• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

got a 92 NSX checked out, is this a good deal???

1992 NSX with 148,000 miles for $18,900 (agreed price)

I finally got around to getting this NSX I have been wanting to buy checked out by a good mechanic.. the car is in snap ring range , but the tranny was rebuilt with the parts to fix it, new clutch/flywheel, needs timing belt done in 25,000 miles or so the last time it was done was at 110,000, new axles, stock with 19" axis wheels, new tires/brakes, decent interior and exterior.

the bad on the car-

turn signals do not self canal
A/C freon slightly low charge
trunk accessories rusted (pump and tools for tire) due to moisture Im guessing
RF inner tie rod needs replaced soon
valve cover gaskets weeping
wrong oil pan gasket (aftermarket)
$500 to fix scratch on the quarter
weak radio signal

turn signals do not self cancel - Could be cheap to fix
A/C freon slightly low charge - Probably expensive to fix
trunk accessories rusted (pump and tools for tire) due to moisture Im guessing - used set, 200+
RF inner tie rod needs replaced soon - $100 + alignment
valve cover gaskets weeping - Service needed most likely - $600+
wrong oil pan gasket (aftermarket) - $250+
$500 to fix scratch on the quarter
weak radio signal - ??

So about $1000 + A/C fix ($100-$3000 depending on the issue)

Seems like an OK deal ASSUMING EVERYTHING else is OK.

JMO,
LarryB

why is the A/C going to be so expensive? it still works just needs to be charged. I dont know anything about A/C so any advice is appreciated.

Also let me chime in on the AC. Having repaired many AC systems in earlier cars {not NSX's}, I have never ever liked converting R12 systems to 134 systems. Yes you get all newer style orings with 134 kits but 134 freon runs at a higher head pressure than R12, plus though it does cool nicely it will not cool as good as the R12. That said if you do need AC work and can afford R12 freon {$$$$$} then by all means go that route. I'm speaking strictly from experience. :wink:

Anyone out there with thoughts on buying a car like this one and having it refreshed at SOS vs. buying a car in the $25,000 range with 90-110K miles?

I was wondering that myself.. this is the only one I have found this nice in the price range though.. they usually stay above 20k.. sos told me $6500 with labor to refresh the motor..

well if its gonna cost $6K + to refresh the motor, plus another $1K - $2K to fix all the other items listed... then at that point wouldn't it be better to go with a lower mileage $25K car to begin with?

yea thats what I thought, but 1 this car is 10 mins from my house, 2- low mileage ones dont typically go for 25 they are closer to 30, and 3- who says that low mileage ones are going to last longer than a high mileage taht has been taken car of.. I look at it like this. by buying a high mileage one for under 20 (which is still rare) It may last a long time, but if not for another $6500 I could have a freshly built one and have 25k into it.. its all opinion I guess

Here at work we've got 2 2002 Excursions with 300,000 miles and no oil consumption, run very very well, original trannies. Most of our vehicles {police} are traded at 150,000 miles with zero engine issues, and they're all american made. {ford} I would think 148K on a Honda motor is'nt really an issue if it's been halfway taken care of.

The A/C is probably leaking. The evaporator has been a common problem. I had to get mine replaced and it was about $1000. If the A/C compressor is leaking it could cost even more.

is that something an expert mechanic can look and and fine out, or will he have to take stuff apart? I only ask b/c the guy I had look it over is the most intellegent guy I have met with imports around here. he owns three shops around the st. louis area.. he specializes in honda and toyota cars (800+ hp supras etc..)..

thanks for all the help by the way I love this kind of info.. I am probably going to have it compression tested and have the A/C looked at closer before purchase.

That would be the cheapest NSX in the country. Just buy it.

Sounds very similar to someone I know w/similar miles and +/- similar problems. 10K more miles, might need new axles, not in snap ring range, climate control issues, but clean title w/ no noticeable body damage... got his NSX for $12.5K (running and driving) so do look around and negotiate. I think that's maybe the cheapest I've seen so far. BTW: 1992 5sp as well =)

tell him Ill give him 14 for it, hah jk. yea I am probably going to go for it after I get the compression test.. anyone know what the numbers should be close to when I get it done or what factory is?

"checked out by a good mechanic"

At that selling price I would strongly recommend having it checked out by a good 2nd NSX mechanic as well as a body & frame shop. You will only be out a small ammount compared to what things might cost. Can you post Pic's? Are all the body seams straight? Pass smog? Etc.

"checked out by a good mechanic"

At that selling price I would strongly recommend having it checked out by a good 2nd NSX mechanic as well as a body & frame shop. You will only be out a small ammount compared to what things might cost. Can you post Pic's? Are all the body seams straight? Pass smog? Etc.

Good Advice, price seems low...

Back