• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Heat in cabin

I have a 95 NXT. On a nice day, 75-80 degrees, top off, I feel heat hitting me while driving. I reminds me of some of my older cars with very little firewall insulation. Any ideas on what may be the cause or is this normal?

It's the sun!!

Seriously though, I can't imagine. You'd probably need to try to determine where, in general, the heat is being radiated from.

The only problem(s) I've ever had (in other cars) that were anything like what you're describing were cause by a heater valve (in the cooling system line) which was defective or not closing completely, thus allowing coolant flow through the heater core even when the heater control was set to full cool position. In that case, obviously, the heat was coming from the vents. Could it be coming from the vents?

Richard
'93 Blk/Blk

It just feels like it is coming from under the dash which I know just does not make much sense. There is nothing with these cars that would contribute. Oh well, it is probably just me. Thanks.

Doesn't sound normal to me. I would suspect an issue relating to the air mix control motor / heater valve, or something in that area. Perhaps someone who knows more than I do (almost nothing) about this area can elaborate. Isn't all that stuff basically "under the dash"?

Richard
'93 Blk/Blk

many times you'll find out that alot of wires and cable etc. that go through the front fire wall will have gromets orboots to seal them from getting cut or air coming thought the thin metal firewall. Sometime these tend to come out leaving a hole that air can get inside the car it could only be the size of a quater but at 60 mph that could be the prolem. Check under the dash and see with a flash light if this is indeed the problem.

Let me put it this way, guys. In the case of a showroom stock car that hasn't been "messed" with (I'm being kind), the most likely cause of such an issue would be an malfunction of the HVAC system such as I referred to above.

Lots of things pass through the cabin walls which use grommets/boots/pass-throughs to maintain the sealing integrity of the cabin. Those don't normally fall out or lose their integrity all by themselves.

If however someone has "messed" with the car who either didn't know what they were doing, or were careless in what they were doing, then the cabin sealing integrity could certainly be compromised, and that would be a logical place to look.

Some may have one problem, where others may have fallen victim to another.

A good rule (particularly with Hondas) is that if you're experiencing a problem, and someone has "messed" with the car in an area which could be the cause, always start your search in the area someone has "messed" with.:)

Richard
'93 Blk/Blk

Is this heat also generated with the climate control on the off position, maybe it is just the cabin heater trying to maintain the selected temperature and not achieving it because of the open roof.......

The climate control is definitely off when this happens. I haven't had time to check for any open holes under the dash yet. I have only driven the car a few times since I bought it last month. I have not started to look for the problem yet. But the heat is hotter than the ambient air.

Its the radiator heat creeping through the cracks between the blower assembly and then traveling through the AC vents and then into the cabin. I made a LARGE heat sheild that pushes the air through the radiator and then is directed down to the ground and ends right before the battery.

Good reference ak

I noticed this on my 1997. I found that hitting the recirculate button stops the problem. What happens is the default option is the "outside air button", which comes on automatically even if the climate control system is off. So as you are driving, it's sucking air through the system (which is hot because the car is running) By hitting the recirculate button.... it grabs air from inside the cabin which is the ambient temp.

EndlessNA1 said:
Its the radiator heat creeping through the cracks between the blower assembly and then traveling through the AC vents and then into the cabin. I made a LARGE heat sheild that pushes the air through the radiator and then is directed down to the ground and ends right before the battery.

i experience the same problem. the radiator theory seems to make sense. i was planning on making a shield to route the air out through the vented (nsx-r) hood. (which is the intended function of the hood anyway), but i'd rather buy one. anyone aware of where i can purchase that piece?

newby said:
Good reference ak

I noticed this on my 1997. I found that hitting the recirculate button stops the problem. What happens is the default option is the "outside air button", which comes on automatically even if the climate control system is off. So as you are driving, it's sucking air through the system (which is hot because the car is running) By hitting the recirculate button.... it grabs air from inside the cabin which is the ambient temp.

Hitting the recirculate button does not fix it for me. It seems taht if I don't have the AC on, the air blows warm air no matter what position the AC unit is set at...

I have noticed something for a while, but cannot confirm ANY documentation about it. If my climate control is turned off, the left knob seems to control the temp of fresh air. I know this does not make much sense, but when I turn the knob to the blue side, my "fresh air" is cool. If I leave the knob at let's say 11:00 o'clock the "fresh air" is warm.

I was on a trip last weekend and repeatedly could get the "fresh air" to change temp by adjusting the left knob with the climate control off. I do not know why.

So if my theory holds any water (not sure it does) try turning your CC temp knob to the blue side all the way and see if the warm air stops:). It worked for me. BTW, typically I would have it set at 70-72, so when the CC is off, I feel warm air, until I turn the knob to 60.

HTH,
LarryB

Larry Bastanza said:
I have noticed something for a while, but cannot confirm ANY documentation about it. IF my climate control is turned off. The left knob seems to control the temp of fresh air. I know this does not make much sense, but when I turn the knob to the blue side, my "fresh air" is cool. If I leave the knob at let's say 11:00 o'clock the "fresh air" is warm.

I was on a trip last weekend and repeatedly could get the "fresh air to change temp by adjusting the left knob with the climate control off. I do not know why.

So if my theory holds any water (not sure it does) try turning your CC temp know to the blue side all the way and see if the warm air stops:). It worked for me. BTW, typically I would have it set at 70-72, sowhen it the CC is off, I fell warn air, until I turn the knob to 60.

HTH,
LarryB

Turning the knob to cold still blows out warm air for me :confused:

DId anyone ever get any resolution to this issue. MY A/C doesn't work and I don't understand how the evaporator could affect the hot air when the climate unit is off. If its on, I just get hot air all the time no matter what I set. Any more ideas? Or am I just gonna have to shell out cash to Acura to fix this?

Turns out it was my heater valve adjustment. Even on "Cold" it was still about 50% open, I readjusted the cable and now I have cold and hot air. No more hot air all the time! Thank god.

Mine was corrected (1995) when BrianK fixed my HVAC board. I still have not fixed my compressor, but I am no longer getting the dreaded hot foot. I think this is a far advanced symptom of pending AC board failure. JMHO

SaberX said:
Turns out it was my heater valve adjustment. Even on "Cold" it was still about 50% open, I readjusted the cable and now I have cold and hot air. No more hot air all the time! Thank god.

Can you elabolate on how you adjust this? Thanks

-ak

Back