• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help! Acura Memphis, TN wants $3500 for Timing belt replacement!!!

Hey guys, I moved back to Memphis from Atlanta, and am now looking to get my timing belt done. The dealer in Memphis originally quoted me $3900 and reduced it (10%) to $3500 after seeing the expression on my face. My car is in good condition and am considering replacing the belts and fluids due to years not milage. The service manager said it included...
1. Timing belt
2. Water Pump
3. Drive Belts
4. Coolant fluid
5. Brake fluid
6. Transmission Fluid
7. Colant hose
8. Adjusting the vtech valve gasket, and some other adjustments.
9. New Spark Plugs

Is this what it should cost here. I am having trouble believing they are giving me a deal as they said. I called the Atlanta dealer where I use to go and they quoted me $2200 for the same stuff. But I don't know about driving to Atlanta. What prices are you guys getting. Any recomendations or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob (94 NSX RED 54,500 miles)

Hey guys, I moved back to Memphis from Atlanta, and am now looking to get my timing belt done. The dealer in Memphis originally quoted me $3900 and reduced it (10%) to $3500 after seeing the expression on my face. My car is in good condition and am considering replacing the belts and fluids due to years not milage. The service manager said it included...
1. Timing belt
2. Water Pump
3. Drive Belts
4. Coolant fluid
5. Brake fluid
6. Transmission Fluid
7. Colant hose
8. Adjusting the vtech valve gasket, and some other adjustments.
9. New Spark Plugs

Is this what it should cost here. I am having trouble believing they are giving me a deal as they said. I called the Atlanta dealer where I use to go and they quoted me $2200 for the same stuff. But I don't know about driving to Atlanta. What prices are you guys getting. Any recomendations or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob (94 NSX RED 54,500 miles)

I haven't talked to him in a little while but since you live in TN you would be wise to contact BarnMan. I live in St. Louis and he did my first replacement (and will do my second when I do it). He is fantastic, knows our cars, lovs are cars, has more experience then all Acura dealers in St. Louis (put together) and can do TB's in his sleep.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/member.php?u=4388

I haven't talked to him in a little while but since you live in TN you would be wise to contact BarnMan. I live in St. Louis and he did my first replacement (and will do my second when I do it). He is fantastic, knows our cars, lovs are cars, has more experience then all Acura dealers in St. Louis (put together) and can do TB's in his sleep.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/member.php?u=4388

+1

I am good friends with Barney. Just outside of Nashville in Ashland City (west side of the city). If you want his contact number, send me a PM and I will drop you his cell phone number.

He is the only person that will touch my NSX, as you will not find a better NSX mechanic on this side of the Mississippi. Plus, when you hear what his normal labor rate is you will freak!!

Thanks,
Nathan

The quote you received is out of the ball park. Don't even consider it.

NEVER take your car to Acura of Memphis. They will rip you off whenever they can ! They quoted me the same deal a few years ago when I was needing mine done and I just laughed when they told me they have to "drop the engine" to do the job.... ha ha...

There's a few of us from Memphis, let me know if you have any questions :wink:

I would have asked if that $3500 came with a dinner also? Because I usually get dinner first, before I get F---ed. :eek:

I think the title of this topic is misleading, because it implies that the $3500 is ONLY for changing the timing belt (and presumably the water pump). So everyone immediately jumped to the conclusion that it's a ripoff.

Here are typical prices from dealers for the major services we're talking about:

- $1500-1700 for replacing the timing belt and water pump
- $600-1200 for replacing all the cooling system hoses
- $800-1300 for the 60K service, which includes fluids, filters, plugs, and valve adjustment

Add these numbers up and the total for all these services is $2900-4200.

