• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Grand prix white ?

I wanted to know

Is the white, for the 91-2001 , the same as the 02+ cars ?

If so i guess i just like the the grand prix white on the 02+'s better . I have started looking for a nsx again. I had to sell mine about 6 months ago and i am going through withdraws :eek:

wow thats what it is thanks, No clearcoat huh ?
grand prix white looks nice, rare too.

only about 5% of all NSX's are white...

I won't claim to be an expert on paint, but I'm pretty sure my 92 GPW has clear coat on it. In fact, I'm not sure if any NSX (At least US versions) came without clear coat.

yes, but they started clearcoating it in 1997 going forward--
Do you have a source for that? An earlier thread shows this excerpt from a repair manual:

parts1.jpg

I stand corrected. All these years and I never knew. :eek: It is amazing though how much shine you can still get and that you can still see swirl marks as if it had a clear coat.

I agree with ChrisK's original assesment... I really think my '92 has clearcoat. Original paint (24,000 miles) and I had a small rock chip on the fender that you could see the clear/base. I also had a NSX-R hood and side skirts painted...and they were clearcoated to perfectly match the factory paint/finish.

Gosh..

I didn't know this either..

Now I understand the little stains that still remain when I wipe off droplets of sap, bird droppings etc. They do come out though , during wax prep.

Think I'm going to wax more often.

thx for info.

spooler

I agree with ChrisK's original assesment... I really think my '92 has clearcoat. Original paint (24,000 miles) and I had a small rock chip on the fender that you could see the clear/base. I also had a NSX-R hood and side skirts painted...and they were clearcoated to perfectly match the factory paint/finish.

I saw no difference in yours or mine and Ive had mine repainted. Im going to be pissed now if my paint doesnt match OEM.:mad:

also .. the later (Newer 97+) GPW is a whiter white compared to the earlier GPW. (i did a comparison)

also .. the later (Newer 97+) GPW is a whiter white compared to the earlier GPW. (i did a comparison)

Hmmm...this is highly interesting. That's good to know if indeed it is the case. If one does a 2002+ conversion on a GPW 91-96 NSX the tow hook cover, which comes pre-painted, will need to be painted over again to match the bumper if the bumper is matched to the rest of the 91-96 GPW body.

Also, if the body shop only looks up the paint code for a 2002+ GPW bumper, which they might, they might paint your new parts a different color than the pre-97 GPW.

Honda is usually very good about acknowledging changes with the paint codes...this revelation is unusual.

parts1.jpg

This is from the Mitchell Collision Repair Manual and the information it lists is sometimes wrong. I have been using it for decades along with other manuals. Factory manuals can be wrong too and some have changes and updates as new printings are made.

Look what the one above says about the fasteners. The NSX manual lists no such empirical recommendation. It mentions replacing self locking nuts and to check the mated bolts to see if they need replacement as well but most of the other hardware used to fasten the different components is meant to be re-used if they are in good condition.
Think about it. The fasteners are loosened every time you do a alignment and they are not replaced.

That paint from the factory on two different cars, of different years, of the same color can be a different shade is common. On many, soft parts don't match to the body itself or to each other. This is not new.

parts1.jpg

This is from the Mitchell Collision Repair Manual and the information it lists is sometimes wrong. I have been using it for decades along with other manuals. Factory manuals can be wrong too and some have changes and updates as new printings are made.

Look what the one above says about the fasteners. The NSX manual lists no such empirical recommendation. It mentions replacing self locking nuts and to check the mated bolts to see if they need replacement as well but most of the other hardware used to fasten the different components is meant to be re-used if they are in good condition.
Think about it. The fasteners are loosened every time you do a alignment and they are not replaced.

That paint from the factory on two different cars, of different years, of the same color can be a different shade is common. On many, soft parts don't match to the body itself or to each other. This is not new.

So...just curious then. As a professional in this field, how would you handle painting a 1992 Grand Prix White NSX - or some of the parts? Use clearcoat or not?

I use base/clear on all colors except the tri-stage yellow pearl.

On the red which is base tinted/clear I use base/tinted mid-coat/clear.

We haven't used a single stage color in a couple of years. We had used it on older commercial vehicles.

Answer to you question: I would use base/clear.

I use base/clear on all colors except the tri-stage yellow pearl.

On the red which is base tinted/clear I use base/tinted mid-coat/clear.

We haven't used a single stage color in a couple of years. We had used it on older commercial vehicles.

Answer to you question: I would use base/clear.

Thanks for "clearing" that up.

Okay...so now I am freaking out. If this is true about the Grand Prix White cars not having a clear coat, how does this change the way I should buff and wax my car? I love my NSX and do not want to harm it.

Okay...so now I am freaking out. If this is true about the Grand Prix White cars not having a clear coat, how does this change the way I should buff and wax my car? I love my NSX and do not want to harm it.

As pbassjo said in one of his posts regarding the manual..."information it lists is sometimes wrong" I believe my original '92 Grand Prix White has clearcoat. I just finished detailing it using a Porter Cable with 3M finesse first, followed by Poorboys Glaze and then Poorboys pure Carnuba. It looks like new. No swirls - nothing but shine.

Mitch, your screwed. Your car will be Berlina Black tomorrow:):). Sorry, I could not resist.

Regards.
LarryB

I believe it has clearcoat on it, but it is mixed in the actual paint. Unlike conventional paint jobs, where clear is put on after paint, it is prob all mixed into one....or I could be wrong.

Yes, I think the clear is in the GPW paint, it's called "single stage" paint.
This was verified by a paint guy at Napa, he looked at my car and then looked it up in his paint code book and told me it was single stage, no clear top coat was needed. (92')

If you want to know if it is single stage then there are a few ways to try. Get a gritty polish or 2000 / 3000 wet paper and use it above a stain if the water is white then it is single stage. If it is not then it is clear coat.

Back