• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Gran Turismo 5: Prologue U.S., April 17, 2008

If you're not on a budget, get the G25.

As for that wheel, I would go with the Driving Force Pro or Driving Force GT before I go with that one because it atleast has a sequential shifter on it.

The only Logitech wheels to consider (since they sport the 900 degrees of rotation that makes them so much better than any other wheel on the market):
  • G25 - the only one with clutch pedal, h-shifter
  • Driving Force GT - the only one with the quick tune dial (new to GT5: Prologue)
  • Driving Force Pro - first 900 degree wheel on the market (technically not supported for use with PC like the others, but I have heard people have gotten it to work). I own this one and it is good enough that I haven't really felt the need to upgrade

All are USB and feature excellent force feedback. You really can't go wrong with any of them.

When will someone come up with a Recaro seat and harness that simulates the physics such as accelaration and decelaration? Except for that 120 MPH carsh into the barricade of course :eek:

That would make the best practice before track events.

Also - how/where do we pre-order the game?

re: steering wheels, I just got the driving force pro and I think it's great. my biggest issue is that I don't have a good table to connect the wheel to race. If I attach it to my coffee table, it's too low, if I attach it to a lap desk, when I really have to crank the wheel, I end up picking the whole lap desk off of my lap and then I have a period of time when I've lost control of the car.

A dedicated racing seat thingy is out of the question as the PS3 and the big tv are in our tv/family room. Any suggestions? What's your wheel mounted to?

A dedicated racing seat thingy is out of the question as the PS3 and the big tv are in our tv/family room. Any suggestions? What's your wheel mounted to?

Same reason why I haven't ever looked into the racing seats...low wife-approval-factor.

251581443_kPuNp-L.jpg

(I took this photo awhile ago...back when I first got the Japanese version of GT4)

I use an old synth keyboard stand for mounting mine...it is rock stable, can be lowered for seated "endurance" racing, raised for standing arcade-style, folded to be completely hidden away (though I'd have to remove the wheel if I did that)...and it can be widened to accommodate two wheels side-by-side. Normally I just shove it in the closet when not in use. I have more issues with the sliding pedals...they actually clung better when I had carpeting in my old place...but they tend to slide away from me on our hardwood floor (and the angle isn't ideal for depressing pedals...most of the racing seats raise them to a more natural angle).

As for full motion cockpits, there is one that Subaru takes on tour that moves around and features a three-screen setup (when I last saw it, it was running a special version of GT4: Prologue that features the WRX rally car)

When will someone come up with a Recaro seat and harness that simulates the physics such as accelaration and decelaration? Except for that 120 MPH carsh into the barricade of course :eek:

Theres a few of em out there. They cost a few $$$ though. Here is one of em. I have seen nicer ones at car shows and events here and there but cant remember the brands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8-0s--48wo

I know it's a long shot, but any chance of the Mach 5 making an appearance in the game? The reason I ask is because:

1) The game release is about 3 weeks prior to the film release, and
2) The April 2008 issue of Road and Track and a write up on the Mach 5, and the writer gives credit to Polyphony for providing "simulation" data for the technical specifications used in the writeup. :)

2) The April 2008 issue of Road and Track and a write up on the Mach 5, and the writer gives credit to Polyphony for providing "simulation" data for the technical specifications used in the writeup. :)

Apparently you are not the only one speculating about this.

I personally have not seen nor heard of Polyphony putting movie cars in their games before...but that certainly would be a stretch since they feature concept and prototype vehicles alongside of the production versions.

BTW, I do not like what I've seen thus far of Speed Racer...won't be catching it in theaters that's for sure.

Good idea here...

NSX Prime GT5 online championship!!! :D

We should soooo do this!

I'm not a big gamer other than the GT series and an occasional soccer game but in all honesty, I can't wait patently enough to get this game. I'm naturally awesome at GT and driving games. I've been wanting a PS3 because of bluray anyway!

re: steering wheels, I just got the driving force pro and I think it's great. my biggest issue is that I don't have a good table to connect the wheel to race. If I attach it to my coffee table, it's too low, if I attach it to a lap desk, when I really have to crank the wheel, I end up picking the whole lap desk off of my lap and then I have a period of time when I've lost control of the car.

I just got this for my wheel for the xbox and it works pretty well..

url]

31K9XK2AJZL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Table-Mate-II...e=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1206919081&sr=8-1

$5 off...regular price is $39.99...best price I've seen thus far.

