• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Heading to the track for first time ever, any advice?

So on October 18th I'll be taking my NSX to Motorsport Ranch. It will be my first time to drive on a track. It will be the 3.1 configuration found here:

http://www.motorsportranch.com/3.1-road-course.cfm

Right now my NSX is stock (minus exhaust, intake, rear strut bar and weight reduction). I don't have much (if any money) to mod the car before track day (may get a set of coilovers).

I'd like any advice from anyone who wants to chime in, no mater how big or small. Anything to prepare me for a safer or faster trip around the track would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

I haven't had a chance to do the 3.1 config over there but nsxluvr has plenty of experience. Hit him up on a pm and I'm sure he can help you out.

We did two days there for NSXPO 2002. I ran my '96 completely stock (oem street tires, oem brake pads, etc, etc. - only switched to motul 600 for brake fluid). Don't worry about modding the car since stock worked just fine for me (my first track event was NSXPO 2001).

We did two days there for NSXPO 2002. I ran my '96 completely stock (oem street tires, oem brake pads, etc, etc. - only switched to motul 600 for brake fluid). Don't worry about modding the car since stock worked just fine for me (my first track event was NSXPO 2001).

yay! i switched to motul 600 also when I did my brake master about 2 months ago :)

No need to mod your car beyond the brake inspection and making sure the car has fresh fluids (brake and oil, most importantly).

I would suggest for you, bring drinks, sunscreen, and a baseball hat (the helmet will definitely mess your hair up, if applicable).

For the car, I would bring a few quarts of oil, spare brake fluid, spare brake pads if yours aren't brand new, windshield cleaner, paper towels, air pressure gauge, torque wrench if you have it, and an air compressor if you have it. But really don't worry about it. You're going to be very busy either on track, in class, talking to your instructor, with only a little time to check on the car during the day. Be sure to arrive a bit early and get those checks done before the day starts because you're probably going to be too busy otherwise.

Have fun, learn, and be safe.

I'm going with some BMW guys from AutoScope (from Dallas). At this point, I'm not sure if there will be any class time or instruction.

Also, any thoughts on my Dunlop Direza DZ101s?

What would a good pad be for track/street if I'm going to replace before track day?

would the 97+ brakes be a good idea for a cheap "upgrade?"

drilled and/or slotted rotors?

what helmet will I need?

Thanks so much everyone!!!

The NSX in its stock form is more than adequate to have an intense and fun experience on the track. Don't worry about performance modifications right now. Assuming they have a good amount of tread on them and there are no structural issues in the sidewalls or anything, there is nothing wrong with your tires.

I recommend bringing a spare set of pads if you can. Many people run Carbotech XPs on the track (usually XP8s for the NSX). That way, if you run out of pads (very unlikely if you have 5+mm), you can swap them and get back out there.

In my opinion, the cheapest bang for buck upgrade on braking (after Motul of course) is better cooling, specifically dedicated ducts to the front rotors. It is not necessary for you at this time. Most people who track don't like drilled or slotted rotors, as they crack quicker and rotors are a consumable. Your blanks are fine.

Helmet is very important. The best thing to know is don't buy a brand, buy a fit. As long as they are Snell SA rated (not sure if the 2010's are out yet), they will be equal in safety. What you want is a tight fit that won't be too tight and one that will fit your face and head the best. You should find a local race shop and try them on for an extended period of time (15 mins or so) to see how they feel. You should also ask their advice... usually they give good advice and don't try to upsell you.

Easy:

Car prep - fresh brake fluid, ensure you have enough brake pad left, and ask your instructor what a good tire pressure to start with (you'll likely want to go a little bit higher than you run on the street). Beyond that, don't worry too much.

Driving - You might be a bit overwhelmed. There is a lot going on and a lot to learn on your first day. Here's a simple list to focus on:

1. Eyes - Keep your eyes down the track, around the corners. This is the single most important thing you can learn your first day to have the rest of the techniques fall into place. If you have an instructor, have him/her tell you where you should be looking. It's a lot further ahead than you think. In the middle of the straight you're looking for the brake markers. As you are on the brakes, your are looking for your turn-in point. As you slow, you are looking for the apex. As you approach the apex, you're looking for the track-out point. (These terms should be covered in the classroom session).

