• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Got some new Toyo Proxes (My Review)

Just had some new Toyo Proxes T1-S put on yesterday and I am blown away by the improvment on the ride and steering. Very nice tire with a wicked looking tread!

So far only two negative remarks:
1) I have been having Yokohama's since day one and they have a really low profile. These new Toyo's have a fatter profile that is going to take me while to get use too. It changed the look of my car.
2) I copied the exact sizes that I had on the Yokohams and I am getting a slight rub on the front tires when I turn all the way right or left. It does not rub the fender wells, but that vented portion that sticks out along the front of the wells.

Bottom Line: Love the performance and that crazy tread that throws water about 6' in the air when I hit water, but not crazy about the profile. If I cannot adjust to the look, you may see these for sale on the site.

rickro said:
...These new Toyo's have a fatter profile that is going to take me while to get use too...

...I am getting a slight rub on the front tires when I turn all the way right or left. It does not rub the fender wells, but that vented portion that sticks out along the front of the wells...

I assume you are talking about the height of the sidewall, correct? It's amazing how much difference that makes to the overall look. I'm not a big fan of tall sidewall's either, and so I sympathize with you about wanting a tire that has a thin profile. I've also noticed how the same tire has a fatter sidewall the lower in size you go, ie., the sidewall is fatter for a 17" than for an 18". Is this alway true? It was for the Bridgestone Potenza S03's that I saw.

What sizes are you running?

Regards.

Re: Re: Got some new Toyo Proxes (My Review)

NSXaholic said:
I assume you are talking about the height of the sidewall, correct?

Funny - I interpreted the term "fatter profile" to mean that the tires are wider (that the sidewall sticks out more), not that the sidewall is taller, as you did, Vik. Which one did you mean, rickro?

new toyos

I am running 215/45r17 91W and 255/40R17. Even since I originally posted this thread, I have decided I cannot live with the fatter profile. What I mean by fatter profile is the tire height of space between the outer line of the tire and the rim. The Yokahamas had a really thin profile (about 2") These new toyos have about 4".

I do give Toyo credit for their customer service. I called them to discuss the profile issue and the rubbing on the front fender (by the way I bought the exact same sizes I had in the Yokahamas)and they have a 500 mile trial period. If I don't like the tires for any reason, I can take them back to the dealer and get an exchange or refund.

Re: new toyos

rickro said:
What I mean by fatter profile is the tire height of space between the outer line of the tire and the rim.

Vik, you were right!

rickro said:
The Yokahamas had a really thin profile (about 2") These new toyos have about 4".

Wow! That's a HUGE difference for tires that are nominally the same size.

FWIW, the calculated sidewall height (which does not take into account differences in tire models, or the deflection of the bottom of the tire by the road) is 3.4 inches for the 215/40-17 size and 4.0 inches for the 255/40-17. That's calculated as 40 percent of 215 mm and of 255 mm, respectively.

Your front tires rub the fender liner air vents because you ahve a taller profile than standard. The OEM size was, I believe, a 215/45R16. By going to 17 inch wheel you add one half inch to the rolling radius, moving the tread closer to the fender liner. You should be running 40-profile tires up front if you are using 17 inch wheels, IMHO.

toyo tires

fastcat, you are exactly right. After talking to Toyo that is why they are rubbing. What is weird is that the Yokohamas were that size and did not rub.

So it looks like the rubbing issue can be eliminated, but there is nothing they can do about that profile. FWIW if you are considering these tires, you really need to see an NSX with them on it. It's a whole lot of tire! To me and my friends, the car looks totally different...and not for the better.

Re: toyo tires

rickro said:
After talking to Toyo that is why they are rubbing. What is weird is that the Yokohamas were that size and did not rub.

It's not weird at all. According to your post in the other topic, the Yokohamas were 215/40-17 and here you note that the Toyos are 215/45-17. That one difference (in what they call the "aspect ratio") is enough to change the sidewall height from 3.4 inches to 3.8 inches, and the outer diameter from 23.8 inches to 24.6 inches. And yes, that's the difference between not rubbing, and rubbing.

Incidentally, they do make the Toyo Proxes T1-S in the 215/40-17 size, if you wanted to exchange the 215/45-17 for it...

NSXTASY...
you are right. They have offered to exchange the tires for a 215/40R/17, but the profile is still ugly. For a while I thought it was just me being critical of my car, but all of my friends noticed it right away. It's too bad because these tires ride really smooth.

rickro said:
NSXTASY...
you are right. They have offered to exchange the tires for a 215/40R/17, but the profile is still ugly. For a while I thought it was just me being critical of my car, but all of my friends noticed it right away. It's too bad because these tires ride really smooth.

The smoother ride is due to the taller sidewall, which is better able to absorb bumps.

-CiaoBoy

rickro said:
They have offered to exchange the tires for a 215/40R/17, but the profile is still ugly. For a while I thought it was just me being critical of my car, but all of my friends noticed it right away. It's too bad because these tires ride really smooth.
Its too bad -- I've been running 215-40-17 T1-S Proxes for awhile now, and I think they look FINE.

Am not sure what this "ugly profile" issue is -- doesn't stick out enough, or does too much ??

Part of this might be due to a mismatch between wheel width and tire width (affects "shape") and/or wheel offsets (affects "protrusion").

This ugly profile comment is only an opinion. I am use to the profile that I had with the Yokahamas which is definetly a thinner profile and in my opinion....makes the car look sleeker.

I think the Toyo Proxes ride and perform excellent. Since there has been a lot of response to this post, I think I am going to take pics of both so that everyone can see the profile difference. I will post them soon.

Back