I'm not sure whether your quote includes ALL of these services. For example, does it include all 23 cooling system hoses? Valve adjustment? Filters (air, oil, fuel)? If it does, then the $3500 quote is really not out of line at all; in fact, it's right at the midpoint of the above ranges. I'm not saying it's a bargain, and I agree with the recommendations of others to take it to Barney (Barn Man) who will probably cost less. But it's a typical dealer price, and not outrageous, as long as it includes all of these services (but if it doesn't, then it's high and possibly exorbitant, depending on what's omitted).

If the Atlanta dealer is asking $2200, they almost certainly are NOT including all of the above services.

Last edited:
I think the title of this topic is misleading, because it implies that the $3500 is ONLY for changing the timing belt (and presumably the water pump). So everyone immediately jumped to the conclusion that it's a ripoff.

Here are typical prices from dealers for the major services we're talking about:

- $1500-1700 for replacing the timing belt and water pump
- $600-1200 for replacing all the cooling system hoses
- $800-1300 for the 60K service, which includes fluids, filters, plugs, and valve adjustment

$1500-$1700 for a TB/WP replacement is way too expensive. He can get it done for a lot cheaper.

In addition, the other charges you listed are also too expensive.

Barney can take care of him for a lot less. Period. Not to mention, Memphis Acura's lead tech has practically no experience on NSXs. Why would you want to pay that much for a dealership that has practically no experience working on the NSX? Even then, if you can say yourself close to between 40-50% off, wouldnt you?

$1500-$1700 for a TB/WP replacement is way too expensive. He can get it done for a lot cheaper.

In addition, the other charges you listed are also too expensive.
No, it's not "too expensive". That's what dealers are charging, and most independent mechanics (including Barney) are probably going to be right around the bottom end of the ranges I quoted above.

Also note that there have been numerous price increases on OEM parts recently, so anyone doing all three of these services (even DIYers) will find themselves paying $400 or so more than they did a few months ago.

Barney can take care of him for a lot less. Period.
Yes, Barney probably can do it for less than Acura of Memphis. But that's not the main reason why I said it was a good recommendation; it's a good recommendation because Barney is a good mechanic with a lot of NSX experience. Can Barney do the services I listed for a whole lot less than the low end of the price ranges I quoted above? I really, really doubt it.

Why would you want to pay that much for a dealership that has practically no experience working on the NSX?
I wouldn't. I'm not pushing this dealership, and I don't know why you're getting all hysterical about it. I simply was noting that the price ranges I quoted above are what you would typically find at most dealerships, including ones whose techs have a lot of NSX experience. And the $3500 total for all those services (the ones I listed, not the list in the original post) is not unreasonable; ask around, and you'll find that some dealerships charge less, and others charge more. If you can get it done for less by a mechanic with a lot of NSX experience, by all means do so.

Last edited:
No, it's not "too expensive". That's what dealers are charging, and most independent mechanics (including Barney) are probably going to be right around the bottom end of the ranges I quoted above.

Also note that there have been numerous price increases on OEM parts recently, so anyone doing all three of these services (even DIYers) will find themselves paying $400 or so more than they did a few months ago.

Yes, Barney probably can do it for less than Acura of Memphis. But that's not the main reason why I said it was a good recommendation; it's a good recommendation because Barney is a good mechanic with a lot of NSX experience. Can Barney do the services I listed for a whole lot less than the low end of the price ranges I quoted above? I really, really doubt it.

I wouldn't. I'm not pushing this dealership, and I don't know why you're getting all hysterical about it. I simply was noting that the price ranges I quoted above are what you would typically find at most dealerships, including ones whose techs have a lot of NSX experience. And the $3500 total for all those services (the ones I listed, not the list in the original post) is not unreasonable; ask around, and you'll find that some dealerships charge less, and others charge more. If you can get it done for less by a mechanic with a lot of NSX experience, by all means do so.

Oh there is no hysteria here. I am not going to bother replying to everything you said, because I dont like these back and forth conversations. He will save alot having Barney do the work, and will get better work than what Memphis has to offer. That is all.

NEVER take your car to Acura of Memphis. They will rip you off whenever they can !

