• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

heater core problems?

How common are heater core problems?
What are some signs of a bad heater core?
How much to repair/replace it?

Thanks!!

Are there hoses and clamps that need replacing? At full throttle through 1st and 2nd gear I smelled coolant,don't think it's the head gasket,could it be the heater core?

I have never heard of a bad heater core, its well made and well supported so they never fail. What kind of problems are you having?

- - - Updated - - -

Are there hoses and clamps that need replacing? At full throttle through 1st and 2nd gear I smelled coolant,don't think it's the head gasket,could it be the heater core?

It could be anything, hoses are replacement items but the small ones last a long time.

I smell coolant with the heater on and am slowly loosing coolant. I started the repair process today by removing the dash to get access to the mixer box. Still a lot to do.

Pulled up the carpet today. Figure if I've got the dash off, might as well clean up the floors too. Wondering if I should call someone to reclaim the R-134 before i get the a/c, heater box out or just set it free. Any thoughts?

I think I found the problems,yes more than one.The nylon drain plug on the top of the radiator,and the overflow tank cap.
Got a new Koyo,low temp thermostat,and will be monitoring with my nose! No new cap yet,that will be next pending sniff results.

Just got the heater/evaporator box out. What a hassle. I can't imagine paying the Acura stealership to do that. It's trashed to say the least. Guess i should've expected that with a 23 year old vehicle. Next up, selling the wife on buying a new unit...

You'd better sell her on an Evaporator as well. If it's original, now is the time. They all eventually leak. Expansion valve is already attached to the new one. I can't stress this enough. You only want to pull that dash once, right?:wink:

Green light from the frau...just ordered the entire unit, but got word it's back ordered. Hopefully not discontinued. Yes, dash off only once. Once in a lifetime is enough.
Different subject/thread hijack alert...Watched "Senna" last night on Velocity. Didn't follow F1 during his life. Very sad to have lost him. Interesting that his death is the last driver death in F1.

Got the word from the Acurapartsnow.com folks. PN 79100-SL0-306 is discontinued. Had to order the reportedly last 79100-SL0-A03 in the CONUS. Hope it fits in my '91. Cost me another $400 over the-306. Now how to tell mama..."Happy Mothers' Day"?

Back