2. Concentrate on line first, speed later. Your instructor should be telling you optimal line.

3. Know where the corner stands are. Corner workers are your friends and it could be tragic if you miss a yellow flag or a debris flag if you don't know where they are and actively look for them as you go around the track.

4. Brake in a straight line, always, until you have a few track days under your belt and can handle trailing throttle oversteer. Try to brake early enough in the braking zones so that you can be rolling back onto the throttle as you turn in and end up with understeer, rather than braking too late and having to deal with oversteer.

Concentrate only on these things your first day, especially training your eyes to be as far "ahead" as possible.

And HAVE FUN, DON'T STRESS OUT, and stay within YOUR OWN limits, disregarding how fast everyone else might be going (as long as you're following the passing / point-by rules).

Hope this helps.

I agree with most of the above.

-Fresh fluids (brake fluid & oil)

-Decent pads (Hawk HP+ works well for street & track from my experience)

-A caliper/rotor upgrade isn't really necessary. The pads will make the most significant improvement in braking performance (up to the limit of the tires). If you do eventually upgrade, slotted rotors or blanks (no slots or holes) will be better. Cross-drilling tends to promote cracking.

-The DZ101s should put up with the abuse. You probably won't be setting any records your first time out, so overall grip won't matter as much. Just be sure and check the pressures between sessions. I think the general consensus is somewhere in the ~34-36lbs range all-around is preferable vs. the factory 33f 40r.

-No need for other mods really. A bone stock NSX is pretty capable on a track and you'll have plenty of fun. Tracking it stock will also give you a much better idea of where you might want to make changes and where you don't.

-You should check with the event organizer to see what type of helmet is required. Many places will let you get away with an M(motorcycle) helmet, but some may require an SA (car-specific) helmet with a current Snell/FIA rating. If you don't mind paying a little more, just go ahead and get a current SA helmet as they have the fire protection that an M helmet does not.

-Aside from that, take it easy until you figure things out. dquarasr2 had good driving advice. The only thing I'd add from a car perspective is to be sure to check your gauges ever so often on the straights (mainly oil pressure and temperature).

-Even if there are no official instructors, if any of the folks you're going with are pretty experienced it would not be a bad idea to ask them to ride along for your first session to help learn the track, or ride along with one of them before you go out.

Last edited:
read my link...personaly knowing what I know now I would not not do an open unsupervised track day without an instructer in the car for my very first day.Maybe a few laps driving behind an instructer sorta lead follow stuff but that would be it....

thanks so much for everyone's advice. quick question, why bring oil? my car has never burned oil in the past, any reason that it might on track day? hope not.

also, AutoScope has a driving simulator that has the Motorsport Ranch as one of the courses, so maybe I'll try and get up there and spend a few minutes on the simulator to "learn" the course.

any idea where in Dallas I could go to look at Snell helmets?

Your car may well burn oil when you're on the track, even if it doesn't on the street. The way you drive on the track is altogether different than the way you drive on the street. Keep in mind, you're doing to be 6-8k RPMs for 20-25 minutes with a lot of the time at WOT. I suspect that is not how you drive on the street. Bringing a few quarts is cheap insurance in the event you do burn some oil, you can keep all parts of the engine perfectly within the design specs which is very important when you're making very severe demands on it.

Driving on the track is like re-learning how to drive, except much more intense than the first time you learned how to drive. I strongly agree with docjohn's advice about making sure you have an instructor (and the other novices do as well). You'll learn a tremendous amount more than going solo, and it is also important becuase sometimes it is even MORE important that the other newbie on the track has an instructor. At my last event, even though I was cleared for solo, I still brought my instructor with me for almost every session because I learn more that way.

Last edited:
Easy:

Car prep - fresh brake fluid, ensure you have enough brake pad left, and ask your instructor what a good tire pressure to start with (you'll likely want to go a little bit higher than you run on the street). Beyond that, don't worry too much.

Driving - You might be a bit overwhelmed. There is a lot going on and a lot to learn on your first day. Here's a simple list to focus on:

1. Eyes - Keep your eyes down the track, around the corners. This is the single most important thing you can learn your first day to have the rest of the techniques fall into place. If you have an instructor, have him/her tell you where you should be looking. It's a lot further ahead than you think. In the middle of the straight you're looking for the brake markers. As you are on the brakes, your are looking for your turn-in point. As you slow, you are looking for the apex. As you approach the apex, you're looking for the track-out point. (These terms should be covered in the classroom session).

