• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Has your attitude changed since you bought your NSX?

Have owned mine about six weeks and swore I'd never become anal about a car, but guess what? I've become anal. It always bothered me when reading the Vette forum about owners not wanting to drive in the rain, not wanting to drive it 'cause it's clean and the car becomes a garage queen.

Perhaps because it's black, perhaps because the underside of this 91 is in pristine condition, perhaps because I've got two other cars to drive, but I've become one of those who won't take it out if there's a chance of rain. I know it's made of aluminum and not sugar, but I'd like to keep it in its current condition for as long as possible. One of my C6 Vette buddies at work kids me - "Did you drive yours today?". Nope, chance of showers. "Drive your Vette today?" Nope, sitting in the garage, looking clean.

The guys bug me at work - "You drove the stinkin' Miata?" Yep, was a top down day and I'm taking advantage of it. If the weather would just start behaving like summer here in the northeast, maybe the NSX would see more road time.

And then again, maybe it'll start irritating me more that it sits too much in the garage and I'll change my attitude and drive it more. And then again, maybe not. :smile:

Hey John & Brad, I live in Sierra Madre!

After buying my 95 last September I experienced many feelings, good and bad.

At First:

• Buyers Remorse.
• Afraid to drive the car for fear that this was the day I would get into an accident.
• The car was not as nimble as my 92 Prelude with electronic 4-wheel steering.
• The firm I worked for was slow and I was uneasy as to my job security, so I began worrying about loosing the car since it is luxury.
• I took my car to the car wash - hand wash only.
• I spent a lot of time looking for a safe parking spot.
• I let valets park my car.

Now:

• I’m so thankful that I bought an NSX.
• I drive her to work at least one day a week and as often as I can over the weekends, particularly on long trips.
• I have gotten use to how the NSX handles and this has increased my driving enjoymnet significantly.
• I was eventually let go at work, but I’m not selling the car unless the situation become dire, which is unlikely.
• I still spend a lot of time looking for a safe parking spot.
• I wash the car myself.
• I no longer let valets park my car.

Last edited:
I love this car.

When I started making decent money I promised myself a toy. I always wanted the nsx, but the buy in price, even for a used one was something I was squeamish about. So, I went the roundabout route: 300ZX, SC400, 300ZXTT, Skyline GTR, then finally the NSX. I cannot believe I wasted the years with the other cars!

Everytime I am near it I appreciate its classic beauty and the thoughtfulness of the design. Its literally the thinking man's exotic. Don't believe me? Jack her up and take the wheels off...fantastic. Take her to a track and have someone teach you how to drive it to even 7/10th of its abilities and it will amaze you.

Funny, some people recounted whe they first heard of the car. In undergrad, my roomate worked weekends washing and prepping cars in the local Acura showroom. One day he brought home a poster of the upcoming nsx concept and I loved what I saw: black, low, gorgeous. I kept that poster all through the university and post-grad years, had it rolled up in a storage poster tube until last week when I finally dug it out and had it framed:
hanson1.jpg

...and my baby (last summer...looks different now though...)
nsx01.jpg

:biggrin:

Nope. I was crazy and retarded before the NSX, still crazy and retarded after. And that was back in 1999 when I bought my NSX. :biggrin:

Life is too short not to have a few luxuries in life that make your heart beat faster.

Gosh I haven't got that feeling since the day I sold my x and got the s. :frown: It used to make my hear beat faster everytime I drive it. I need one back.

If the cars model is sold in the US, it can be done. There are lots of RHD Integra Type R around sountern California. The Skyline R32 and 33 are registered under 240SX, from what I understand. That is why R34 is having problem because they didn't have the 240SX in the states after 2000 (?).

Yes, it can be done but the magic word is... "illegally."

The R32's and R33's (pre-1996) that have been imported through Motorex are legal. They can be driven or sold like it was any normal car. But these so-called people/companies who say that they can legalize R32's to R34's nowadays are either misinformed or just straight lying to you.

Last edited:
I love this car.
When I started making decent money I promised myself a toy.

I feel EXACTLY the same way. Funny thing though...I actually felt guilty when I bought the car. It is alot of money, but I can afford it and pulled the proverbial trigger.

Then I felt guilty driving it to work. Alot of people see it as a symbol of wealth and as a "showy" item. Not the way I want people to see me. I drove it once to the office and that's pretty much it.

