• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Got pulled on by a new SVT Cobra

:cool: I had a mustang cobra and that thing was a monster.
i dont think those 0-60 or 1/4 mile times justice the speed of the car,
when i floored this mustang, passenger's head flies to the back seat
but its totally a junk exept for the engine power. i wish NSX had this awsome power and torq with monster sound.

btw.,NSX IS THE BEST :cool:

Incidentally, it's also worth noting that such a narrow speed range, which implies a VERY brief duration of acceleration, could complicate the entire picture. It's quite possible that one car can out-accelerate another car within a 20 mph range, simply because the first car is in the top of its powerband and doesn't need to shift, where that is not true of the other car.

For example, Bob Butler's calculations have shown that a stock '91 5-speed can go from 60 to 80 in 2.67 seconds, and a stock '97 NSX Coupe does it in 2.82 seconds. The '97 is faster at most speeds, but the time for the extra shift, along with the fact that the gearing is taller after the upshift, makes it slower in this particular speed range. The wider the range of speeds being compared, the less likely that such specifics will affect the overall result.

Next time a Cobra comes up on you just take him to the canyons or into the corners. He will never be able to use that power and hang with us. Our car was not made to go just straight!!!!

As a former owner of a 2003 Cobra, I can contribute to this conversation.

My car baselined 358 rwhp and 349 rwtq.
After an x-pipe and cat-back, I dynoed 396 rwhp and 379 rwtq.
The car ran the quarter mile in 13.03 seconds at 111.8 mph with a .67 reaction and a 2.4 60' time.

The limiting factor for the car is traction out of the hole. The car would wheel hop violently for the first 100 ft. If you were running from a roll on the highway, the car would be in its sweet spot.

I ran a buddy of mine that had an E46 M3 that ran 13.07 @106 mph, so you would think the race would be close. However, on the highway, we ran from 60 mph up to 140 mph and I had more than 10 cars on him. The s/c 4.6 litre is a beast on the highway that keeps pulling and pulling.

That is the only car I have owned that pulled that hard well into the triple digits. I

I am not at all surprised at that outcome on the highway. Anyone's best chance against an 03-04 cobra would be from a stop.

Guys, guys, our cars are fast, but don't let every trip to the store be a quick quarter mile drag.

Hell, if straight line speed was all you wanted, go get a new vette, or a 25 year old camaro and put a 600 HP motor into it. Heck, if I put enough money into my CRX it will beat my NSX too.

mc-ca said:
If you feel better, I read that the guy that runs the Ford SVT group drives an NSX.

If you are referring to John Colletti, actually he drives a Ferrari 360 Modena with a bumper sticker that says "I'd rather be driving my Ford GT". No kidding, I got a picture of it somewhere.

mc-ca said:
If you feel better, I read that the guy that runs the Ford SVT group drives an NSX.
It's not Coletti, it's someone else in that group. The reference is in this Autoweek article from 2000: "The merry band of engineers and marketers at Special Vehicle Engineering/Special Vehicle Team - at least one of whom drives to the office in (gasp) an Acura NSX - are in a novel position for car guys at a major domestic automaker."

If it's the fellow I'm thinking of, several of our Midwestern NSX owners know him. If I'm not mistaken, he sold the NSX since then.

Poison_S said:
... and a 2.4 60' time.

The limiting factor for the car is traction out of the hole. The car would wheel hop violently for the first 100 ft. If you were running from a roll on the highway, the car would be in its sweet spot.

holy cow, 2.4 60' time!! (bad)

i agree with poison, cobras have traction issues. even if the quarter mile time is on par with an NSX (or a bit faster) at the top-end, its no competition.

btw, my prelude gets a 2.2 60' time... no saying the prelude is better, its to illustrate the traction issues of a cobra.

IMO this seems to be a given. It's like entering a race with only 3 wheels and wondering why the NSX lost. I have no problems with the newer cobra's even most modded one's.
but to down shift into the wrong gear and then race a possibly modded newer cobra that has little power lag on a rollon race is asking to lose :confused:
now if you raced a stock one and downshifted into 2nd gear and the results were this than i can see reason of this post.

Back