• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Health Reform Bill.........

And in the process helped eliminate the profit of a student loan organization that now will have to lay of 25000 people. Profit is not evil, no matter how many imes you're told it is. Companies have to make profit to survive and hire workers. It seems to me that this administation is doing wvryrhing it can to eliminate jobs not create them.

Yeah, and when you factor in the unemployment benefits for all those lost jobs I wonder what the real savings will have been.

Of course, it will become a moot point once Obama provide free college for all.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2007/11/19/obama-expected-to-propose_n_73284.html

Actualy many of those same "loan" companies will just do contract work for the government....that is big governments plan...get as many contracters/votors on the tax payrole.....

It seems to me that this administation is doing wvryrhing it can to eliminate jobs not create them.

Agreed.

I don't think any administration has been as anti-business as this one.

The tone this administration takes toward business, big or small, is troubling.

Business employs people, keeps the economy going and pays the majority of taxes in this country.

If I hear another word about a "fat cat banker" I think I might puke.

And wrong choice booting the private sector out of student loan origination. Reduces competition, decreases efficiency and will probably cost the taxpayers money since the government can't run anything right. Who loses the most in this? That's right, the students themselves. I can't wait for them to have to wait on hold for an hour when they have a simple question about their loan.

Last edited:
Sounds like the overwhelming majority of posters on this thread are opposed to the healthcare bill.

What SPECIFIC provisions of the the bill do you oppose?

Are there ANY positive provisions in the bill?

There are definite positives to this bill. Primarily, if you have a pre-existing condition you will now be able to get insurance. Previously people were in a position where if you had a serious, chronic condition you were in trouble. If you did not have insurance at the time of diagnosis you would never be able to get it. If you had insurance you may have been dropped or your premiums raised to levels that you could not afford. Finally, if you had insurance through your employer (like most Americans) you would most likely have to remain employed with your current company or risk losing coverage if you switched companies.

Ultimately government assistance programs, be they health care or other, boil down to one basic issue. There are people in our country who need help. Some are honest, hard working people who have been unfortunate or have had a run of bad luck. Others are like those that Steve and others have described; deadbeat, drug users, etc. We as a nation have to make a choice. Do we put in place assistant programs that help the honest, hard workers who need help, knowing that there will be people able to abuse the system? Or do we refuse to help those people because we know abuses are inherent. That is the crux of all social assistance programs. There will always be good people who need help, and bad people who cheat the system. We could go to one extreme or the other (help everyone or help no one), but generally most people don't like those two extremes. So we are left to try and design a system that helps the most, while leaving little room for the abusers.

Personally, I feel the republican party of the last 8-10 years has been unwilling to do anything, be it create new programs, reform existing ones, whatever. Something needed to be done.
I applaud the democrats for at least trying to improve things. I feel (and you may disagree) that they even tried to incorporate the republicans into the process, but the republicans refused. Do I like what they came up with? Meh. As others have said it does little to control costs, but as i pointed out above, it does have good points. It also has terrible points (i.e. taxing "cadillac" health plans).
I work in pharmacy (pharmacy student at the moment) and from what I have seen, the government plans (medicare, medicaid, and VA) do a decent job of controlling costs, at least on pharmaceuticals.
As a side rant, patients & providers need to be more aware of costs and think about how their actions effect the entire system. For example, there is an brand name acne medication Solodyn that costs roughly $400 per month. Minocycline is the exact same drug and costs $10-20 per month. Whats the difference? Solodyn is a delayed release drug that only requires you to take it once a day, where as minocycline has to be taken twice a day. Sure, compliance is important but its when patients and providers refuse to switch that costs get jacked.
Similarly, Nexium (several hundred bucks a month) is the same drug as Prilosec (available OTC). Prilosec is just a racemic mixture and some chemist at GSK figured out how to extract/synthesize the active enantiomer, which is nexium. Yet, people insist on nexium, thus driving everyone's health care costs up.
I would be ecstatic if the gov instituted a restricted formulary. They already do in the VA (which is very restrictive and keeps costs way down).

