• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Got my first NSX Last Night!

Here’s my story. I first saw an NSX in the summer of 1990. It was not even released yet but as my then girlfriend (and now wife) and I was driving back to LA on the California coast on Highway 1 from Big Sur, and there it was! The car had not even been released in the states yet but recognized it from all the magazine articles I has seen recently. It was just a beautiful car with dealer plates. After following it for the next 2 hours, we finally split off in different directions. I told my soon to be wife what it was and that someday I will need to have one.

Marriage, mortgage, kids happened so the NSX never did. About 6 weeks ago, I showed my wife another ad for a black 1991 for sale in Autotrader. Much to my surprise, she said, ”If you really want one, then you should get it.” After I picked up my jaw from the floor, I called the number in the ad. The car was only about 30 minutes away. Too late, it was sold but my quest began. I was going to find a black on black coupe that I had wanted for the past 14 years!

I immediately starting looking in Autotrader.com, cars.com, eBay, and every other place I could think because of my obsession. Based on my budget, a 1991/2 was most likely. Found in the FAQ’s that less than 1,000 had been sold in the US. I realized that it might not be easy to find the right car. I knew I had to go with a higher mileage car and may have to look throughout the US.

Only three weeks into my search I found a black on black 91 on eBay. It was being sold by Mitch at Mechanics Direct in Massachusetts. The car had 94,000 miles on it but what really intrigue me were the mods it had. I’m not really flashy but this car seemed to be almost exactly what I want. It had the Comptech Headers and Stainless Steel cat back exhaust, Comptech Airbox, short gears, cross-drilled rotors, painted calipers. The timing belt and water pump had been changed as well. The car did not reach the reserve so I call Mitch afterward to talk about the car. After a few emails and conversations, we had reached a deal. At that time, I had not realized that Mechanics Direct was highly regarded in the NSX community. The only mod I had Mitch do was adding stainless steel brake lines and flushing out the old brake fluid and replacing it with Motul 600. Mitch went out of the way to make sure the car was in great shape before being shipped out to me. Even ordered a spool valve from California and had it overnighted so he could make the repair, thanks Mitch.

I ended having TNT shipped the car out after reading all the comments and talking to Mary Anno at TNT. The car was pick up on June 4 and was expected to arrive on June 16 or 17.

Now I had to wait and look for some wheels larger than the stock 15”/16”. Again, budgetary restraints restricted my decision to the 1994-2001 seven spoke stock wheels. Mike (UFO) gave me a nice deal on his so last night Mike drops by at around 6:30 pm with the wheels. Mike loads the four wheels/tires in his daily driver, a S2000. Remarkable job he did getting the four wheels/tires in a small two-seat convertible! I was sitting on the steps in front of my house when he arrived and he asks if I got my car yet. I tell him it will be here any minute now. I had been talking to the driver all day to track his progress. He had left Santa Barbara just after 3 pm.

I thank Mike and continue to wait for my car. Shortly before 7 pm, I hear a large semi coming down my street. This is it, 14 years of waiting has finally come to and end! I run into my house to grab my camera. The driver comes out and we say hello and ask if I want to go into the trailer for a few shots. I stand on the ramp and my six year old pushes the button to raise it to the upper level. There it is, a beautiful black on black coupe. My legs get a bit weak. I get my shots and then wait for the car to be unloaded. When it gets all the way to the ground, my son gets in and gets the first ride as it is backed out. After a short inspection, the car is mine! By then the initial excitement for my wife and kids wear off and they got to the backyard to play. I get in the NSX and turn it on for the first time. Nice sound but not nearly as loud as I had expected considering the exhaust system. I talk it easy around the block and think this is nice, really nice. As I get close to my home I decide to gun it a bit in 1st gear. Wow!! That exhaust sounds unbelievable at full throttle! And I forgot I had the short gears and 4.55 r&p in it so it’s up to 7,000 rpm before I know it. I let off the gas and coast back to my house. That’s it for the night. I park it in the garage and go into the house to help get the kids ready for bed.

