• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Helmet Deals

I have no financial interest in this, just passing along some good deals I saw today while buying a helmet.

Wine Country Motorsports (http://www.winecountrymotorsports.com/), located on the premise of Infineon Raceway has some good deals on Sparco and Arai helmets.

Their price on the Sparco WTT-F1 helmet was $599 (list is $819) and their price on the Sparco WTT-KF was $549 (list is $749). I've been browsing the web researching helmets and those seem like really nice prices. Both were nice helmets, comfortable and airy for me but the padding didn't fit me as well as the Arai so I ended up buying that instead. They're running a 10% off sale on Arai helmets so I got a nice deal anyways.

Those of you interested in getting a helmet might want to look them up.

This is the text taken from a newsletter published by the Snell Memorial Foundation, dated January 2005 - Issue 40. The second paragraph is probably the most important if you are purchasing a helmet for competition.

M2005, SA2005 and K2005 labeled helmets will not be made available to the public until October, 2005. However, this is not necessarily a reason to delay helmet purchases. The Snell 2005 standards represent only an increment of improvement on existing requirements. Many Snell M2000, SA2000 and K-98 headgear already meet them. If you need a helmet now, don’t put off the purchase until next October. A well fitting, comfortable and good looking Snell 2000 helmet will not turn into a pumpkin at midnight, September 30, 2005. You will not have to run out immediately to buy another. By the same token, if you need a helmet late next fall and while you’re looking over the Snell 2005's, you happen to find a new Snell 2000 configuration that fits well and comfortably and looks good on you, well hey, you can stop looking right there.

If you’re looking for a Snell certified helmet for use in organized competition, however, please consult the rule books and, maybe, the officials before making a purchase. We recommend that these organizations allow helmets certified to the appropriate, current or immediately previous Snell standard but this is purely a recommendation. Racing organizations set their own policies for helmets.

ss_md said:
This is the text taken from a newsletter published by the Snell Memorial Foundation, dated January 2005 - Issue 40. The second paragraph is probably the most important if you are purchasing a helmet for competition.
If you're participating in HPDE track events held by not-for-profit marque clubs (NSXCA, BMW CCA, PCA, FCA, etc) and/or by for-profit organizations, the common practice has been to allow helmets with only the two most recent Snell standards, plus about a year or two to phase in a new standard when it comes out. So, for example, Snell SA95 helmets will probably start being disallowed in 2007. If this practice continues, then the SA2000 helmets that are currently on the market will start being disallowed in 2012 or thereabouts, while an SA2005 helmet would be allowed for five years beyond that point. I doubt that these groups will keep track of which SA2000 helmets meet SA2005 standards, and which ones don't. So, while the Snell advice about SA2000 helmets not turning into a pumpkin with the release of SA2005 helmets is true, the SA95 helmets will indeed be unusable within a very short time, and the same will likely happen with the SA2000 helmets five years from now.

Here's my advice. If you don't have a helmet and you want to participate in track events in 2005, by all means buy an SA2000 helmet now. However, if you already have a helmet and you're thinking about replacing it, you might want to wait a year and buy an SA2005 helmet, so you can still use it five years longer.

Back