• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help! 10mm Brakeline nuts on ABS Modulator?

I am in the process of swapping out my entire ABS Modulator/Accumulator, however I can not get loose the 10mm nuts where the Brake Lines connect to the Modulator. My 10mm wrench is bending when I try to loosen them???? I have applied a nut/screw loosening spray but they still will not budge.

Anyone have any tricks or advice? Is there another tool I should try using other than a basic 10mm wrench?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Chris
91 NSX Black
143K Miles

Chief,

What you MUST HAVE is a "line wrench"(some folks call them "flare" wrenches), basically a five sided open end wrench. Go to Sears, a few bucks. A metric set is $25. Do not touch brake lines without them:)

HTH,
LarryB

You are so right Larry I tried to get my brake lines off with a regular metric wrench no way...my buddy came over with a nice set of Snap On Flared wrenches and No Problem Man!!!...they did the trick.

Larry / Steven

Thanks for the replies. I will head to Sears tomorrow for the flare wrench.

Larry.....you and I met at the Dallas NSXPO....my NSX was the one that lost brakes on the highway. It happened once again this past September.....all I did to correct things was to bleed my brakes....(did not have to replace the master cylinder as I did in Dallas) but still have not been able to explain why my ABS modulator kept chirping away just prior to my brakes going out.

Today I went for a drive and my modulator kept engaging every 10 seconds or so. So I decided today was the day I would replace the whole accumulator/modulator (I have had a spare on had since the fall) assembly before I loose my breaks again.

Once again thanks for the insights.

Chris
91 NSX

Flare NUT wrenches

They're flare nut wrenches (The nut is on the end of the flared tubing). Also called tubing wrenches. Facom makes some of the nicest ones, they open up and then clamp completely around the nut. Griot's used to have them, don't see them there now. Great for brake & fuel lines. Won't strip the nut & mash your knuckles.

Edit- found them again, not cheap!!
http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_2000&L2=L2_2010&SKU=FK292

Well I purchased a set of flare/line wrenches at Auto Zone this morning. Unfortunately I was only able to loosen 1 of the 4 lines. The wrench just spins on the other 3. Not sure what to do...guess it is time to give Barney a call.

Thanks everyone.

Chris

Back