So today I work a half-day, then get the car smogged and have it registered at the DMV. Tomorrow I get the back window tinted and then I have to pack the SUV for a week up at Big Bear Lake. The X will have to wait for another week before I can drive it some more.

Attachments

• IMG_0629-med.jpg
    IMG_0629-med.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_0633-med.jpg
    IMG_0633-med.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_0635-med.jpg
    IMG_0635-med.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_0706b-med.jpg
    IMG_0706b-med.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_0710-med.jpg
    IMG_0710-med.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
I don't believe it - I think I saw the same car!

The first NSX I saw was a black one in the summer of 1990 on highway 1 by Big Sur (with dealer plates). I managed to catch it parked at this little seaside/cliffside bistro one afternoon. I was 15 at the time, and it was a life changing experience. I have wanted one ever since.

A couple years ago, I got started on the same therapy program you are now on. Its worked out well for me, but I've been seriously considering upping my dosage to the Meeyatch1 level.
;)
I have yet to drive mine on Highway 1, but have vowed to sooner or later. Take pics of yours on out there for me!

Great story.

This makes me want one more than anything...

Enjoy!

Congrats! I think you are going to find that the engine sound at 7k RPM becomes addictive.

:D

White94 said:
I have yet to drive mine on Highway 1, but have vowed to sooner or later.

Congrats on your purchase!

I take trips to LA every now and then and sometimes I'll take the NSX. Hwy 1 is fantastic but often crowded. When I go to LA with my NSX next time, I'll wake up at 4am and be out on the road by 5am. The sun is just coming up. There is virtually no traffic at that time of the morning but I may meet up with an occasional moving speed bump though. :) It's like having my own personal 90 mile racetrack. There are a few stretches where you can get into triple digits and one super long straight just before you get to San Simeon (Hearst Castle territory). The only thing to watch out for is fallen boulders in some areas but otherwise is a 90 mile version of Laguna Seca.

When I first bought my NSX from Fargo, ND, I drove it to Los Angeles and stayed there a week with my folks. On the way back I cruised up Hwy 1, my first scenic drive with the NSX. When you're having so much fun, 90 miles of twisties isn't long enough!

Here's a webpage on my NSX purchase along with pictures of my trip back home including Hwy 1 to Monterey.

Last edited:
Vytas ~~ I hear you about HWY 1. The only time to drive it is very early morning before it becomes a sea of vehicles.

The traffic in this country is destroying the best roads for driving.

Another proud NSX owner. What a storyline. And what a drive in such a precise piece of machinery. Congraulations on ride and welcome to Prime. Sounds like you gotta lot more fun and spirited drives coming your way :D

White94 said:
...A couple years ago, I got started on the same therapy program you are now on. Its worked out well for me, but I've been seriously considering upping my dosage to the Meeyatch1 level.
;)

LOL!! You have to slowly work your way up to that level of insanity. HAHAHA!! :D

Congrats on the car!! Owning an NSX is truly a life changing experience. ;)

Black on Black, gee i wonder why i love that combo so much, ohh yeah because it exactly like mine.

COngratulations now what has your wife asked for in return??? A couple of LV handbags, Prada Shoes????? :D :D

dippy9 said:

Congratulations now what has your wife asked for in return??? A couple of LV handbags, Prada Shoes????? :D :D

She has started with the remodeling of both bathrooms but mentioned there is much more to come, $$$$$!

Great story, Gene. :) I never get tired of hearing them. ;) Congrats and enjoy.

Congrats!

Yet another NSX owner named Gene :) That makes at least 3 I know!

Job well done!

Congratulations on the super purchase! Your story brings back fond memories when I purchase my 1st NSX. The best part of owning an NSX is the excitement & it will not wear off, even after years of ownership, I guarantee the you will be just as thrilled in the years to come as you were the day it rolled off the truck!

Enjoy fielding all the up-coming questions from curious on lookers!

NetViper said:
Yet another NSX owner named Gene :) That makes at least 3 I know!

Full name is Eugene. We must be getting these cool cars as compensation for a dorky name :)

Back