• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

GPS Antenna location

All you guys with the pioneer units ( I have the F90), where are you mounting your GPS antenna? I don't want it outside. I was looking for a place inside while I'm waiting for my console and mounting bracket.

Any Ideas would be greatly appriciated. I was looking at putting it in the rear speaker hump hidden or under the dash near the clock? Helpful pics would be great!!

Charles

EDIT: did another search and found some answers here

Last edited:
i vote in the dash above the radio/vents. less hassle :D

we mount every single gps antenna we do in the dash and they all get great reception. xm/sirius is a different story though...

we mount every single gps antenna we do in the dash and they all get great reception. xm/sirius is a different story though...

That's were I put mine and it works great. And it's an easy install

Thanks that sound like the way to go. I have my dash clock out and just looked to see there's a lot of room for the GPS..

That's because there are atleast 3, usually always 4 but sometimes more GPS satellites in view in any given location on earth. You need 3 for gps to work and 4 to include altitude. GPS also orbits twice a day around the globe, 4 satellites in 6 planes (or was that 6 satellites in 4 planes??? Been a while), but last I checked 26-27 GPS satellites in orbit. That doesn't include the new commercialized GPS satellites going up by the EU. In addition there are several terrestrial signals transmitted to help further enhance the accuracy of gps, these can be found at airports and in our town, the front left hand corner of a fire station building. So GPS will always get a strong healthy signal when you're out on the road and even have the antenna hidden in the dash.

XM/Sirius on the other hand uses geosynchronous satellites. One satellite for a certain part of the country. I don't recall how many they have or exactly where they are positioned. But you gotta figure 1, maybe 2 satellites in view at all times. Alot less to grab a signal off of.

That's because there are atleast 3, usually always 4 but sometimes more GPS satellites in view in any given location on earth. You need 3 for gps to work and 4 to include altitude. GPS also orbits twice a day around the globe, 4 satellites in 6 planes (or was that 6 satellites in 4 planes??? Been a while), but last I checked 26-27 GPS satellites in orbit.
QUOTE]

6 orbital planes with 4 satellites in each plane in a circular semisynchronous orbit

That's because there are atleast 3, usually always 4 but sometimes more GPS satellites in view in any given location on earth. You need 3 for gps to work and 4 to include altitude. GPS also orbits twice a day around the globe, 4 satellites in 6 planes (or was that 6 satellites in 4 planes??? Been a while), but last I checked 26-27 GPS satellites in orbit.
QUOTE]

6 orbital planes with 4 satellites in each plane in a circular semisynchronous orbit

Thank you, I was searching for semisynchronous in my head but it eluded me.

Back