Sorry for the long post when i virtually never post, but this is something I will be dealing with through out my career and I feel strongly about it. My basic points are that I feel reform is needed, I support assistance programs but feel they need to be tightly monitored, have little tolerance for politicians who are obstructionist and refuse to address problems, and savings can be realized at all levels of health care including insurance companies, pharmaceutical companies, doctors, and patients (except pharmacists. we could use a raise. NSXs don't buy themselves:biggrin:)

dcj,

I suppose it's all dependent on your point of view. While I was never a huge fan of GWB, he did make a number of health care initiatives. So your comment about being unwilling to do anything is just not borne out by the facts.

1. He made a huge push to combat AIDS, malaria and TB worldwide.

2. He pushed through a very expensive Medicare prescription drug program that while it had some flaws reduced the number of of senior citizens without drugs from 33 to 8 percent.

3. He granted the state of MA a waiver to start their universal health plan coverage. Yes, that was GWB who did that.

4. He doubled funding for community health care centers.

These were all solid accomplishments that get brushed under the rug by critics and haters of GWB.

As far as your opinion that the Republicans refusing to work with Obama I'd strongly disagree as well.

There were many times where Republican calls for Tort reform and inter-state competition were dismissed out of hand. There were numerous Republican and more importantly conservative plans that just were flat out ignored. But please don't take my word for this, please visit...

http://www.heritage.org/Initiatives/Health-Care

Welcome aboard, by the way!

Last edited:
Personally, I feel the republican party of the last 8-10 years has been unwilling to do anything, be it create new programs, reform existing ones, whatever. Something needed to be done.
I applaud the democrats for at least trying to improve things. I feel (and you may disagree) that they even tried to incorporate the republicans into the process, but the republicans refused.

i said the exact same thing and was accused of being a 'liberal' (gosh:eek:, lol) and gloating.
while my stance on insurance companies' profits was slightly biased, the pharmaceutical business in ripe with excessive overcharging and active, some say illegal, influence on medical organizations to use and prescribe 'brand name' drugs instead of 'generics'. generic means not 'lower quality' or 'bad', it means simply not covered by a patent anymore. drug companies take an existing medication, change formula in minor fashion, patents it again and voila, new 'brand name' drug that we see on tv and everyone pushes for. nobody mentiones that there may be several 'generics' with same application. thats fleecing the system.

Sounds like the overwhelming majority of posters on this thread are opposed to the healthcare bill.

What SPECIFIC provisions of the the bill do you oppose?

Are there ANY positive provisions in the bill?

+1. Yes, Insurance companies cannot deny pre-existing conditions. I oppose to this stupid and waste of money

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/03/31/abstinence.education/index.html?hpt=T2

The people on Prime are more interested talking politics than cars. There are nothing much to talk about cars.

I would like to see there is a politics section.

Last edited:
I have yet to hear a good solution to the pre-existing condition problem.

That is...

How do you prevent people from not buying insurance and paying the modest fine (which is much less than insurance) and wait until they're in a car accident or get cancer?

There are definite positives to this bill. Primarily, if you have a pre-existing condition you will now be able to get insurance. Previously people were in a position where if you had a serious, chronic condition you were in trouble. If you did not have insurance at the time of diagnosis you would never be able to get it.

I have a slight problem with this however... it's kinda like buying a warranty for your car once you find out you have a major engine issue. "Hey my NSX needs a new $15k engine... good thing I can buy this insurance for $650 and have them pay for it... then I can go back to not having any!"

There's no way you can stay solvent if you start handing out insurance to seriously ill people. The cost is just way too high.

These people need to be paying from day one like everyone else... but I guess that won't matter now.

I'd prefer to see people who take care of themselves be rewarded for keeping health care costs lower than rewarding people with healthcare who basically never gave a damn. (obviously healthy people get sick too, but lets face it... there are those who eat McDonalds daily, sit on their arse all day and smoke a pack of cigs who will now get a free healthcare ride when their diabetes acts up).

