• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Got a funny vibration...

Going about 120kph (@ 80 mph) and lifting off the gas produced a noticable hum/vibration that was not there before. I had service done to the car yesterday (rear brakes, fluids etc.) and everything seemed fine, though I'd not had it going fast. When I came home I torqued the bolts again and though 1 or 2 had a little room to turn them up to 80 lbs/feet (like 1/10th rotation, real small) it does not seem enough out to have caused this. I checked the FAQs but could not find any mention of vibration issues. The car handles fine and in all ways seems good but this vibe's got me concerned. It's a 1991, incidently. Any thoughts?

Can you get any sense of where it originates? Can you feel it and hear it? Can you feel it more in the seat vs. steering wheel? If you dip the clutch or put it in neutral does it still happen? (probably not, but worth asking) Does it change if you drag the brakes ever-so-slightly after lifting? Does it change if you turn the wheel slightly as you lift? (careful testing that one :)) While it is happening, lean on the shifter a bit, not enough to drop out of gear but enough to take up the slack in the cables. Can you feel it in the shifter? (unfortunately not a very good test on cable shifters)

Dream up some other similar tests and try to determine where it originates and what conditions make it more or less noticeable.

Thanks. I'll give that a try tommorow and see if I can isolate the source and get back to you.

Back