All that being said, on the 2nd night I owned it I took it for a evening drive along a mountain road and the experience was the closest thing to driving zen I've ever experienced. The sound of the engine, the road-hugging handling, the beautiful scenery. As the miles clipped past, the financial and worry aspects of the car just melted away.

Make no mistake about it...its a luxury item and I consider myself very fortunate to be the owner of my lifelong dream...but I do feel guilty putting miles on it.

Stephen

Yeah it's not a good car to take to work/client functions or family unless you want to be asked tons of questions and considered "showing off." That's too bad.

However, I think my attitude changed this weekend (after years of ownership) when I was sitting at a stoplight and I heard a voice say "what kind of car is that?" and I looked over and it was a woman in a mini-van probably in her late 60s. First time that has happened... it was awesome! She geniunely seemed interested in the car and I sure do love older women :tongue:

If the cars model is sold in the US, it can be done. There are lots of RHD Integra Type R around sountern California. The Skyline R32 and 33 are registered under 240SX, from what I understand. That is why R34 is having problem because they didn't have the 240SX in the states after 2000 (?).

Sure, thats called fraud and is illegal though. And if caught, your car is seized.
Just like changing VIN numbers....thats how they bust car thief rings.

Yes, lots of RHD integra's because they are CHEAP to buy ones with smashed up rears in Japan, then do the swap over here.

Yes, it can be done but the magic word is... "illegally."

The R32's and R33's (pre-1996) that have been imported through Motorex are legal. They can be driven or sold like it was any normal car. But these so-called people/companies who say that they can legalize R32's to R34's nowadays are either misinformed or just straight lying to you.

R34s can be legalized in most states. You just need to register it as a kit car, after which the state will issue a VIN. You can either insure it as a kit car through several providers or as a Skyline through Progressive.

R34s can be legalized in most states. You just need to register it as a kit car, after which the state will issue a VIN. You can either insure it as a kit car through several providers or as a Skyline through Progressive.

I worked very closely with a company that tried to legalize the 34's the right way. But, it pretty much ended due to time, money and drama.

If you're going that route (kit car), it is possible. I also see that you're from Arizona. I heard stories. :)

Anyways, it's been a while since I've driven an R34. I miss every bit of that car now.

I have always wanted to get one back when it first came out. I purchased my 2003 NSX-T from my college best friend who lived in Minnesota & drove it 3 months out of the year & has too much money (not enough time) to drive it. He shipped it to SF-Bay area with 11K miles in an enclosed truck because he felt that I would better treat his NSX.

Attitude change? I would have to say it has motivated me to get more technically educated to drive (actually own) a car like this...Especially in this experienced crowd of NSX techies...:biggrin:

BJX

Yes, my attitude changed a little. Basically, when I drive to a place (say the store, landmark, whatever) and get out of the car, I just feel better slipping out of the NSX as opposed to my sedan.

And when I walk back to the NSX in the parking lot, it's always a mini event - sort of something I look forward to. Somehow, this is a slight effect on my "attitude". I just feel blessed to be able to have this mind set when around the car.

And of course, any time I have the car out is just an occasion to run into some stranger with a smile on their face, taking pictures of the car or stopping to ask me questions. Naturally, I just blow it off by saying "it's just an old Honda", but still....makes my day every time. Just today, I'm walking to the car and some kids in there Integra are pulled up next to it taking cell phone photos and asking me if I own the NSX.

That's got to change your attitude just a little bit.:smile:

i have always thought the nsx was beyond my reach.
then in a 3 days series of enlightening search, i saw, contacted, & bought!
suddenly, it was there in my garage, and for the first week, i was just
letting everything slowly sink in. wow, what a feeling.
so in a sense, things changed, yet it didnt.
overall, im still the same ol' me.
i just dont drift anymore. especially not in this car.
but i definitely do get more attention tho...
good and bad. :cool:

My attitude didn't change at all. I've been the same overly-obsessed detail freak since I was a kid w/ my toy cars (Yes, I used to wax my toy cars when my dad was waxing his cars) and now I'm the same way w/ my real cars...well, maybe more w/ the NSX than the others. :biggrin:

Yes, I am now a certified badass :biggrin: JK

I do feel like the guy in the commercial who is closing his garage door and ends up lying down on the ground to get one last look before it closes :tongue:

Jonny

Back