-(Not saying there shouldn't be a solution, again, just not sure this is a good one)

I have a slight problem with this however... it's kinda like buying a warranty for your car once you find out you have a major engine issue. "Hey my NSX needs a new $15k engine... good thing I can buy this insurance for $650 and have them pay for it... then I can go back to not having any!"

There's no way you can stay solvent if you start handing out insurance to seriously ill people. The cost is just way too high.

These people need to be paying from day one like everyone else... but I guess that won't matter now.

I'd prefer to see people who take care of themselves be rewarded for keeping health care costs lower than rewarding people with healthcare who basically never gave a damn. (obviously healthy people get sick too, but lets face it... there are those who eat McDonalds daily, sit on their arse all day and smoke a pack of cigs who will now get a free healthcare ride when their diabetes acts up).

-(Not saying there shouldn't be a solution, again, just not sure this is a good one)

This is not always the case. Some people have had insurance and insurance companies drop them after they found out that they have cancer or other severe medical conditions; or they have to switch the insurance after changing their jobs.

This why the gov't force everyone (from theyoung to the old) to have insurance before the catastrophe and insurance would not lose the money

Last edited:
+1. Yes, Insurance companies cannot deny pre-existing conditions. I oppose to this stupid and waste of money

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/03/31/abstinence.education/index.html?hpt=T2

The people on Prime are more interested talking politics than cars. There are nothing much to talk about cars.

I would like to see there is a politics sections.

So it would appear we are in agreement that this 2700 page, trillion dollar bill has one redeming quality that in itself is somewhat questionable. Sweet!

This why the gov't force everyone (from theyoung to the old) to have insurance before the catastrophe and insurance would not lose the money.

They can't force everyone to have insurance. If they could they wouldn't need the fines and all those new IRS agents to enforce the plan. For many it would be cheaper to pay the fines. Also, there's some valid constitutional concerns whether or not the gov't can force anyone to buy something they don't want.

oh come on, they simply took out the bank as a middleman and lend straight to the students- nothing wrong with that, if anything it decreased the burocracy.

I've not posted anything until now but... the logic behind this statement confuses me beyond words?

How does putting the federal govt. in charge of anything reduce bureaucracy? Isn't bureaucracy by it's very definition government?

Also, why would you assume that the govt. is a more efficient method to lend money? I can't think of a single govt. run program (post office, Amtrak, etc.) that isn't f*d up beyond words. Moreover, why would you assume that the govt. can identify or mitigate risk? I'm the first one to blame greed as a huge contributor to the real estate fiasco but the truth is that govt. mandates had a hand in it. We can argue all day long about how big the hand was/is but it existed and still exists.

In addition, why do you assume that we need to make student loans easier to obtain or more affordable? College education is not a right. Moreover, I STRONGLY believe that the overwhelming majority of people who want to get a college education and deserve a college education are, in fact, getting a college education. At the risk of being crass, the world needs ditch diggers too. It's not that I look down on ditch diggers but we might all be created equal... but we don't end up that way. That's life.

I was not a big fan of Bush II for many reasons. But this legislation is a steaming pile of shit that my children's children will be forced to choke on long after I'm gone.

Steve,

Yes. I was thinking of that quote too. It's that bit-by-bit creeping loss that happens over a period of time. But taken individually like the student loans, heck it doesn't seem all that bad, does it?

If you try and eat an elephant in one bite you'll choke.

There are definite positives to this bill. Primarily, if you have a pre-existing condition you will now be able to get insurance. Previously people were in a position where if you had a serious, chronic condition you were in trouble. If you did not have insurance at the time of diagnosis you would never be able to get it. If you had insurance you may have been dropped or your premiums raised to levels that you could not afford. Finally, if you had insurance through your employer (like most Americans) you would most likely have to remain employed with your current company or risk losing coverage if you switched companies.