I totally agree!

nathan said:
I am good friends with Barney. Just outside of Nashville in Ashland City (west side of the city). If you want his contact number, send me a PM and I will drop you his cell phone number.

He is the only person that will touch my NSX, as you will not find a better NSX mechanic on this side of the Mississippi. Plus, when you hear what his normal labor rate is you will freak!!

100% truth. Nobody else touches mine either - including when I lived in West TN, Maryland, Michigan and probably now that I have moved to Arizona.
You won't find anyone better personally or professionally, period.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.
I will contact Barnman to get a quote from him soon. Also I will also get better clarification (a list) from Acura Memphis on what all they are including before I call. I do not remember them saying anything about all the collant hoses. I did not know there were so many. They did not give me a list of everything, just told me that it will cost $3500 to do the basic stuff. And sorry if the title is misleading I will clarify and (stand corrected if need be)when I get a complete list. Also since my post I called different dealers and am getting prices in all ranges. From $2000 to $3000. But Memphis is still the highest. Take it I did not ask if they would change all the hoses just if they included changing the collant hoses and other stuff I listed.

Thanks again and hope to meet with everyone someday.
-Bob

I will contact Barnman to get a quote from him soon. Also I will also get better clarification (a list) from Acura Memphis on what all they are including before I call. I do not remember them saying anything about all the collant hoses. I did not know there were so many. They did not give me a list of everything, just told me that it will cost $3500 to do the basic stuff. And sorry if the title is misleading I will clarify and (stand corrected if need be)when I get a complete list. Also since my post I called different dealers and am getting prices in all ranges. From $2000 to $3000. But Memphis is still the highest. Take it I did not ask if they would change all the hoses just if they included changing the collant hoses and other stuff I listed.
Sounds good.

If I were you, rather than asking each place for a list of what THEY are including, I suggest instead giving THEM a list of the work you would like done, with some detail (i.e. if you want ALL 23 cooling system hoses replaced, say so). This will enable you to make sure that all the work you need done gets done, without any add-ons on their part, and also enables you to compare quotes from multiple places. (Although I would be confident just taking it to Barney without bothering to compare quotes elsewhere.)

You can find the recommended maintenance items in the schedule in both the owner's manual and the service manual. A few notes on that - The schedule does not mention replacing the water pump, but it is normally done at the same time as replacing the timing belt. It also does not mention replacing the cooling system hoses, but they are 14 years old and this is the right time to do it (it also saves work doing it at the same time as the water pump). The schedule mentions flushing (changing) the coolant at 45K/75K/etc but it is normally done when you replace the water pump and/or cooling system hoses.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!

Last edited:
Sounds like you need A GURU at a fair price
What do you do when you get your first NSX and want someone to work on it and it woul cost a arm and a leg? Well if you’re in the North East your in luck, I’ve just got my guru, Ben Schaeffer, owner of Daisy Import Auto Care in Woodbine Maryland. Within moments of just walking around my car, looking under it, over it, and through it, he knew more about my car then the last mechanic did after having it for two days. Ben knows ware to look and what to look for, he has fifteen other NSX he maintains plus his own, ware can you go and see two or three (he had six one time) other NSX in the bays. If you live on the east cost it will be will worth the trip to Ben’s shop just to talk to him and pick his brain. Look him up on the web, I did, and I’m truly glad I did. I have my guru do you?

Last edited:
Acura of Memphis....what a joke! Sounds like they have NOT changed a bit. I had first hand experience with them(first NSX). What a nightmare! Did I mention Nightmare!!! Barney is your man on the NSX trust us in this area.

I remember there was a white 97 with tan interior for sale 2yr back and I stopped in to check it out the following day. I will never forget it had H&R lowering springs and the tech said they were going to "raise the car" with twisty bolts betwen the springs @ the managers request:confused: to prevent rubbing!:eek::eek: Scary............

Back