• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Headers & Exhaust

Finally stepped up and had my Taitec headers and Anytime Racing exhaust installed to go along with my Cantrell AIS.

For anyone considering doing this mod - be careful. I swear, it's like NASCAR. Don't get me wrong. I love it, but it's LOUD. There's absolutely no way you can get a feeling for it by the sound clips available on the web.

It's a little louder than stock at idle, and even a little deeper. When you open it up - approaching 5K - you definitely notice the car being louder in the cockpit - BUT when you're standing on the street watching it drive by, make sure your earplugs are in. It's BRUTAL.

NASCAR, I swear.

Do you think the Cantrell AIS does anything other than make noise?

Mine is no where near NASCAR just with the anytime..

did you remove the catalytic converters??
with comptech headers, anytime exhaust and no cats, my car was VERY loud.
reinstalling the cats brought it back down to acceptable levels... and gave me back some midrange power.

Do you think the Cantrell AIS does anything other than make noise?

The AIS definitely gives it a more aggressive sound. I was shocked with the sound of just the AIS and stock headers/exhaust. I'm not sure I felt any additional power, if there was any increase, it's probably only minimal.

Mine is no where near NASCAR just with the anytime..

Even at WOT? Do you have the stock headers?

supergreen125 said:
did you remove the catalytic converters??
with comptech headers, anytime exhaust and no cats, my car was VERY loud.
reinstalling the cats brought it back down to acceptable levels... and gave me back some midrange power.

I've got my cats in it. Can't even imagine the levels if I took the cats out.

What do you consider acceptable? I stick out like a sore thumb now, cuz it's brutally loud when I get on it.

It's funny, because if you look on the Science of Speed noise from exhaust comparison page - you see that the Anytime is 6.5. I can't even imagine what louder would be. 7.5, 8.5? Damn. That would be frightening.

I find the anytime to be just as loud as the taitec GT lightweight with a nicer musical note...

I am running stock headers and intake.. but I find it no where near nascar... however, i am never outside of the car.. it is pretty freaking loud though when I stood behind it while my friend was revving it..

Ummm...newsflash: you have a sportscar! They're supposed to be louder than an Accord, Taurus, Lumina, Camry <insert pedestrian every day car here>

Ponyboy said:
Ummm...newsflash: you have a sportscar! They're supposed to be louder than an Accord, Taurus, Lumina, Camry <insert pedestrian every day car here>

Shawn.. you got beat up a lot as a kid didn't you! :)

Hahaha...how did you know? ;) It pays to have a working knowledge of pugilism to back up semi-smart aleck wit or lack of it - depending on your POV.

Seriously, w/i reason, a sportscar is SUPPOSED to be loud. Or at the very least louder than an average "pedestrian" car. If you're looking for an exhaust, you've got to realize it's going to be louder and quite possibly more obnoxious than the stock setup.

I'd say rejoice that the car is deneutered and buzz away to your heart's content!

PS - I've got the Taitec GT Lightweight (the one that hurts NetViper's geriatric eardrums), Comptech headers, and NO cats. I also couldn't hear artillery from 5ft. away so take anything I say re: sound with a grain of salt. ;)

without the cats, it would be a solid 9.0.
not sure about where i would rate it with the cats on. i had a comptech exhaust before and the anytime is definitely louder... but that's what i was looking for. i am very happy with the amount of noise my car currently makes.
i would rate how happy i am with the anytime exahust at 10.0! (just wish it was a teency bit cheaper)

I'd say rejoice that the car is deneutered and buzz away to your heart's content!

Absolutely.

I knew I'd get louder, and that's what I wanted. I just guess I wasn't prepared for the WOT sound. Probably just being naive on my part.

Gettin' looks is one thing, but being a spectacle is another. Extra power AND stealth would have been great too. Unfortunately, those two things don't seem to go together. :(

Got to say, overall I'm very happy. The "seat of the pants dyno" sure seems to show a favorable increase in power. I've got the before dyno's on paper, and I'm dyin' to see what it's gonna look like after - I'll post the results - I should be doin' that in the next week or two.

i am very happy with the amount of noise my car currently makes.

I think it's just because it's so new, and I'm just not used to it, but I'm actually shifting a little earlier to keep the car a little more quiet. I hope that thought process wears off soon.

I know I'm gonna piss off all my neighbors with the 2am drive-by's.

supergreen125 said:
without the cats, it would be a solid 9.0.
not sure about where i would rate it with the cats on. i had a comptech exhaust before and the anytime is definitely louder... but that's what i was looking for. i am very happy with the amount of noise my car currently makes.
i would rate how happy i am with the anytime exahust at 10.0! (just wish it was a teency bit cheaper)

Are you runnin' headers? I'm right down the street (I think). I'd love to do a drive by comparison.

pimp42 said:
Are you runnin' headers? I'm right down the street (I think). I'd love to do a drive by comparison.
comptech headers.
i work in newport and live in aliso. feel free to send me a pm if you're close.

Try removing the Cantrell AIS and replace it with the factory intake if it's too loud for you. It's a quick 30 minute swap and worth trying.

I just removed mine to see what the car would sound like now that I've added an aftermarket exhaust (also have headers). It is definitely much quieter and smoother sounding.

If you are looking for LOUD and racey sounding, keep it in. If you want something a little quieter, try the stock.

Roadster

I was totally ok with the sound the Cantrell AIS made by itself (without the H&E) - sounded nice.

But, you're saying that the AIS is what's blowing the exhaust noise out of proportion?

Santa Margarita - we're all neighbors. Are you running headers and exhaust, and if so, what kind?

Thanks.

I too was happy with the AIS sound and headers (DC Sports). When I added the exhaust (Flowmaster), the car was downright loud. Almost too loud for me. Just as an experiment I popped the stock intake back in and the sound level is much lower. Now I can hear the exhaust and less of the deep growl the AIS made. I guess it's just a matter of personal taste on how loud you like your car.

Do you work near Irvine? Supergreen and I may try to meet for lunch on Thurs or Fri of this week.

Roadster

I'm tryin' to hook up with SuperGreen sometime this week (at night) since we're both in Aliso. I'd love to jump in and hear everything I can. Friday for lunch definitely works better for me than Thursday.

Where in Irvine you meetin'?

Roadster said:
Try removing the Cantrell AIS and replace it with the factory intake if it's too loud for you. It's a quick 30 minute swap and worth trying.

Roadster

If you're going back to stock intake, I'm interested in your AIS. Let me know. Thanks,

Back