• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Grammar?

What is going on here? We've had a lot of posts regarding the differences between "their" and "there", etc., but now I see so many post that have:

- I done got this...
- So I done said...
- The sailer said he had done...
-...will be have...
-...they should have make...
- S0 I get quote...
- ...because i cannot...
- ...so I done...
- I luv that color...

Well, we all make mistakes when we are typing. No big deal. But sometimes threads with mistakes drive me nuts.

Thanks for viewing. I think I'll have another glass of wine...

Coming from SF, you should understand the culture differences. NOT EVERY immigrant CAN SPEAK PERFECT ENGLISH. If you think that's bad, you should see some of writting from my customers (20 plus year old white male) with their grammar - Writtings they post actually make me feel good about the way I write.:wink::biggrin:

Re: Wrong thread if you ask me

Well, we all make mistakes when we are typing. No big deal. But sometimes threads with mistakes drive me nuts.
Couldn't agree more. But when that stuff occurs to me, I think of posting to the "Thoughts on Aging" thread (aka, "you know you're old when............" thread).

What's that saying.......getting old ain't for sissies. And most of us have a lot way to go still. :eek:

Your right, on all accounts. :wink:

fry-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

What is going on here? We've had a lot of posts regarding the differences between "their" and "there", etc., but now I see so many post that have:

- I done got this...
- So I done said...
- The sailer said he had done...
-...will be have...
-...they should have make...
- S0 I get quote...
- ...because i cannot...
- ...so I done...
- I luv that color...

Thanks for viewing. I think I'll have another glass of wine...

This thread is HELLA pointless :wink:

I could not agree more; people whose primary language is not English I cut some slack. All these young people who grew up (supposedly) speaking, reading & writing English get no mercy. They are just ignorant, lazy, etc.

Its mainly a product of the MUCH younger crowd on here (no problem with that) that have been raised on text messaging.

Just a few years ago one could get through life with near-illiteracy and no one would be the wiser. But now, with the internet, participation means exposure. In the name of science, read a few write-ups on eBay; there, a good cross-section of the population presses into service skills which they never previously thought worth developing. People who never read a newspaper or grumbled through a book report are hard-pressed to compose an essay describing an object they’d like to sell.
However, after learning the rules I believe that one should be allowed to knowingly break them. I’d rather split an infinitive than split an idea. I ain’t got no problem with that.

Can I "aks" a question? :rolleyes:

Playing with the language:
What’s for dinner, baby? / What’s for dinner? Baby?
What’s that up there on the road ahead? / What’s that up there on the road? A head?
I was driving my car through the country, when I passed a church coming down the hill.
I was sitting at a red light yesterday, when suddenly I turned into a woman.
The weathergirl covering the hurricane in South Padre is really getting hammered…
Last night I caught my wife kissing my best friend. You bitter? Yep, bit him, too.
Use the word “horticulture” in a sentence.
You can lead a horticulture … but you can’t make her think. (Credit Dorothy Parker)
Use the word “fascinate” in a sentence.
My sister has a yellow sweater, and it has 12 buttons on it; but she is so well-built that she can only fascinate. (Credit Jeff Foxworthy, I think).

I'm the same way. Everyone around me knows this so I've become the go-to guy in the office, as well as in my social circle when it comes to spelling advice, sentence structure or even picking a synonym! I know what you're thinking, everyone in a modern day office should have MS Word available, but think of this - how bad is someone's spelling when they can't even spell the word halfway right to give this software a chance to recognize the word?

The funniest thing about this, I'm a foreigner! I speak few languages and sometimes get called out on my accent (when slightly inebriated), but never on my spelling and grammar!

I wonder what happens to a society when it loses proficiency in its primary language. Well, maybe it would be more appropriate to ask what would happen to the language. In fifty years, the way that we speak and write today could conceivably be considered a form of old and obsolete English; maybe akin to where we place Shakespear's writing in practical use today. :D

Havin an wife whos a librarian my grammer and righting is geting critiqueed allways buy her. Im surprized bye how oftin eye sea grammer mistake's in news papers, book's an magazine's to. :wink:

The answer to this topic of discussion is that we all need to get edgeewmakated.

I done got this...
+ fixen to do this...
= Redneck from Yeehaw Junction, FL.

Last edited:
Back