Hawk HPS brake pads - WATCH OUT.....

Upon installing the Hawk HPS pads, I noticed in the rears that I had a heck of a time getting the piston pushed back far enough to get the pads to fit over the rotor. Finally did,and noticed that they were not seated square to the rotor.Pulled off the pad, and noticed that there is a "button" on the back of the pad, that the shim fits neatly over. This button sticks out so far that it was hitting the piston at the top of the piston, causing the pad to be skewed, and not fit flush against the rotor, and allowing only an edge of the pad to contact the rotor. No Pictures, but the pad to rotor contact looked kinda like "I/" due to the button. I ground it off, and everything went together perfectly. My worry is that based on the size of the button, it can and will fit inside one of the grooves in the rear piston, not allowing the brakes to adjust automatically like they should. Don't know if this would break something in the caliper or not, but thought I ought to post up anyway, as it could possibly be a safety issue. Maybe I got a bad batch of pads, and it was an easy fix, and hopefully no one else has had this problem, but I wanted to share. I was mainly concerned with those people who ran them that had no issues at all, as one side of mine went together right, and upon removal I found that the button was indeed inside the groove in the piston, and I never would have known. Hope this helps someone else...:)

Tom

yea that little "button" that is on the bottom backside of the pad is supposed to go into the slot on the caliper piston.

the piston screws in but does not screw out when there is pressure behind it.

I hope we are talking about the same thing.

Hmmm. You're probably right....I was under the assumption that since the piston screwed in, it had to screw out... So did I just ruin a set of rear pads?

Back