Ultimately government assistance programs, be they health care or other, boil down to one basic issue. There are people in our country who need help. Some are honest, hard working people who have been unfortunate or have had a run of bad luck. Others are like those that Steve and others have described; deadbeat, drug users, etc. We as a nation have to make a choice. Do we put in place assistant programs that help the honest, hard workers who need help, knowing that there will be people able to abuse the system? Or do we refuse to help those people because we know abuses are inherent. That is the crux of all social assistance programs. There will always be good people who need help, and bad people who cheat the system. We could go to one extreme or the other (help everyone or help no one), but generally most people don't like those two extremes. So we are left to try and design a system that helps the most, while leaving little room for the abusers.

I applaud the democrats for at least trying to improve things. I feel (and you may disagree) that they even tried to incorporate the republicans into the process, but the republicans refused. Do I like what they came up with? Meh. As others have said it does little to control costs, but as i pointed out above, it does have good points. It also has terrible points (i.e. taxing "cadillac" health plans).
I work in pharmacy (pharmacy student at the moment) and from what I have seen, the government plans (medicare, medicaid, and VA) do a decent job of controlling costs, at least on pharmaceuticals.
As a side rant, patients & providers need to be more aware of costs and think about how their actions effect the entire system. For example, there is an brand name acne medication Solodyn that costs roughly $400 per month. Minocycline is the exact same drug and costs $10-20 per month. Whats the difference? Solodyn is a delayed release drug that only requires you to take it once a day, where as minocycline has to be taken twice a day. Sure, compliance is important but its when patients and providers refuse to switch that costs get jacked.
Similarly, Nexium (several hundred bucks a month) is the same drug as Prilosec (available OTC). Prilosec is just a racemic mixture and some chemist at GSK figured out how to extract/synthesize the active enantiomer, which is nexium. Yet, people insist on nexium, thus driving everyone's health care costs up.
I would be ecstatic if the gov instituted a restricted formulary. They already do in the VA (which is very restrictive and keeps costs way down).

Sorry for the long post when i virtually never post, but this is something I will be dealing with through out my career and I feel strongly about it. My basic points are that I feel reform is needed, I support assistance programs but feel they need to be tightly monitored, have little tolerance for politicians who are obstructionist and refuse to address problems, and savings can be realized at all levels of health care including insurance companies, pharmaceutical companies, doctors, and patients (except pharmacists. we could use a raise. NSXs don't buy themselves:biggrin:)

Awesome first post, welcome aboard.

Been busy at work and spending much time organizing NSXPO 2010. Hope to see all of you in Vegas in October (sahtt- your ride is waiting:wink:). Looks like a continuation of the election, with neither side changing their view- me included. Numbers that mean a lot to me:

$5,800 (annual premium for family in 1999)
$13,000 (annual premium for family in 2009)
$24,200 (annual premium for family in 2019 projected)
17% (% of GDP in 2009)
21% (% of GDP in 2019 projected)
Healthcare is outpacing wages and inflation, plain and simple. Tort reform (needed) and interstate insurance purchasing will help but is a far far cry from the answer to reign in costs (show me one really cheap insurance policy-if so, why isn't it that the only policy available in that state by now).

Finally, as bad as you all think government run entities are, think about this: what would the premiums be like if there was no Medicare? The worst group to insure is now part of the general risk pool. Also, ever heard of X% medicare rates? That's what insurance companies reimburse physicians/hospitals etc.for their services. Without Medicare anchoring those rates, I'm sure my reimbursements will be higher.

USPS? What do you think FedEx/ UPS/ etc. will charge for delivering a letter? These companies make their money in niche services (same with health insurance companies) without the burdens of being responsible for the really ugly work of daily home delivery(in health care lingo: elderly- medicare and preexisting/ uninsured-medicaid).

Maybe we can come up with something constructive here on Prime. If so, we would be much better off than the rest of the country.

Regards to all,

Danny

Awesome first post, welcome aboard.

Although I agree with your welcoming sentiments, I do not agree with that post at all.

Bush II attemped a great many regulations that folks never seem to want to talk about- amongst them: Privatizing Social Security, and Regulating Fannie and Freddie, two of the biggest Government Bailout Recipients and two agencies that had a rather daunting role in the housing crisis.

Bush also had a strong hand in a great many healthcare initiatives, but most have already been listed and I don't need to expound.

Long story short....

