm

Last edited:
Back