• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Gunmetal wheel colors

I almost started this in the off-topic area because it's not NSX specific, so please feel free to move there if appropriate, mods.

My NSX came with 3 sets of fat fives and I envision one day refinishing the most marked-up/dinged set in a medium gunmetal just to try something different and have a second set of wheels in nice new condition. Before anyone asks why spend $400 on fat fives: I'm pretty satisfied with 15/16's for my driving style, for the many good tire options, and I think they look pretty good on a small car like the NSX. And...they're "free." :) I find myself frequently looking at wheels in parking lots when out and about, thinking that's probably the best possible way to window shop for appearance and easily later get the right paint code. Wondered if anyone's ever noticed and might agree with my opinion on something - I think Nissan/Infiniti have perfected the gunmetal wheel color options. Most every time I see a "perfect" gunmetal color and/or finish or clear-coat, it's on a Nissan or Infiniti.

That's really it - anyone else ever think this about Nissan wheels? Or have an opinion as to who's doing the best gunmetal finish currently in your opinion?

c2fc8dbe462135dfba85b48ad7f6fe99.jpg

Infiniti Q60S. A photo doesn't do it justice.

Last edited:
It's funny you mention this color. I'm looking at this color for my Kaiser Silver NSX but fear there may not be enough contrast. I'd love to see gunmetal wheel pics on a NSX.

My NSX came with 3 sets of fat fives and I envision one day refinishing the most marked-up/dinged set in a medium gunmetal just to try something different and have a second set of wheels in nice new condition. Before anyone asks why spend $400 on fat fives: I'm pretty satisfied with 15/16's for my driving style, for the many good tire options, and I think they look pretty good on a small car like the NSX.

I'm driving on OEM Fat Fives and like you they're more than adequate for my driving style, lot's of low cost tires and I like the look (I'm one of the few, I know :smile:).
Would be interested to see pics of where you end up on another color for the Fat Fives.

Would be interested to see pics of where you end up on another color for the Fat Fives.
Will do. Honestly, compared to today's cars where every component seems to shout its styling at you, the dated five fives actually are kind of refreshing, lol.

If you do choose to refinish, I suggest Renewed Finishes out of Saylorsburg, PA.

Dave did an amazing job on my LMs, and his prices are very reasonable considering the quality.

http://renewedfinishes.com/

Thanks John! I'll definitely let you know when I follow up on anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Very impressive examples at their site! Do you have any good before/after photos of your wheels just to see for fun ?

Very impressive examples at their site! Do you have any good before/after photos of your wheels just to see for fun ?

I do indeed. I have a lot of "after" shots in my build thread, but I can post them here also.

BEFORE:
These are what the wheels looked like prior to being stripped. The 17's started off silver, and the 18's started off gold.

As you can see, I had a fair amount of crud on the inside.

The factory machined finish on the barrel of the lip was pretty tarnished.

DURING:

Stripped and bead blasted

Sanded/brushed, working to even out the surface

Coated centers

Raw barrels waiting to get worked on

Sanding/brushing the lip to get the surface even

Just beginning to polish the barrel lips

Freshly polished barrel lips covered ready to coat the barrels

AFTER:

Hope this gives you an idea of the work they do. Dave does a great job of providing updates and photos as he does his work.

Hope this gives you an idea of the work they do. Dave does a great job of providing updates and photos as he does his work.

That was a great post, great photos! I'll definitely use those guys.

Glad you posted them - I enjoyed re-reading the post while stuck in traffic for the past 90 minutes heading to Westinghouse - bad accident on I279. Good thing I got up at 530 to get a head start today on an emergent issue!

That was a great post, great photos! I'll definitely use those guys.

Glad you posted them - I enjoyed re-reading the post while stuck in traffic for the past 90 minutes heading to Westinghouse - bad accident on I279. Good thing I got up at 530 to get a head start today on an emergent issue!

Haha. You're very welcome! I'm glad I could provide morning entertainment for your wait in traffic. I'm definitely interested to see how they come out!

Nissan Charcoal Mica

That's a great color!

Last edited:
Back