I'm sick to death of people blaming Bush for all the problems that the country now faces. The fact is he was a Republican president facing a democratic leaning congress. That's why he couldn't get shit done, period point blank.

This thread is about the healthcare bill....not about republicans and democrats.

The healthcare bill is misguided, overpriced and just plain sucks....and that's all there is to that.

EVERYONE....and I MEAN everyone, 90% of this country, excepting people WHO DON'T PAY FOR THEIR HEALTHCARE CURRENTLY, will be worse off because of this bill and that is fact.

Good luck.

i said the exact same thing and was accused of being a 'liberal' (gosh:eek:, lol) and gloating.
while my stance on insurance companies' profits was slightly biased, the pharmaceutical business in ripe with excessive overcharging and active, some say illegal, influence on medical organizations to use and prescribe 'brand name' drugs instead of 'generics'. generic means not 'lower quality' or 'bad', it means simply not covered by a patent anymore. drug companies take an existing medication, change formula in minor fashion, patents it again and voila, new 'brand name' drug that we see on tv and everyone pushes for. nobody mentiones that there may be several 'generics' with same application. thats fleecing the system.

Here's an idea, Skippy.

Ask for generics when you're in the hospital or pharmacy.

I do it. It's not tough.

If you're involved in an emergency situation and you can't request generics, negotiate with the hospital when you're billed....they'll work with you.

Oh, but that would require critical thinking and a bit of work, silly me. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Been busy at work and spending much time organizing NSXPO 2010. Hope to see all of you in Vegas in October (sahtt- your ride is waiting:wink:). Looks like a continuation of the election, with neither side changing their view- me included. Numbers that mean a lot to me:

$5,800 (annual premium for family in 1999)
$13,000 (annual premium for family in 2009)
$24,200 (annual premium for family in 2019 projected)
17% (% of GDP in 2009)
21% (% of GDP in 2019 projected)
Healthcare is outpacing wages and inflation, plain and simple. Tort reform (needed) and interstate insurance purchasing will help but is a far far cry from the answer to reign in costs (show me one really cheap insurance policy-if so, why isn't it that the only policy available in that state by now).

Finally, as bad as you all think government run entities are, think about this: what would the premiums be like if there was no Medicare? The worst group to insure is now part of the general risk pool. Also, ever heard of X% medicare rates? That's what insurance companies reimburse physicians/hospitals etc.for their services. Without Medicare anchoring those rates, I'm sure my reimbursements will be higher.

USPS? What do you think FedEx/ UPS/ etc. will charge for delivering a letter? These companies make their money in niche services (same with health insurance companies) without the burdens of being responsible for the really ugly work of daily home delivery(in health care lingo: elderly- medicare and preexisting/ uninsured-medicaid).

Maybe we can come up with something constructive here on Prime. If so, we would be much better off than the rest of the country.

Regards to all,

Danny

Danny,

In addition to Tort Reform, inter-state competition there are numerous other things that would help. Most were covered in the Heritage.org link I made.

For example, doctors perform so much defensive medicine because of the fear of predatory litigation. I know this is also tied to Tort Reform but it also highlights a huge cost saving. If you don't think this is huge, just look in the Yellow Pages under Lawyers.

And just because Medicare is anchoring those rates doesn't mean you'll be able to get the service. Already we've seen Doctors and Drug stores refusing to take new Medicare patients.

Another thing to consider, health insurance can only rise so much before people simply can't afford it and stop paying.

Nothing will really change until the consumer is really involved and has a stake in the purchase of the service. Right now people don't really care if their hospital stay or drug was $200 or $2,000 because they don't have any skin in the game. Therefore it becomes a game of third-party reimbursement.

Perhaps part of the answer is Health Care Savings accounts but unless the consumer is involved with the purchase not too much will change and health care costs will continue to spiral UNTIL a significant percentage says, screw it.

Last edited:
Although I agree with your welcoming sentiments, I do not agree with that post at all.

Bush II attemped a great many regulations that folks never seem to want to talk about- amongst them: Privatizing Social Security, and Regulating Fannie and Freddie, two of the biggest Government Bailout Recipients and two agencies that had a rather daunting role in the housing crisis.