I finally got to "A Class" events on the Japanese GT5: Prologue Spec II...the Integra Type R challenge on High Speed Ring where you have to, in one lap, move up from 16th place to finish in the top 3 took me quite a few tries.

Last night, I also got my name in the top 5 time trials for the '91 NSX on High Speed Ring (5th) and London (2nd), both using professional sim (didn't try too hard...guess there aren't a lot of people playing right now in Japan). They're still up there now (meaning you can download my replays)

Last edited:
Slightly off topic, but until we get this new version, please share any tips on getting my Logitech Driving Force Pro steering wheel to work w/ GT4 on my PS3. The steering wheel works just fine on the GT5 HD demo.

Thanks!

$5 off...regular price is $39.99...best price I've seen thus far.

I finally got to "A Class" events on the Japanese GT5: Prologue Spec II...the Integra Type R challenge on High Speed Ring where you have to, in one lap, move up from 16th place to finish in the top 3 took me quite a few tries.

Last night, I also got my name in the top 5 time trials for the '91 NSX on High Speed Ring (5th) and London (2nd), both using professional sim (didn't try too hard...guess there aren't a lot of people playing right now in Japan). They're still up there now (meaning you can download my replays)

Of course, you have to pay for shipping, so you're basically right back to $40....

Ah...yes...shipping. I wonder if they'll have that price in store.

BTW, I should have added that my time trial top 5 finishes aren't exactly that stellar. There were only 11 entries total for High Speed Ring, and 3 total for London. I guess the Japanese aren't playing Prologue that much right now (and even fewer are playing professional simulation).

Top Gear Season 6, Episode 1 is now on the Japanese version of GTTV in English (with Japanese subtitles)...standard def...must be downloaded (no streaming or background downloading...and it appears content will only appear on GTTV for a limited time (because they only have a preset number of menu items, they have to juggle what appears within them). :(

Recent interviews with GT series creator Kazunori Yamauchi confirm that Gran Turismo 5: Prologue itself is only 50 percent complete. Prologue will receive at least one major update before the end of this year...and, in that update, we can expect to a more fully realized online mode and car damage.

Considering recent events, I think damage is overrated. :eek:

Yamauchi also mentions some form of PSP to PS3 online connectivity with the PSP version of GT...which is apparently still in the works.

I now have a Championship White NSX-R in my garage and have been attacking the "A Class" events. In professional sim, I've only been able to earn trophies on a few of the events (using the R8 and the new GT-R), but I couldn't seem to get past fifth place with the NSX-R. I switched simulation modes and easily earned a gold on one of the races that I couldn't seem to beat on pro.

I should add that I've been playing through these events with the Sixaxis. I've been playing during my some of my lunch / dinner hours at the office and didn't feel like bringing in my Driving Force Pro. Professional simulation requires much smoother throttle and braking to keep from losing traction on the more powerful cars (and I don't play with assists). I think I'll stick with the normal sim until I go back to the wheel.

BTW, DualShock 3 controllers come out in the U.S. this week. It will be nice to feel those rumble strips again.

Reminder...PlayStation Store is currently offline and will return tomorrow via PS3 firmware update with an all-new look...no longer dependent upon PS3's web browser. The firmware update also includes DTS-HD and DTS-Master Audio support for Blu-ray movies...finally!

GT5: Prologue's release is on schedule...the download will be in the new store on Thursday. I've seen some places that suggest the Blu-ray version might street a day or two earlier. Unfortunately, I'm waiting for it to hit my company store, so I may not be playing the U.S. version as soon as some of you.

Reminder...PlayStation Store is currently offline and will return tomorrow via PS3 firmware update with an all-new look...no longer dependent upon PS3's web browser. The firmware update also includes DTS-HD and DTS-Master Audio support for Blu-ray movies...finally!

GT5: Prologue's release is on schedule...the download will be in the new store on Thursday. I've seen some places that suggest the Blu-ray version might street a day or two earlier. Unfortunately, I'm waiting for it to hit my company store, so I may not be playing the U.S. version as soon as some of you.

What about Dolby True HD?

Updated PS3 tonight. The PS Store had a bunch of missing images though..looks like they have to fix it.

I read that the store wasn't expected to be fully live until today...so I was surprised to see that the firmware updated last night. New interface is much slicker...when images aren't broken. The streaming video previews are nice too. :D

Ordered this today from Amazon.com

41nfJphRhHL._SS350_.jpg

$299-$50 off (Gold Box item) plus free 2 day shipping. Just in time for GT5 Prologue :biggrin:

Back