• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Happy Hanukkah!

redshift said:
Happy Chanukah to all my Jewish brothers out there! :biggrin:

Didnt think there were too many of us on here.:biggrin:

Add another member of the tribe here. :smile:

Althought, I would also like to add "Happy Festivus, for The Rest of Us!"

We did Hanukkah one year growing up and got seven crappy presents, so we decided to go back to Christmas and get one good one. :biggrin:

NsXMas said:
The only reason I'm not Jewish is because I couldn't handle the circumcision thing.
Too much information. :)

From the Chicago Tribune:

295620.gif
Barbara Brotman

Christmas Eve plea: Leave the movies to us

Published December 23, 2005, 3:40 PM CST

A Christmas Eve Plea: Leave the Movies to Us Jews

My family and I pulled up to the zillion-plex on Christmas Eve last year with traditional expectations: Uncrowded theaters, no lines for popcorn and exchanging greetings with people we haven't seen since Rosh Hashanah.

Imagine our shock when the place was packed.

Shock? Make it dismay as we searched for a parking space in a lot that by all rights should have been nearly empty.

Who were all these people? There aren't that many Jews in all of the western suburbs. They were obviously Christian, and yet here they were, spending Christmas Eve at the movies. Would Chinese restaurants be next?

So to my Christian friends and neighbors, I make a plea:

Leave the Christmas Eve movies to us.

Going to the movies on Christmas Eve is our tradition. Sure, it started as a reaction to yours. What else could we do on Christmas Eve? Eat Chinese food, of course, but then there are hours after that when the streets get quiet and other people's houses get full of warmth and celebration. And so, in a tradition that has come to take on our own sense of joy, we go to the movies.

But now, so do you.

May I ask why? Shouldn't you be home with your families? Christmas is such a beautiful holiday, even from the outside looking in. Why would you want to spend Christmas Eve at the 7 p.m. showing of King Kong?

Personally, I have no standing to try to keep others out of my Jewish Christmas Eves. I have decorated friends' Christmas trees, sung Christmas carols and eaten unconscionable amounts of Christmas cookies.

But a minority participating in a majority's traditions seems very different from the reverse. The Chinese restaurant-and-movie combo is an expression of the pleasures of being part of a small community that is different from the larger one. When we encounter our landsmen at the popcorn salt shaker, there is a quiet sense of friendly familiarity. In our separation from the Christian world, we are brought closer to our Jewish one.

It isn't just that I don't want to have to buy my movie tickets in advance. It's that I derive a certain comfort from watching the Christmas Eve mantle fall gently over the world, even if it isn't my world. I love thinking about people being home with their families on one night. The fact that different groups of people have different traditions makes the world richer.

And so, King Kong.

You can see it any time. But for the sake of preserving both our traditions, consider not seeing it on Christmas Eve.

Go home, people! Have a beautiful family dinner and a happy Christmas Eve, and leave the big monkey and the Raisinettes to us.

Hey,

I don't think I like the Chinese restaurants comment in her article, Erin get me her bosses phone number at the tribune!

Happy Holidays everyone

Uh... last year I was introduced to a new holiday ripped off from the O.C.... you see, I'm an honorary Jew (sworn in by my best bud Nathanael Scheer)...

Chrismakah!

Happy Holiday all... shall we brag about the high temps now or later?

Rob

orbusrex said:
shall we brag about the high temps now or later?
Are you asking whether you should wait until the eight months a year that it's hell outside during the day where you live? :D

nsxtasy - Great Article! I found it extremely funny as I actually went out for Chinese tonight (Christmas Eve) and the place was ridiculously packed! :biggrin: :biggrin:

creative338 said:
Hey,

I don't think I like the Chinese restaurants comment in her article, Erin get me her bosses phone number at the tribune!

Happy Holidays everyone
hehe. I think you'd be better off asking nsxtasy - I don't have any chi-town hook-ups. :biggrin:

orbusrex said:
Uh... last year I was introduced to a new holiday ripped off from the O.C.... you see, I'm an honorary Jew (sworn in by my best bud Nathanael Scheer)...

Chrismakah!

Happy Holiday all... shall we brag about the high temps now or later?

Rob
Okay, I'll start the bragging. 79 degrees today and were expecting 80 degrees on Christmas (~15% humidity)!

nsxtasy said:
Are you asking whether you should wait until the eight months a year that it's hell outside during the day where you live? :biggrin:
Funny because it's so true! Our summer is somewhat like your winter - 3 months of hell. It's 115+ outside, but at least there is 0% humidity. Why doesn't the US just buy up the Caribbean? :wink:

redshift said:
Our summer is somewhat like your winter - 3 months of hell.
And your spring and fall are pretty darn unpleasant as well - as we found out during NSXPO 2005 two months ago.

Happy holidays to all!

ANYTIME said:
Never forget. It's a dry heat...........

Ha Ha "Dry Heat" It' Still way too freaking hot...dry or not...I will stay here where it's Dec 25th and 62degrees and in August??...78degrees.

Hope you all had a Happy Chanukah...Mazel tov!

nsxtasy said:
And your spring and fall are pretty darn unpleasant as well - as we found out during NSXPO 2005 two months ago.
LOL! So true! BTW, Spring and Fall don't exist out here. We just lump those two into our one master season... summer. :biggrin:

zahntech said:
Hope you all had a Happy Chanukah...Mazel tov!
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

NsXMas said:
Actually only 5 months of the year is it over 90 degrees outside.
Not. As noted in this table, here is the average number of days per month in which the temperature in Phoenix exceeds 90 degrees:

Jan 0
Feb 0
Mar 2
Apr 10
May 23
Jun 29
Jul 31
Aug 31
Sep 28
Oct 15
Nov 0
Dec 0

Which means seven months of misery.

Total number of 90+ degree days per year:
Phoenix: 169 :eek:
Chicago: 17 :D

No thanks!

redshift said:
Lucky for me, I'm an Arizona native. It's not hot until it's 110+ and it's freezing when we hit 50 degree overnight lows. :biggrin:

I'm not even a native and I don't think it's too bad until it's 110...

I grew up in CT and DC, and they can have their 100 degree 90% humidity summers and cold a$$ winters... at least here I can go for a jog (even if it's in the morning) year round... there aren't many places that can say that... and I lived in Seattle too, I'd go back if I could, but the Canadian border is kinda slow!!

Happy New Year!

Rob

orbusrex said:
I lived in Seattle too, I'd go back if I could, but the Canadian border is kinda slow!!

Happy New Year!

Rob

HUH?...Why?...do you need to go to canada everyday?

I'm in canada right now ...went across at Sumas..took 2 mins....sking at Apex is great!!!

zahntech said:
HUH?...Why?...do you need to go to canada everyday?

I'm in canada right now ...went across at Sumas..took 2 mins....sking at Apex is great!!!

Check out my signature... Blaine wouldn't cut it for me!!! Love it up there though!

Back