• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Has anyone replaced brake fluid?

I'm due to replace and I have a question about the sequence. The service manual lists two separate bleeds when replacing the fluid. On the SECOND bleed it says to turn the vehicle off, wait three minutes and do not open or close the door. However, it doesn't say what state the car should be in for the first bleed. Is it on? Door open? Door closed? Engine running?

Strange that they jump right into the steps for the first step without indicating the ignition state since they are so specific on the second step.

When bleeding but not replacing the fluid, you open the door, wait three minutes, then disconnect the 12V battery for the duration of the procedure. Again, very specific.

Thanks,
Steve

I ended up having the dealer do the fluid exchange. It was not expensive at $150, but worth it having the trained tech perform the maintenance. The oil change was twice as expensive. You can access the Honda Service site: https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.aspx A one time 3-day subscription costs $25 but gives you access to all the service information. That is the safest way to insure you have the correct information. Given that our cars have brake by wire, suggests that you want to be really careful in what you do to the system. I would recommend paying the dealer and watching them perform the job.

Thanks for the reply. My info above is from the techinfo article on replacing the brake fluid, which is why it's frustrating that they didn't explain it very clearly for the first bleed. My car is put away for the winter, which is when I do all of my maintenance. I'm taking it out for a trip to COTA in February and want to get all the fluids replaced. I'll give my dealer a call and see if they can get me a clear answer from Acura.

I ended up having the dealer do the fluid exchange. It was not expensive at $150, but worth it having the trained tech perform the maintenance. The oil change was twice as expensive. You can access the Honda Service site: https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.aspx A one time 3-day subscription costs $25 but gives you access to all the service information. That is the safest way to insure you have the correct information. Given that our cars have brake by wire, suggests that you want to be really careful in what you do to the system. I would recommend paying the dealer and watching them perform the job.

I figured it out. The first bleed is labeled as "Between Tandem Motor Cylinder and Brake Caliper" which means the servo system must be activated and the valves to the master cylinder closed. This graphic I found explains that mode. Open the door and turn the ignition ON within three minutes.

Screen Shot 2020-11-23 at 9.22.32 PM.png

I didn't do a full brake bleed, but when I swapped all four calipers it was very easy and I had no problems afterwards.

I didn't do a full brake bleed, but when I swapped all four calipers it was very easy and I had no problems afterwards.
Curious as to why you swapped all four calipers out. Was it to change colors? I am assuming the same calipers for either the steel or carbon fiber rotors. Is that correct?

Curious as to why you swapped all four calipers out. Was it to change colors? I am assuming the same calipers for either the steel or carbon fiber rotors. Is that correct?

I wanted red and someone else wanted black. Both cars had CCB's.

I had the brake fluid flushed back in the late spring. Also did the electric motor fluid. Neither was expensive. Oil change also.
It’s under warranty so let them do it all.

Edit... Make sure the dealer confirms they have the brake fluid. Mine thought they did, but oops, they didn’t. Two days for them to rush it in. They said it had to come from the factory in Ohio.

Last edited:
What prompted me to get the brake fluid changed was I kept hearing what sounded like a pump turning on / running as I came to a stop. Strangely similar to the NA2 ABS pump, but not nearly as loud. Dealer and tech couldn’t find anything on it. After the fluid change no more pump noise.

This is actually easier than the older Boxsters. Thankfully this uses a pass through system for the brake fluid, so bleeding it like any other car swapping one caliper at a time purges the air bubbles so there are none.

Back