• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help - A question for the auto NSX

I just test drive a 92 NSX today. The car generally is in great condition, both inside/out. The drive was good too.

However, I have some concern about the transmission. When I shift from "P" to reverse "R", the car has a very obvious "lock into the gear" sound (and shake once), the same happened to the shit for "P" to "D" or "N" to "D", the "lock into gear" and the shake (once only) is quick obvious.

The mechnic said it was quite normal for all the NSX. Could some experts here confirm the same or if not,what are the possible problems.

With great thanks, folks.

I have not noticed any unusual or extreme "shake or Bump" when shifting into gear. Is it reving too high (>500 rpm) at idle? If not, I'd beware...

------------------
no-thanks-i'll-park-it-myself

The automatic shifts into the selected gear very obviously but without any significant noise in a healthy specimen. The upshifts when left in drive should be very smooth under normal acceleration. If it makes noise or shifts too abruptly during normal acceleration, it's not right. By the way, these are actually very durable transmissions
unless they been deliberately abused.

I've owned an automatic and it, just like the manual cars, do have a bit of slop in the differential.

It's not unusual to get a slight "clunk" when you shift into drive or reverse when the brake is applied.

You should NOT, however feel ANY clunking at all when the car is moving.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

[This message has been edited by Jimbo (edited 09 September 2002).]

It is not abnormal for the A/T to have a solid hollow clunk when put into gear. More so if you go from a forward gear to reverse.

I also think it is the stacking of the freeplay in the gears and diff.

As the others have said, it shouldn't make noise while driving.

HTH,

Woodwork

------------------

Back