Bush also had a strong hand in a great many healthcare initiatives, but most have already been listed and I don't need to expound.

Long story short....

I'm sick to death of people blaming Bush for all the problems that the country now faces. The fact is he was a Republican president facing a democratic leaning congress. That's why he couldn't get shit done, period point blank.

This thread is about the healthcare bill....not about republicans and democrats.

The healthcare bill is misguided, overpriced and just plain sucks....and that's all there is to that.

EVERYONE....and I MEAN everyone, 90% of this country, excepting people WHO DON'T PAY FOR THEIR HEALTHCARE CURRENTLY, will be worse off because of this bill and that is fact.

Good luck.

Oh I didn't mean I agreed with him it was just well written and I respect that.

They can't force everyone to have insurance. If they could they wouldn't need the fines and all those new IRS agents to enforce the plan. For many it would be cheaper to pay the fines. Also, there's some valid constitutional concerns whether or not the gov't can force anyone to buy something they don't want.

I heard about the constitutional rights, but CA state requires every driver to have car insurance otherwise they won't renew your car license. Is this also a constitutional right?

Back to the basic question: Is it a right or privilege of all US citizens to have health care?

gov't doesn't run anything right?

The Department of Defense:
Air Force
Army
Navy
Marines
Cost Guard

The Department of Energy
--all the research labs -- federal contractors do the work but it is managed and overseen tightly by the federal government

NSA
nuff said

FBI

CIA

All of these things are run by the federal government. As someone who has worked in the DOD and now the DOE...you should thank god that those organization are here.

It's hard work putting together the regulations (and enforcing them) that keep you people safe. If it was up to the free market you guys would be in a world of hurt --- because it would be not be profitable to care about you or to give a damn. I can't count how many times my teams have had to come in and clean up the mess from outsource contracts --- who live in the USA (and should care out it) but nickel and dime everything plus provide subpar work and lie about deliverables and live to find senior people they can snow and sell bs to.

dcj,

I suppose it's all dependent on your point of view. While I was never a huge fan of GWB, he did make a number of health care initiatives. So your comment about being unwilling to do anything is just not borne out by the facts.

1. He made a huge push to combat AIDS, malaria and TB worldwide.

2. He pushed through a very expensive Medicare prescription drug program that while it had some flaws reduced the number of of senior citizens without drugs from 33 to 8 percent.

3. He granted the state of MA a waiver to start their universal health plan coverage. Yes, that was GWB who did that.

4. He doubled funding for community health care centers.

These were all solid accomplishments that get brushed under the rug by critics and haters of GWB.

As far as your opinion that the Republicans refusing to work with Obama I'd strongly disagree as well.

There were many times where Republican calls for Tort reform and inter-state competition were dismissed out of hand. There were numerous Republican and more importantly conservative plans that just were flat out ignored. But please don't take my word for this, please visit...

http://www.heritage.org/Initiatives/Health-Care

Welcome aboard, by the way!

Hi everyone and thanks for the welcome. I agree with you on some of the points. GWB2 did do a TON for HIV, TB, and Malaria worldwide. Those are truly noble causes, but they do not have a lot of bearing on US healthcare, at least not directly.
I will address medicare part D below.
I am not totally aware of the situation in Mass, but I know he did increase funding for community health centers. Those are both great things that Bush did. Absolutely.
I also agree that the Republicans wanted to open inter-state markets, which makes sense to me as well. I know that some democrats backed that idea as well, and something similar is being implemented in the form of the insurance exchanges, but I believe (although far from certain) those are going to be open only to people on government run plans. This is far from ideal, but a step in the right direction, which was apparently begun by republicans.
I will acknowledge that saying the Republicans have done nothing was too harsh, and I apologize. However, I still feel that many members of the party were putting party ahead of country because they were trying to make healthcare Obama's "waterloo" in an effort to regain control. Some might argue that the dems forced the bill into law to score a victory for the party, possibly at the expense of the country. I couldn't really argue against that, but I don't entirely agree. I think they were acting with the best of intentions, and dems, and Obama in particular (for obvious political reasons), wanted more bipartisan support. I believe for some republicans their opposition was more political posturing than true opposition, but that is just a gut feeling. To be honest, I have not been able to follow things as closely this past year as I would have liked because my study schedule has been pretty intense.