2. Concentrate on line first, speed later. Your instructor should be telling you optimal line.

3. Know where the corner stands are. Corner workers are your friends and it could be tragic if you miss a yellow flag or a debris flag if you don't know where they are and actively look for them as you go around the track.

4. Brake in a straight line, always, until you have a few track days under your belt and can handle trailing throttle oversteer. Try to brake early enough in the braking zones so that you can be rolling back onto the throttle as you turn in and end up with understeer, rather than braking too late and having to deal with oversteer.

Concentrate only on these things your first day, especially training your eyes to be as far "ahead" as possible.

And HAVE FUN, DON'T STRESS OUT, and stay within YOUR OWN limits, disregarding how fast everyone else might be going (as long as you're following the passing / point-by rules).

Hope this helps.

Absolutely spot on! Especially knowing where corner workers are. That is a step not stressed by many when giving advice so I am glad you did!

Please call your insurance and make sure you are covered if something happens at the RACE TRACK. If you aren't covered, don't even think about going to a race track and race around. I didn't call and my car was totaled. I fought with my insurance company for 6 months before I could get my claim settled. It took me hiring an attorney to get them to either deny or cover me during my accident on a RACE TRACK.

Please call your insurance and make sure you are covered if something happens at the RACE TRACK. If you aren't covered, don't even think about going to a race track and race around. I didn't call and my car was totaled. I fought with my insurance company for 6 months before I could get my claim settled. It took me hiring an attorney to get them to either deny or cover me during my accident on a RACE TRACK.

I have Geico and I called them and asked. She said they wouldn't cover it "because the policy isn't written for that, its for personal use, driving to and from work, leisure..." I asked her if she could tell me where in my policy it excluded such driving and she said it didn't. She then said "I'm not saying we would deny the claim, but if we covered it, we wouldn't renew your policy."

So in short, my policy does NOT exclude track driving or competitive driving. But it doesn't say that it will be covered. I do have full coverage though, comprehensive, collision, etc...

Absolutely spot on! Especially knowing where corner workers are. That is a step not stressed by many when giving advice so I am glad you did!

Thanks. I instruct with Chin Motorsports, and in the morning warm-up session (standing yellow flag the whole 1/2 hour), we obviously cover which way the track goes for the newbies, and point out the corner stands. The first couple of laps I point out each corner stand as we go by it, and the next few laps I have the student point them out to me.

Slight correction: I had said to brake in a straight line, avoiding trailing throttle oversteer. I meant trailing braking oversteer.

And another comment about eyes: Even after you concentrate on looking ahead, toward the end of sessions, or in the afternoon sessions you WILL find yourself with tunnel vision in the braking zones, focused in on the turn-in point. It is SO EASY to stop looking ahead. I've been autocrossing and tracking for 20 years and I still find my mind wandering, especially in the afternoon sessions, and toward the end of any session.

Let us know how it turns out!

Call the underwriter, not the agent. They will know for sure what exclusions are in the policy. If you are excluded and you already called them, then you should get a one day binder covering your car for any mishaps from an outside source.
My policy did not say "you are not covered if you are on a race track", but it did state that I could not be in timed event, preparing for a timed event and or a speed contest. Mighty grey wording to say the least.
John

My policy did not say "you are not covered if you are on a race track", but it did state that I could not be in timed event, preparing for a timed event and or a speed contest. Mighty grey wording to say the least.
John

That's not grey at all. HPDEs do not fall under any of those three - you are not timed, you are not preparing for a timed event and there is no contest. State Farm this year changed the same wording above to no coverage on any race track.

Last edited:
I would say get the day insurance and not leave it up to your current provider. Might be a little spendy at times, but for me, the piece of mind is completely worth it.

Any idea where to get single day coverage? Average cost per day?

That's not grey at all. HPDEs do not fall under any of those three - you are not timed, you are not preparing for a timed event and there is no contest. State Farm this year changed the same wording above to no coverage on any race track.

Grey, heck yes. Even my lawyer commented about how easy it would be to prove that I was being timed and or involved in a speed contest. Find someone who was present during the HPDE state that they saw a transponder and emitter at the track and that I had one in my car on that day? Clearly possible.
How do you determine what a speed contest is? Us at the race track?
Everyone knows that we all go to HPDE's to go as fast as we feel like, there is no denying that :biggrin:

Back