• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Group event to Gerry Johnson's shop

Since we've stirred quite a bit of reaction back in the other post, I figure I start a new one for interested members.

Anyone out there know Gerry Johnson personally and is willing to contact him for a possible group event at his shop? I'm sure many are interested in his turbo setup and are potential customers.

Let's see a show of hands for those that are interested in attending something like this.

Any bravehearts out there willing to lead the X pack?

I'll check with him - be prepared however that free weekends are normally pretty rare for Gerry, so it might not be too easy for him to accomodate.
A bit presumptuous to ask for show of hands in interest before you understand if Gerry can accomdate the request. He's a very accomdating guy, but only fair to ask first before people get too excited about the idea.

I've had the pleasure of meeting Gerry and he's a hell of a nice guy. He even let me drive his rocket powered (at least that's what it felt like) NSX. He is extremely knowledgeable in the turbo/mechanical field. I've seen his work and it's nothing less than Boeing quality. I would feel very comfortable leaving my NSX with Gerry for any mods. Unfortunately, I've got to pay for my NSX first before any real mods can take place :D .

I'd love to see Gerry and his shop again. Besides, it's only a 40 minute drive for me.

So how about lunch at the SJ Country Club, then a fun run over Mt. Hamilton to Gerry's for an afternoon tech session? I do need some lead time to make reservations though...

OK - good news is Gerry supports the idea!
However the hard part is finding a schedule - he will get back to let me know when we can perhaps do it.

Number9 said:
So how about lunch at the SJ Country Club, then a fun run over Mt. Hamilton to Gerry's for an afternoon tech session? I do need some lead time to make reservations though...

Sounds like an excellent itinerary. Shall we make this the June meet or July meet?

-CiaoBoy

sob......it's so touching to see so many supportive NSXers in our group.

D'ecosse: thanks for the contact...i still owe you a video.
#9: thanks for the suggestion...great combo
all others: thanks for the interest

now i guess we just wait for the day......(jeopardy music plays)

CiaoBoy said:
Sounds like an excellent itinerary. Shall we make this the June meet or July meet?

-CiaoBoy

Don't think we can assume that we can pick the day, & quite possibly will not be the first Sat in either month, our regular scheduled event dates - let's wait to see what Gerry can accomodate us with & we'll go from there.

events don't have to collide with the first Sat of each month....i'm up for any event any Sat....i'm normally driving with my friends every Sat anyways.....yes, even the rainy ones.

i'm okay for any weekend......:)

ken....just bring it on and i'm there....thanks again for your time.

Yes definetely, doesn't have to be a first Saturday... Any day of the weekend of any time of the month is good, as long as there is a good amount of time for people to prepare for it

D'Ecosse said:
Don't think we can assume that we can pick the day, & quite possibly will not be the first Sat in either month, our regular scheduled event dates - let's wait to see what Gerry can accomodate us with & we'll go from there.

I'm not assuming it's the first Saturday of the month. You're assuming that I'm assuming I wanted it to be on the first Saturday of the month. ;)

I'm fine with any day that Gerry chooses. I just hope I can go on that date so I can drop off my car. :p

-CiaoBoy

I don't think I was splitting hairs - the "meets" (whether June or July) are always the first Sat of every month. So when you say "shall we make it the June meet or July meet" I am not assuming anything but addressing a specific request for specific dates. These may be possible, I am just not presumptuous enough to specify them. But, again no, this does not have to be per the regular meet times.
Gerry is an extremely accomodating individual & I am simply trying to avoid putting him in the position of being dictated to: maybe I'm being over-protective, but we are asking the favor & wishes for a preference are nice but common courtesy says please let us wait for dates to originate from Gerry to meet HIS schedule & we'll take it from there.
If you are serious about dropping off your car, why wait for the group thing - go for it! :D

