• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Group Buy: Short(er) Antenna Replacement - Guppy Attack - ROUND 6

After the first five successful Guppy Attack Group Buys we have made arrangements for a SIXTH Group Buy on this Short(er) Antenna Replacement.

--//--

IMGP8915.JPG

My car came with a Shark Attack Antenna, which many people run on their NSX - I felt it was still a little too tall. Recently mine also broke, since I use a car cover, and the Shark Attack is fixed in place. Over time, cracks started to form in the base, until the mast snapped off. I found a replacement, which is easier to install, can pivot front to back, and is way shorter (90mm vs 250mm):

IMGP8900.JPG

The antenna is amplified, just like the Shark Attack, so wiring is the same. One nice detail is that the power wire for the amplifier is blue, like the NSX dash wiring, and not red, like the Shark Attack; there's also a filtering system, but my reception was good before, and is good now, so I don't know the impact of this extra electronic bit. The blue wire on the antenna is is spliced into the pink/white wire which goes into the OEM antenna:

IMGP8908.JPG

The fastening is easier, since this antenna tightens from the top, and not from the tight space on the bottom. You basically unscrew the nuts on the antenna, slip this antenna in from the bottom hole, then slide the base pieces over the top, and tighten the upper nut with a 19mm wrench. The antenna itself can still swivel from front to back if everything is aligned correctly, which means using a car cover will not break it.

The complete replacement assembly weights 5.8oz (0.36lbs), based on weight-reduction threads, other members have placed the stock antenna weight at 1.7-2.2lbs, so it's a weight savings of about 1.5lbs.

Radio reception is good, it seems the same as the Shark Attack II which I removed. The amplified antenna base is produced by Metra, so it's from a quality company.

Here's the finished product, it's about the same height as an NSX-R wing, and blends nicely:

prof.jpg

IMGP9027.JPG

--//--

Group Buy Information

SOLD OUT

Last edited:
I'm in!

pm'd you for international shipping....... Payment made, but I don't know how to add the word PAID beside my name on your posting....... Thanks!

Last edited:
image.jpg

Installed! I love it!

Question though... Is it supposed to be stationary or should you be able to move it forward and backward? I tried not to overtighten it.

Last edited:
It can be moved front to back with slight pressure; if you want to keep it stationary, you can tighten the top nut more-snug, but part of the benefit of this design is the ability to move (when caught on a car cover, for instance).

This is also part of the importance of aligning the base pieces prior to tightening, to allow this top to back movement.

I'm in!

Payment sent, thanks.

This is not a complaint, but I think a short review is appropriate for anyone thinking of ordering. I installed my antenna and have discovered that the primary station I listened to is apparently just a little bit out of range for this antenna. Where I never had reception issues with the stock antenna, I definitely have issues now. Sitting still it usually works, but once I'm rolling I have frequent drops in reception.

Again, Im not complaining, just relaying my own experience. It would be unreasonable to expect a 3" amplified mast to perform as well as the ginormous stock mast, but it's something to consider if you're thinking about ordering. The radio station in question (WUSF) is only 71,000 watts and 50 miles north. I can pick up other full-power commercial Tampa stations without any problem. Just my bad luck in this case.

It's an amplified antenna, but there's still no substitution for length when it comes to hard to tune-in radio stations. I had no problems in Los Angeles, or here in Las Vegas, but YMMV.

We do have a few of these left, we built an extra 20pcs during the last Group Buy, so we'll keep the Buy Button active in the first post until we run out. I think it looks fantastic on the NSX, especially compared to the factory antenna, it shaves 1.5lbs from the car, and it provides a functional antenna for those who still listen to FM radio.

Back