As for Medicare Part D it is the bane of the pharmacist. This is a program that exemplifies whats wrong with government run programs. Best of intentions, completely confusing, and ultimately ineffective. The plan was to cover prescription benefits for seniors, and it does. Where the problem went awry was that they put in a doughnut hole. The doughnut hole basically occurs when a senior spends X-dollars on prescription drugs, at which point they have to start paying out of pocket, until they reach Y-amount, at which point the government resumes paying. The problem is that seniors (or really most patients) have NO IDEA how much things actually cost. So what happens is seniors get their meds, brand drugs and all, and then suddenly in September, October, or whenever, they hit the doughnut hole and are suddenly slammed with the full brunt of their medication cost. Yet their friends & neighbors never reached the doughnut hole so they see the system as unequal. The way the program is designed it can be very difficult for someone not in the know (aka seniors) to determine when or if a person will reach the doughnut hole, and what their costs may be on a monthly basis at that point.

The doughnut hole was instituted with good intentions. Studies have found that if a medication is provided at no charge, it is perceived to have no value. By sharing the cost of the medication, it was supposed to be deemed more valuable (which increases adherence) and encourage a person to work to reduce their costs. Unfortunately, the hole was designed to only affect 20% of people on medicare, and the implementation meant that in many cases the end of the year was insight, so patients would forgo their meds until the new year, when the slate was wiped clean.

IMO, pharmacists should sit down with patients at the beginning of the year with a list of their meds, and say "in X-month you will reach the doughnut hole. Currently, we can switch drugs A and B to generics, and drug C to another drug in the same therapeutic class that is on formulary, thereby reducing your monthly costs, which will push your entry into the doughnut hole back to Y (or avoid it all together)". The problem is no one will pay for this. Not the government or private insurance. This is a really easy way to reduce costs, but pharmacists can't do it for free because the reimbursement on a prescription is tiny, so they have to push prescriptions out just to get by. If the payers (be they government or insurance) would get creative and utilize things like pharmacists doing medication analysis and review, then healthcare costs could plummet. I am sure there are many things doctors and nurses could do as well, but I am less familiar with them.
All of this is moot because the doughnut hole was removed in the new law, but it illustrates a point. The law was well intentioned, but poorly implemented because it was perceived as unfair and did not achieve the goals (reduce costs & improve outcomes) it was designed for. A better system, IMO, would be to have everyone pay a set percentage for their drugs (possibly with a cap on monthly expenses), but shrink the formularies to help reduce costs.
IMO, the keys to making health care reform work are transparency for all parties involved on things like cost and alternative options, implementing creative ways to reduce cost, and increasing patient involvement in their health care decision. Currently, none of the providers, private or government, do this. There is plenty of blame for all parties involved.
I believe in government assistance, but not in the government providing everything. Personally, I feel we can offer a very basic level of service to all of our citizens, but if you want better it should be up to you to obtain it. To make a car analogy, everyone can get a Kia Rio, but if you want an accord, NSX, or 911, then its up to you to make up the difference.

I heard about the constitutional rights, but CA state requires every driver to have car insurance otherwise they won't renew your car license. Is this also a constitutional right?

Back to the basic question: Is it a right or privilege of all US citizens to have health care?

Firstly, the car insurance analogy doesn't pass muster. You don't have to own or drive a car. You're not mandated by law to purchase something. You don't have to drive. But there are constitutional issues here with this new mandate.

http://blogs.ajc.com/bob-barr-blog/2010/03/29/states-must-challenge-health-care-law/

Secondly, I don't think health care is a right or a privilege of US citizens. It is a service. Is owning a house or lodging a right or a privilege? How about Food? We just happen to live in a moral society that does its best to provide for all.

Back