• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Hard to shift into gear and revs hang...not fully disengaging?

NA2 6 speed. Sitting at a stop it will not shift into reverse without unnecessary force. It will however shift into reverse without force if I put it into 3rd then go to reverse. Getting into to 1st gear at a stop is taking more and more pressure than should be required. On occasion when shifting from 1st to 2nd the revs hang for a second in between gears

Observations:
- Shifts normally through gears while driving
- Pumping clutch at a stop does not make it easier to shift into 1st or reverse
- Slow fluid level drop in clutch reservoir (I've added a few ounces over 9 months)
- Pedal appears to have full range and no obstructions
- Seems to be getting more difficult over 9 months

Could a drop in clutch line pressure/leak cause a lag in disengagement or a partially disengaged state? Pedal adjustment?

Thanks for any help!

I had issues with this somewhat but I had a small pool of fluid staining my carpet. Turns out my clutch master cylinder was shot and I probably had air in the line. My clutch would sometimes not disengage fully and I'd get a faint burnt clutch smell. Good luck with what you find.

Does it grind when you get it in first or reverse? My cousin wrx had a grinding 1st and reverse and he changed it with redline lightweight shockproof oil and topped off with motul 75w-90. But in our case instead we wouldnt be using 75w-90. Just a suggestion!! It is highly recommended by wrx guys. You can google it, andrewtech cocktail.

Don't get crazy trying to analyze clutch issues when you are loosing fluid....it is leaking under your carpet and you don't see it.....a new master and slave will solve it.

I have a similar issue as OP. Replaced master, slave and bled several times but did nothing.
We then installed SOS clutch line damper kit but still no fix. Which shop are you taking your car to? Did you find out what the issue is?

Back