• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Group Buy: Short(er) Antenna Replacement - Guppy Attack

Also, reception is not as good as I hoped and a big step down from OEM so far. I will update after I drive more than just a few miles around town.

Same for me and I'm in the Washington DC area, so FM stations and signal strength is a plenty!

I'm not impressed with the signal quality at all, I would say compared to OEM being 100% clear, I'm probably around 40%, maybe less? If you're a HUGE fan of FM stations and using the radio, I don't think this is a good solution. However, if you want the smallest possible antenna to avoid the OEM antenna going up when using the OEM stereo for CD's or IPOD (with adapter), then I think that's a better goal.

I would recommend to the seller to package this antenna with the IPOD adapter as an option to the set. :)

Are these still available? Just saw the thread and this seems to be a good solution to my antenna problem and if it doesn't work..well it's only $50 - and that isn't too bad of a loss in the NSX world.

Steve Glover
Port Orchard, WA

hoping that there's still clarity on the FM stations, fingers crossed

Did you do this and if so has reception improved?

Nope..no improvement....awaiting for a 2:1 adapter to fit another stick-on-block antenna and run it in parallel and see if it can improve.

The clue to the poor reception is likely the size/length unfortunately as the reception becomes clear when I grip the antenna with my hand and hence using my body as an extension!!

SS

Last edited:
Used a 1 to 2 adaptor and fixed another aerial in parallel.
Reception had no improvement. :frown:

SS

I didn't think it would have any effect, the aerial height is the advantage of this unit, as well as the cause of this concern.

I guess it just depends on your area, we put a second on our work pickup, and it also gets all stations, with no signal drop-off.

--//--

If anyone is keeping up with the Second Group Buy, we made a decision to start Powdercoating the Antenna Mast, which was Anodized before. This is to increase durability, since anodized masts will start to fade over time. We're offering these new Powdercoated Antenna Masts to members of the First Group Buy, at no cost.

Once you receive the replacement Powdercoated Antenna Mast please mail us back your original anodized masts, to the address on the yellow envelope containing the replacement.

I didn't think it would have any effect, the aerial height is the advantage of this unit, as well as the cause of this concern.

I guess it just depends on your area, we put a second on our work pickup, and it also gets all stations, with no signal drop-off.

--//--

If anyone is keeping up with the Second Group Buy, we made a decision to start Powdercoating the Antenna Mast, which was Anodized before. This is to increase durability, since anodized masts will start to fade over time. We're offering these new Powdercoated Antenna Masts to members of the First Group Buy, at no cost.

Once you receive the replacement Powdercoated Antenna Mast please mail us back your original anodized masts, to the address on the yellow envelope containing the replacement.

I'm not sure if your sending to everyone or not but I would be interested in receiving the powdercoated mast. Thanks.

I'm not sure if your sending to everyone or not but I would be interested in receiving the powdercoated mast. Thanks.

We're just going off the original shipped list, so if you received an antenna, you will receive a powdercoated mast. Once it arrives we ask that you send back the original to the address on the envelope.

We figured this would be easiest, since those who have installed their antennas won't have to send back the mast to be refinished, it eliminates downtime.

When I installed mine, I was unable to thread the nut onto the antenna base. It wasn't long enough. So instead, I took out the ring, part #2 on the picture from the left. I was able to hand tighten the nut without it moving. It doesn't leak water either.

We're just going off the original shipped list, so if you received an antenna, you will receive a powdercoated mast. Once it arrives we ask that you send back the original to the address on the envelope.

We figured this would be easiest, since those who have installed their antennas won't have to send back the mast to be refinished, it eliminates downtime.

This is really nice of you guys to do this! Thanks!

When I installed mine, I was unable to thread the nut onto the antenna base. It wasn't long enough. So instead, I took out the ring, part #2 on the picture from the left. I was able to hand tighten the nut without it moving. It doesn't leak water either.

Thats what I had to do with mine, not by choice mine fell somewhere and I to this day have yet to locate it, however it hasn't moved and it hasn't leaked.

I'll take the powedercoated mast.

Sign me up for a powder coated mast as well. I have yet to install mine, but should get around to it next week.

We shipped masts to all members of the first group buy on June 26th (International members also). :smile:

Per the enclosed letter, we ask that you return your original, anodized mast, at your convenience, so we can have them refinished.

Scorp I will be out of town starting Friday for 2 weeks. Just a heads up.

scorp965,

I just received the replacement in the mail today. Also, I shipped it out via First Class in an envelope back to you. Let me know if you need me to scan the proof of shipping receipt.

Thanks again,

i got my replacement mast will send the other one back when it arrives

My 2 Cents about the reception issue
I use my 92 daily driver with 185,000 miles, to reverse commute thru downtown Dallas traffic. I rely on morning and evening traffic info via AM radio.
Many years ago I upgraded to a Kenwood 8120 DD head unit and replaced the OEM mast antenna with the Shark Attack and noticed a significant reduction in signal quality. I tried the S2000 antenna, no better, maybe worse. About a year ago I added a HD radio module to my head unit, mounted it where the phone speaker used to be. Instantly my reception was almost as good as the OEM head unit with the OEM mast antenna. The digital signal with HD radio is remarkably good, although all stations are not available via HD radio.
A week ago I replaced the Shark attack with this smaller "Guppy" version. I found the installation to be by far the easiest of all. The reception on my HD radio channels is almost the same as the Shark Attack. This new one just looks better!
In summary, if you have an OEM head unit and good reception is important to you, stick with the OEM mast antenna. If you have an aftermarket head unit and want to use this guppy antenna, consider adding a HD radio module for improved reception of those HD stations available in your area.

Some head units, especially the newer high end models have HD radio built in. My Kenwood 8120 did not....but it came "HD ready".
I called Kenwood tech Support and was informed that the specific HD tuner add on for my 8120 was the Kenwood KTC-HR300.
I bought this on eBay for about $75.00
I just checked eBay and they have 2 listed one for $69!!!
As previously mentioned, I mounted it in that center panel between the seats.
I removed the speaker, chiseled off the mounting posts for that speaker, surrounded the module with some foam and ran the wires up under the center console.
I encourage anyone considering this add on to first check the availability of HD stations for your area!
Good luck!

Back