D'Ecosse said:
I don't think I was splitting hairs - the "meets" (whether June or July) are always the first Sat of every month. So when you say "shall we make it the June meet or July meet" I am not assuming anything but addressing a specific request for specific dates. These may be possible, I am just not presumptuous enough to specify them. But, again no, this does not have to be per the regular meet times.
Gerry is an extremely accomodating individual & I am simply trying to avoid putting him in the position of being dictated to: maybe I'm being over-protective, but we are asking the favor & wishes for a preference are nice but common courtesy says please let us wait for dates to originate from Gerry to meet HIS schedule & we'll take it from there.
If you are serious about dropping off your car, why wait for the group thing - go for it! :D

I'm just poking fun. Whenever Gerry can accomodate us is fine. If we wanted the first Saturday of the month and he was unavailable, we wouldn't be able to force him anyway, right? Hehe.

As for dropping off my car, I need a ride back. Hence, I need to go with a group. :)

-Chris

hey chris,

i can give you a ride anytime....just give me a call. i'm a bay area nomad so i'm always moving around. i love to see new shops and meet new NSX techs...i'm sure 8000 has offered you a ride as well.....

let me know...

Blue Knight said:
hey chris,

i can give you a ride anytime....just give me a call. i'm a bay area nomad so i'm always moving around. i love to see new shops and meet new NSX techs...i'm sure 8000 has offered you a ride as well.....

let me know...

Cool. Thanks for the offer. 8000RPM has offered me a ride too, and it works out well because it sounds like he is going to turbocharge his car as well. I can return the favor to him.

If the event to Gerry's shop is too far in the future and I can't wait to get turbocharged, maybe I'll go sooner. ;) We'll see...

-CiaoBoy

no sweat...if i do give u a ride there, u can return the favor by giving me a ride....don't go too fast, though or else i may have to get one as well :D

just curious, ken.....how many people can gerry's shop accomodate? i may have a friend or two that is interesting as well. this just popped in my head...don't want gerry's shop to be flooded....

Once we get a date, We can see how many are up for it - think a dozen might be a good number???

Chris - I thought you talking about dropping car off was tongue-in-cheek, but beginning to sound like that was serious - I don't think it's as simple as just showing up, leaving your car there & picking it up a week later. I think he might already have a backlog in process & then there are parts to order etc.
I'll send you his e-mail address so you can contact him directly to see whats involved, schedule availability etc. Probably good to chat with him & get more info - he's always very receptive to inquiries.

D'Ecosse said:
Chris - I thought you talking about dropping car off was tongue-in-cheek, but beginning to sound like that was serious - I don't think it's as simple as just showing up, leaving your car there & picking it up a week later. I think he might already have a backlog in process & then there are parts to order etc.
I'll send you his e-mail address so you can contact him directly to see whats involved, schedule availability etc. Probably good to chat with him & get more info - he's always very receptive to inquiries.

Actually, I've been in touch with Gerry for a few months now, Ken. Gerry's definitely been very receptive and patient with my questions. Yes, I was totally serious when I said I wanted to leave my car there and needed a ride back to the south bay. I do realize that it would take a lot longer than a week, since he has to fabricate custom piping to accomodate my catalytic setup. I'm shooting for a smog-legal solution. I plan to take my car to a referee smog center to pass both the emissions and visual inspections. One thing I haven't decided on is whether to use the stock cats or the Random Technology cats that Dali sells. So far there's been no data from anybody who has used the Random Tech cats.

-CiaoBoy

I should have realized that you weren't naive enough to just show up & leave it without pre-discussion - sorry.
So, it will be interesting to see how it fares at the smog - that opens up whole new possibilities too. I'm sure he'll have his work cut out plumbing that though!!!!!!

i love that pioneering spirit attitude, chris.....i'm counting on you, buddy.....for a ride :D

Blue Knight said:
i love that pioneering spirit attitude, chris.....i'm counting on you, buddy.....for a ride :D

Actually, I'd prefer NOT to be a pioneer. It's just that the other turbo kits out there aren't smog legal and likely have no intention of being smog legal because those tuners are not in CA. So I'm forced to try and find a solution myself.

-CiaoBoy

Back